• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate Hunting Load (.308) Whats your favorite recipe?

bruddah

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2010
Oregon
Sound off guys! I know we all like to punch holes in paper and get uber small groups, but on the practical side of things, what is your favorite (or most accurate) hunting load for .308 ??

I've got some Berger hybrids that are supposed to be good for hunting as well as target shooting.

I've also got some 178 gr A-Max that are supposedly good for hunting as well.

What say you?

howa 1500 with a 24" barrel
42.2 grns varget
165 gr sierra game king
2.81 oal
nosler brass
winchester large rifle primer

CZ550 Varmint Rifle
165 gr Sierra Gameking Spitzer Boattail
42.3 gr Varget
Lapua brass
CCI Large Rifle BR-2 primers

I also should have asked what kind of groups you guys are getting with these loads.

Anywhere close to what you can get with match grade bullets?

Thanks!

45 GRS Varget
165 Nosler ballistic tip
Hornady Match Brass
Federal primers
Custom 308 24#brux
Shoots in the high 30's to mid 40's

From 18.5" Criterion barreled AR:
178 grain Amax
42.3 grains H4895
2.81 COAL (magazine limited)
solid .75 MOA, 2550 FPS suppressed
Unfortunately untested on actual live targets...hoping soon.

168 Berger VLDs (hunting/orange box)
Varget 44 gr.
Fed 210M primers
Lapua Brass
Mag fed jumping .140 to lands (2.810 OAL)
Velocity 2650 ftps
22 inch barrel (Factory TC Icon Precision Hunter)

Very accurate load, deadly on deer and hogs.

Last edited:
load in my first response, grouped .269" Another good load of mine is a 168 berger vld hunting, nosler brass, wlr primer and 42.5 gr varget. it shot to .313"

178 amax
2.8 COL
44gr Varget
WLR
2650 out of 24" 5R
Sub moa easily with most around half moa groups

What manufacturer of bullet?
Do those hollow point bullets hold up well on impact on big game?
Thanks!

Hornady of course. Dont know, havent shot anything but paper with them, have no doubt they'll drop a deer in it's tracks. Guess I'll have to fill some milk jugs with water, shoot them, and see what I get as far as weight retention.

71.5 clicks of aliant pp2000mr under a 208 A-max seated to mag length in a 16" 10 twist AR-10, shoots about 1.5" at 400 and hits like a sledge... Haven't killed a hog with it yet but I will...Runs about 2375fps

71.5 clicks of aliant pp2000mr under a 208 A-max seated to mag length in a 16" 10 twist AR-10, shoots about 1.5" at 400 and hits like a sledge... Haven't killed a hog with it yet but I will...Runs about 2375fps

Not familiar with that terminology. How many grains is 71.5 clicks?

Just shot a 12 point 2 weeks ago with this...dropped him in his tracks at 180yrds.

150gr nosler green tip ballistic hunting bullet
43.2 gr of IMR4320
2.78 OAL. out of a DPMS LR308L

45gr varget
175 smk
Win brass
Fed 210m
26" tube
2732 fps

It's all about shot placement. I know where its going to hit.

Hornady 165 gr SST
44.3 gr of Varget -or- 44.5 gr IMR 4064
Hornady brass
Fed. primers
Shot 1 MOA or better in my former Rem 700 SPS Tactical
The Varget loading shoots 1.25 to 1.5 MOA in my LMT MWS 18"

130 grain TTSX
46.5 grains of Varget
Winchester brass
Winchester SLR primers

Shoots 3/4 MOA, fast load for medium range hunting.

The Harrel precision powder dispenser is set in clicks... Lot of precision shooters use it... Example .243 Ackley Improved Match 1000 yard Varmint Rifle with Farley Action & Lilja Barrel

I think its around 42.0 but def don't take my word for it, if have to weigh again
Thanks for the info!

All the cool kids use clicks
Ahh... and therein lies the problem. I never was one of the "cool kids" lol

I'm really surprised how many of you list the match grade bullets for hunting purposes. I thought they were not supposed to be used for this purpose?

Tikka M595 with 23" factory bbl

- Winchester Brass (highest case capacity brand)
- Fed 210M Primers
- 208 gr AMax
- 50.0 gr RE-17 (very compressed, drop tube required to fill case)
- 2.996" OAL
- 2665 fps velocity
- Very accurate and feeds reliably from my factory magazine
- Don't get too hung up on 'match' verses 'hunting' bullets; shot placement and using the right bullet for the right application are more important. Thick jacketed, high weight retention, and all copper traditional hunting bullets are best for high impact velocities, closer ranges, light-for-caliber-bullets, and hitting bone to creat shock and anchor an animal... In my experience they're not so great for longer ranges & lower impact velocities as they tend to not open up enough or generate enough shock unless they hit bone. IMHO, in the wrong application they're only marginally better than FMJ's. Some 'match bullets' work extremely well on big game, especially when they are Heavy-for-caliber, have a high ballistic coefficient & sectional density, and impact at moderate velocities. My wife had no problem putting her Bison down with a 'tactical match' bullet and I've seen a dozen or so elk go down efficiently with 'target/match' bullets, with none lost. Unfortunately I can't say the same for 'hunting bullet' performance on game, but that's probably just coincidence.

