• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurate Ordnance versus GA Precision

NiteQwill

Best to jump high, and far!
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2012
Uncle Sam's Bottom
Looking for a custom build either in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor (leaning towards the 6.5 CM).

Now, deciding who to go with is the hard part. :) I know both companies regularly participate on the hide.

Specifically looking at the AO TMR or the GAP Hospitaller.

What do you folks think?

Does anyone know if either offers a military discount?

Can't go wrong with either one. Pick the rifle that best suits your needs. People will say their favorite, but it's YOUR money. GAP offered a military discount when I ordered mine last spring. Don't know if they still do. I would suggest contacting both companies to find out. Hope this helps.

Surly

Don't know about military discount. You will get a great rifle and top notch service from either AO or GAP.
I have from both over the years. I know the guys personally at AO and am proud to call them friends so that is where I go now.

Both companies produce outstanding performers. You can't make a bad decision between them. That said...my favorite to shoot as of now is my creedmoor built by AO.

Ao DSC_0341.jpg7mm STW_2.JPG

Both are some of the best. With great reputations. Don't know what AO lead time is but GAP is 6 to 10 months. With that being said I live in the same community as one of the best builders going right now. Tooter Meredith of Meredith rifles is building rifles to your specs with little lead time. If u have never heard of him he has been on Manners website. He is on US Optics site also. He is basically a one man shop. You ought to check him out. I am in NO way dissing the big boys. They are awesome. But being in North AL. It is absolutely the only way to go. I watched mine being built. It was awesome.

I just received a GAP 6.5 Hospitaller and could not be happier! I don't think you could go wrong with either a good friend had an AO 6.5 and it is great as well. Both are flawless and tack drivers. Wait times might be the deciding factor

I had a GAP Hospitaller in .308 and it was ridiculously accurate. Flawless rifle. I should have never sold it.

Looks like I will go with AO.

Mark is just too awesome when answering questions via email.

What AO has to offer is definitely in my price range.

The hard choice is 6.5 vs 308 and colors! :)

6.5 vs 308 isn't hard unless you want to shoot surplus ammo. AO has the 6.5 creed figured out, that's where my money would go. Either builder will deliver a product that will out shoot you.

AO just finished a build for me and I could be happier. Under .5 groups using factory 168gr ammo. Awesome CS and attention to detail. I wouldn't hesitate to go with GAP either. You might check AO they may have a rifle built and ready to go.

Looks like I will go with AO.

Mark is just too awesome when answering questions via email.

What AO has to offer is definitely in my price range.

The hard choice is 6.5 vs 308 and colors! :)

You won't be disappointed. I bought one of their 6.5 Creedmoor Tactical Match Rifles a few months ago. It is very accurate 0.100's groupings at 100 yards. The build quality is exceptional. I liked the rifle so much, I sold a few (Remington and Savage) rifles to buy another AO rifle.

You are splitting hairs here. I would talk to both and see which one gives you a warm(er) and fuzzy(er) feeling. I have had well over 10 GAP builds, all have shot under 1/2 moa. It may come down to lead time, both will perform better than most shooters are capable of descering from.

I can't speak for GAP but I can for AO.They built me a 308 and a 6.5,love both of them.They will do my next.I know everybody that works over there and they go over and beyond the call of duty.

AO just finished a build for me and I could be happier. Under .5 groups using factory 168gr ammo. Awesome CS and attention to detail. I wouldn't hesitate to go with GAP either. You might check AO they may have a rifle built and ready to go.

You could be happier?
How so?

That should read...couldn't be happier. I wouldn't hesitate to have them build me another rifle tomorrow.

Any reason to go for 6.5? I already reload 308 extensively. Meaning, I'm already tooled up on my press, Giraud trimmer, components, etc.

Is the added edge of 6.5 worth the expenses of reloading another caliber and shorter barrel life? I occasionally shoot long range and try to hunt every season...

Unless your going to shoot sub loads or the big heavy 30 cal bullets go 6.5.
As for the builder, talk to both and look at price and wait time. I have a GAP thunder ranch in 308 and love it. But I have a 6.5 creed and rarely shoot my 308 anymore. Look at the calibers that the tactical competitors are using. Don't rule out the 6mm.

Many reasons, better long range performance, higher BC bullets, less recoil to name a few.

Unless your going to shoot sub loads or the big heavy 30 cal bullets go 6.5.
As for the builder, talk to both and look at price and wait time. I have a GAP thunder ranch in 308 and love it. But I have a 6.5 creed and rarely shoot my 308 anymore. Look at the calibers that the tactical competitors are using. Don't rule out the 6mm.

Is the shorter barrel life and reloading [initial] expense worth it?

When going with 6.5 CM: 24" or 26" or ??" barrel?

(My initial plan was to build a 24" 1:10 308 rifle...)

What distance will you be shooting? My current 6.5cm build will have a 26in barrel, I want all the velocity I can get. I will not be carrying this rifle though, it will be for prone and bench shooting. If you plan on hunting with the rifle I would go with a 22-24 in barrel.

