Accurate-Mag chassis

SSW7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone have any details on this stock?

Hoping they have Savage short and long action options.

SSW7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2007
Below is a post from Savage Shooters . com, hope Monte doesn't mind!

Accurate-Mag Sport-Tact chassis system

So... I was browsing another forum this morning and happened to see a banner ad from Accurate-Mag.com... normally I kind of mentally block the ads out, but I've bought some product from this company before and was pretty happy with the results. As a result, when the ad flashed to a picture of a chassis system I did a bit of a double-take - I didn't know they *made* a chassis. Since Accurate-Mag does make factory bottom-metal I thought it might be worth checking out...

Here's a link to their catalog (never mind the year in the URL, apparently they forgot to update that):

A-M catalog

It definitely looks interesting... the butt-stock folds to the *right* over the bolt handle, which should hopefully result in it being a little more compact when stowed. Looks like it should take standard AR grips and fore-ends. The *really* interesting part is that they use a rifle 'insert' to hold the receiver... making it possible to hold a long-action *or* a short-action using the same chassis! Heck, the catalog even shows using an M1A in the same chassis setup.

To some degree, something similar could be achieved with a McRee chassis in that the center section is receiver-dependent, and simply bolts to the fore-end and butt-stock so one *could* uncouple the center portion and swap out the barreled action (long or short) as desired... but with four bolts fore and four bolts aft holding things together it isn't exactly a speedy process. No idea yet how the A-M Multi-Caliber Rifle Chassis System will compare in that regard... but I'd imagine it will be a *little* simpler.

The one big gripe I could see some folks having is that with the stationary grip location vs. the variable layout of the trigger/guard between various actions, it looks like there is a fair amount of gap between the grip and the guard... I know the older McRee stocks had a similar gap, and a lot of people griped about it.

I called them up and chatted for a few minutes... it sounds like the Savage variants may actually be available *first*, which would be pretty sweet. Projected availability is 'about' a month or two out... we'll see

I'd encourage anyone who is interested to give them a call and express that interest... give them some motivation to keep the Savage version on track.

Last edited:

sulcop96

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2011
State of confusion
Our PD is looking into the chassis system to upgrade our 700's so I have been on the phone with them several times. There are production delays because of US contract issues, and I will not go into further details on that. What I can say is that they expect the contracts to be filled and civilian sales to start up sometime late spring and early summer. I have no details on what is being offered other then the R700 and clones. Hope that helps a tad, and last time I pinged the CT office was last week so the intel is fresh.

Sully

milanuk

F'ing nuke
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    Wenatchee WA
    Yesterday they said somewhere south of $1300... guess we'll see. I kind of flinch at those kind of prices, given what a McRee or XLR goes for... then again I'd really really really like an Eberlestock M11 (if they made them for a Savage)... but $1900 is a bit steep for me. Even the M12 at 'only' $1295 makes me cringe. Here's hoping the Accu-Mag version ends up somewhere south of $1k...

SSW7

Private
    Minuteman
    Aug 23, 2007

milanuk

F'ing nuke
    Supporter
    Minuteman
  • Mar 23, 2002
    Wenatchee WA
    The buttstock looks the same on the Colt, and the overall profile is comparable... but it doesn't look like they are using the insert system - no evidence of the locking screws in the sides/backs of the center chassis.