- 'Hunting Bullet' is just a marketing term used when, after testing, a bullet design is found 'to not be able to hit shit' :)

Sound off guys! I know we all like to punch holes in paper and get uber small groups, but on the practical side of things, what is your favorite (or most accurate) hunting load for .308 ??

I've got some Berger hybrids that are supposed to be good for hunting as well as target shooting.

I've also got some 178 gr A-Max that are supposedly good for hunting as well.

What say you?

Last edited:
Tikka M595 with 23" factory bbl

- Winchester Brass (highest case capacity brand)
- Fed 210M Primers
- 208 gr AMax
- 50.0 gr RE-17 (very compressed, drop tube required to fill case)
- 2.996" OAL
- 2665 fps velocity
- Very accurate and feeds reliably from my factory magazine
- Don't get too hung up on 'match' verses 'hunting' bullets; shot placement and using the right bullet for the right application are more important. Thick jacketed, high weight retention, and all copper traditional hunting bullets are best for high impact velocities, closer ranges, light-for-caliber-bullets, and hitting bone to creat shock and anchor an animal... In my experience they're not so great for longer ranges & lower impact velocities as they tend to not open up enough or generate enough shock unless they hit bone. IMHO, in the wrong application they're only marginally better than FMJ's. Some 'match bullets' work extremely well on big game, especially when they are Heavy-for-caliber, have a high ballistic coefficient & sectional density, and impact at moderate velocities. My wife had no problem putting her Bison down with a 'tactical match' bullet and I've seen a dozen or so elk go down efficiently with 'target/match' bullets, with none lost. Unfortunately I can't say the same for 'hunting bullet' performance on game, but that's probably just coincidence.

- 'Hunting Bullet' is just a marketing term used when, after testing, a bullet design is found 'to not be able to hit shit' :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Thanks for the info!

Ahh... and therein lies the problem. I never was one of the "cool kids" lol

I'm really surprised how many of you list the match grade bullets for hunting purposes. I thought they were not supposed to be used for this purpose?
Check out longrangehunting.com, as the name implies they do a lot of long range hunting. Of all the "target" bullets it seems the amax performs best and just as well as many hunting bullets. One of many reasons Ive chosen to use amaxs where I can as my match bullet is the same as my hunting bullet. It makes sense IMO to do this as you want to be very familiar with the bullet youre shooting at game and what bullet are you most familiar with? The one you shoot the most. I don't know anyone who commonly punches paper with gamekings, SSTs, and ballistic tips. Amaxs for me have been very accurate, reasonably priced and work well on game judging by the many threads on LRH about the amax.

Check out longrangehunting.com, as the name implies they do a lot of long range hunting. Of all the "target" bullets it seems the amax performs best and just as well as many hunting bullets. One of many reasons Ive chosen to use amaxs where I can as my match bullet is the same as my hunting bullet. It makes sense IMO to do this as you want to be very familiar with the bullet youre shooting at game and what bullet are you most familiar with? The one you shoot the most. I don't know anyone who commonly punches paper with gamekings, SSTs, and ballistic tips. Amaxs for me have been very accurate, reasonably priced and work well on game judging by the many threads on LRH about the amax.

Good to know. My guess is that at close range you'll get jacket separation, but at longer distance and a slower speed they do better?

Bullet: Hornady 150 grain BTSP #3033
Powder: IMR4064, 42.5 grains
Case: lake city match
Primer: Federal 210 large rifle
COL: 2.735

Last edited:
Savage Mdl 10 FP-SR
Winchester Brass
CCI BR2 primer
42.5gr Varget
165 Sierra Gameking
COAL 2.80
I'm getting right at.75"-.85" groups out of this round
2562 FPS out of my 22" barrel

Savage 10P-SR
Lapua case
CCI 200
43.0 grains RL15
168 grain Berger Classic Hunter
2510 fps from 18" suppressed

165 SGK
40.0gr or 40.2gr of IMR3031 depending on which rifle it is for.
CCI 200
Whatever brass I can get my hands on

A little late to do you any good but the best load I've ever found for my 10FLP just happens to be my hunting load! Seated out to get closer to the lands (.085 jump) but still feeds 100% from the magazine. Very accurate at 100 yards, 5 shots at 200 yards measured 1.626 inches (group picture is 5 shots at 100 yards)

Bullet: Nosler 168 gr. Ballistic Silvertip
Powder: Alliant Reloader 15 46.0 grs
Primer: Federal 210
Case: Winchester (2nd Firing)
LOAL: 2.895 (2.263 Base to Ogive)
Average Velocity: 2663.36 fps
Extreme Spread: 4.69
Standard Deviation: 2.64

Attachments

• Savage10FLPRifle.jpg
    Savage10FLPRifle.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 5shots100yards.jpg
    5shots100yards.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 59
economical, simple, and should get you MOAish or less out to 500Y

22" 1:10 barrel

165gr sst
42 gr IMR4064
2.760 OAL
fed 210 primer
any brass but pmc

110gr Vmax
44 gr IMR4064
2.710 OAL
fed 210 primer
any brass but pmc

17"

165gr sst
41.5 gr IMR3031
2.760 OAL
fed 210 primer
any brass but pmc

110gr Vmax
39 gr IMR4198
2.710 OAL
fed 210 primer
any brass but pmc

Going to try:
Remington SPS tactical 18" suppressed
155 Lapua scenar
44.0 gr 4064
Lake City brass
2.810 COL
CCI primers

I've been happy with the results thus far.....still a might early...