AO just built me a 308 with a 23in 1-11.27 rock barrel, it shoots amazing. If you want a 308 go with it. It's a great caliber, unless you're planning on becoming a top competitive shooter the 308 will work fine. Yes the 6.5 fights the wind better and has less drop, but both of those things can be accounted for.

Last edited:

I guess it will depend on your main application for it. I just bought a .308 Hospitaller. Neither a mountain nor a competition gun as it weighs 16 lbs with optics, rings and EFR rail. But it is surgically accurate and everything I hoped for and then some. If I ever decide to shoot something flatter, faster, and with a high BC, I might as well go all the way and get a 6.5 SAUM.

You need to ask yourself what acceptable barrel life is. I shoot 243 primarily and get around 2-2.5K rounds out of a barrel, which is acceptable considering the increased performance. Barrels are consumable, like bullets and powder, you just need to figure out if the decreased barrel life for increased performance is worth it to you, to me it is.

Reactions: Ncwg2boatguy

My 308 has a 22" barrel plus titan brake and 1&11.25 twist.
My load for 1000 yards is a 210 berger hunter. I think a 24-26 barrel would be great and if your gun will weigh 16-17 lbs
then the recoil comparison is kinda thrown to the wind. If you don't shoot comps the barrel will last a long time.
I just think with the bullets in the heavy weights, you wasting the 308 with 168-175 bullets.

My 308 with scope is around 12.5lbs and my 6.5 creedmoor is about the same weight and I can spot my shots and bullets are less expensive and brass is about the same price,
Its not an expensive cartridge and barrelife is between 2500-4000 in some accounts. I shoot around 1000 rounds a year and shoot some comps. My barrel will last 3-4 years. I have 4 years to save 700 bucks for a barrel change.
I have another creedmoor being built with a 24" barrel and don't considered being some brass and dies a deterrent to try another caliber.

I kinda rambled in the above post. But knowing what I know now, I would not have a 308
for the shooting I do which is 90% in the 850-1000 yard range. You are going to spend 4000$, get the most efficient cartridge you can get.

My 308 has a 22" barrel plus titan brake and 1&11.25 twist.
My load for 1000 yards is a 210 berger hunter. I think a 24-26 barrel would be great and if your gun will weigh 16-17 lbs
then the recoil comparison is kinda thrown to the wind. If you don't shoot comps the barrel will last a long time.
I just think with the bullets in the heavy weights, you wasting the 308 with 168-175 bullets.

My 308 with scope is around 12.5lbs and my 6.5 creedmoor is about the same weight and I can spot my shots and bullets are less expensive and brass is about the same price,
Its not an expensive cartridge and barrelife is between 2500-4000 in some accounts. I shoot around 1000 rounds a year and shoot some comps. My barrel will last 3-4 years. I have 4 years to save 700 bucks for a barrel change.
I have another creedmoor being built with a 24" barrel and don't considered being some brass and dies a deterrent to try another caliber.
Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it. I never really looked at it that way.

Now, I'm leaning more towards 6.5 due to my intended use. I already have 308 hog gun already.

You make an excellent point regarding the best caliber for the money. I agree with that statement.

Is there any dramatic accuracy differences between 24" & 26" barrels for 6.5? Maybe 50 fps velocity change, correct?

Honestly i would go with whichever of those 2 has the shortest build time, a rifle from either would have more intrinsic accuracy than most shooters could exploit.

Nice thing about 6.5 CM is lots of factory match ammo. Hornady, Winchester, C4 all have ammo readily available so you can shoot for a while then decide if you want to venture into reloading.

I have several GAP's and the Hospitaller in .308 is one of my favorites - super accurate, 1/4 MOA - simply a joy to shoot. Dealing with George and Kenny is a pleasure.

Thanks guys. I will be going with AO since they offer a price that can't be beat. 6.5 24" it is!

Mark btw has been super helpful answering questions. Talk about a man of patience.

Last edited:
I would say ZERO accuracy difference between 24-26, and very little fps.

I agree! I have a 28" barrel and can get 2850 with the 140s, but it destroys my primer pockets. I print one hole groups with 40 gr of h4350 and a 136l lapua scenar and they are pushing 2750 and works get to 1000. Don't chase velocity if it sacrifices accuracy.
NCM_0734.JPG

Thanks guys. I will be going with AO since they offer a price that can't be beat. 6.5 24" it is!

Mark btw has been super helpful answering questions. Talk about a man of patience.

Congrats! I love my 6.5 CM, such a versatile cartridge. Customer service like that is hard to find these days.

I have a 308 from AO that is just ridiculously better than I am. I also have a 338 LM from GAP that I haven't shot yet, hoping for good things.

Both are some of the best. With great reputations. Don't know what AO lead time is but GAP is 6 to 10 months. With that being said I live in the same community as one of the best builders going right now. Tooter Meredith of Meredith rifles is building rifles to your specs with little lead time. If u have never heard of him he has been on Manners website. He is on US Optics site also. He is basically a one man shop. You ought to check him out. I am in NO way dissing the big boys. They are awesome. But being in North AL. It is absolutely the only way to go. I watched mine being built. It was awesome.

Hey leggtowner, next door to you in Mississippi. What's "little lead time?" Where in north AL? Thanks.