• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate Ordnance .223

Papagallos

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
South Texas, United States
Many of you may recall that my shooting buddy and one of my best friends OG13 recently purchased a Ready to Ship Accurate Ordnance .223. When he took possession of it, he called me to brag about how bitchin' it looked and this and that and everything else in between. I made my way over to his house and quickly agreed with him. It was a beauty for sure. I took it out to the range to break-in the barrel for him. Yes, OG13 is cool like that with me. :) Within the second group and subsequent groups the rifle was shooting in the .1s and .2s. I immediately got on the phone and called Mark at AO. I said, "Hey, Mark, this is Pablo, Omar's friend. Build me a .223 with the same reamer." And boy did he ever.

Mark sent these tease pics, which further built up the excitement.

Surgeon RSR
Surgeon DBM
Bartlein, Medium Palma, 20", 1:8
Manners T2A
Timney Trigger

It finally arrived yesterday. I slapped the NF ATACR on it, and I played the waiting game for my Queen to arrive from work. As soon as I heard the garage door open, I bolted out the front door with my gear in tow and made my way out to the range. I called her to let you her know that I was going Chootin'. She bitched at me in Spanish for a few seconds. She said something about a "chancla." :eek:

It was a windy day. The Kestrel readings were Max 13.9/Avg 11.3 and Max 18.0/Avg 13.0. I wasn't too concerned about groups (But I was) more than I was about its handling, function, etc.

I got three rounds of a crappy load that didn't work in OG13's rifle to use as sighters. As expected, it shot horrible. I then pulled out the "Secret Ammo." This ammo shot extremely well in OG13's rifle and I used it as a baseline of accuracy for mine. In simple terms, if my rifle didn't shoot with this ammo, then I was going straight to the Rio Grande river to chuck it into. The pictures will tell the following story.

First 3 Sighters:

Followed by 5 shots with "Special Ammo." I thought to myself, "It's the wind, man. It's the wind."

Another 5 shots.

And the final 5 shots. The Monkey got me on the last shot!!!!!!!

So, the "Special Ammo" kicks ass in my rifle, too. This same ammo shoots stupid accurate at distances that OG13 and I are capable of shooting at. :D

Mark and the AO crew did an outstanding job. The finish, the bedding, the attention to detail, I mean everything about it is top tier. The action ran so damn smooth that I had to "press check" the initial rounds. I didn't know if I was chambering a round or not. It's that freaking smooth. This rifle is going to get better as I put more rounds through it, and I have a feeling it's going to become my favorite.

Thanks, Accurate Ordnance!!!! :)

Cheers!!!!

Last edited:
Very nice!! :D

Did they do the paint job or was that done prior to send them the parts? How did you get your hands on the RSR action?

Man you have good taste. That is exactly how I want to build my tikka, except I was going to use a rvc/sendero contour. How much would you guess it weighs with everything on it?

Accurate Ordnance already did one rifle for me and they are currently building a 300WM hunting rifle. They do great work, communicate well, and are very easy to work with. That is one nice rifle you have there and your posting may cause me to order my varmint rifle sooner than I had planned. I know you will enjoy the heck out of it.

I have a 300 WM built by AO and it holds 1/8 MOA out to distances you wouldn't believe. I would go with them again.

Last edited:
Great looking (and more importantly, good shooting) rifle!

I have talked with Mark at AO a couple of times and he really is first class. Now if I can just get the cash together so he can build me something

congrats

My 223 that Mark and Crew built for me is purdy'er:)
The first load I tried (Mark's recommendation before I even received the rifle) was 23.5gr imr4895 with a lapua 77gr scenar .010 off. When I get home I will post some pictures of how it shoots when I sometimes do my job. I have no reason to even try and develop a different load.
These guys are wonderful to work with and their products are top notch. The 223 was my second build with them and more will follow........

Here is the picture, I cut up the targets so I could put them all in one pic. I'm not the greatest shot but there are a couple there that are more than 3 shot groups.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 14
  • rKlop_223_01_ca (Large).jpg
    rKlop_223_01_ca (Large).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 20
  • rKlop_223_05_ca (Large).jpg
    rKlop_223_05_ca (Large).jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I am local to the guys at AO. I have had them do a mixture of work for me. I have also witnessed nothing but top notch work coming out of the shop. Once I graduate and get a real job they will be building me a 6.5 creed and whatever else I can afford.

Rest assured, AO makes some of the best rifles I have ever laid eyes on.

Always cool to see more good reports from their guns.

Sadly, the only thing I ever owned that they made for me was a thread protector that was a perfect fit to the barrel they cut and threaded for me. Worse than that... I lost it after using a brake on the rifle for a while haha dammit man.

Appreciate all the kind words!

Good to see those groups shrinking up. I expect your rifle will be shooting like Omar's in no time. Already looking good.

Hope everyone has a happy, safe day.

Mark

Man you have good taste. That is exactly how I want to build my tikka, except I was going to use a rvc/sendero contour. How much would you guess it weighs with everything on it?

The rifle alone feels light. However, the NF ATACR truly adds weight to it, so I'll guesstimate that it's around 12sh pounds. I am considering a smaller, lighter scope for it.

Accurate Ordnance makes a mean machine... My 223 they made for me shoots lights out too. With factory Black Hills ammo, or Hand loads
ABF3BD75-5DA4-4F22-8C7C-F8DC32323D73-3502-000003BFB0982C70_zps138512be.jpg