• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accurize Savage .308 10FPSR?

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
I have mine in a B&C stock, action bedded. Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5 x 14. Best I can do at 600 is about an 8" group with M118LR and a maybe 6"+ with American eagle 150s.

I shoot it with my AAC can on it but it is about the same with or without(group size.)

This may be average for this production level? Besides handloading, is there anything that could tighten groups up?

Just not happy with performance,considering a build or just taking the plunge and buying the Surgeon.

Would you try to have the gun worked or take that money and put it toward Surgeon?

Re: Accurize Savage .308 10FPSR?

Handloading will be lots better I think, and a higher powered scope will improve things. Shooting that far also takes lots of practice and calm conditions to shoot small groups.

Until you sit down and reload some ammo for the gun then what your shooting is gonna be normal. My savage will not shoot any factory ammo at all so I load all mine and it shoots excellent.

Before you get too upset with it, try some 155gr or 175gr rounds through it. You will do better to stay away from the 150s, especially trying to shoot that far.

DK

Part of your problem is ammo selection.

If you are getting 1 MOA from american eagle 150, you should do much better with match ammo.

Is that true M118LR, or "special ball"?
Your rifle may not like the heavy bullets.

Try some American Eagle 168OTM loads. They are only about 2 bucks more per box than the 150 and are loaded with the speer 168 match bullet. Very close to 1/2 moa in both my .308's. Look to Palmetto State Armory for the best deal.

If you are on a budget, also consider USA Ammo A max loads

Thank you guys. The 150s will shoot sub moa at a 100 at times.

Best I have shot is the M852. Not a rifle handloader but I guess I need to be. Loaded pistol ammo for IDPA years ago. I will look into some reloading gear. Any recommendations?

I was just shooting 150gr AE to break in my 10FCP today at the range. Wasn't very happy with the results, even at 100 yards. A lot of people use 168gr FGMM with their .308 Savage 10s, and I'd probably use it too if I didn't reload. Only reason I bought the can of 200 AE was to let friends fireform it so I could reload the stuff.

Interesting. Stock/OEM my Savage .308 10FP Leupold Mk4 LR/T 4.5 x 14 shot the heck out of 168 and 175 match grade OTC ammunition easily 1MOA or less from 100-1000yds if I did my stuff. When I started reloading my own 175 SMK using Lapua brass it became easier to do my stuff.

After ~ 5k rounds I switched out to an XLR Chassis, a 20" Krieger #10 profile with some action work, Barrett MONDO rings, BO FTE muzzle brake and can now hit the magic < 1/2 MOA when I do my stuff. I changed to a Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50 LR/T M1 and it got much easier to do my stuff. Older eyes and thinner reticle xhairs I guess. It seemed to help me aim small.

44gr Varget
FM LR Primer
SMK 175gr
Lapua Brass
0.010 off the lands
V=2688 fps avg, SD=10 fps
Altitude ~4300+ feet
Windy as poo
crazy.gif

Sorry, OTC 175 smk ammunition shot really well also. South Western seems to be the best price performance that I am aware of. They advertise here on the Hide.

Another BTW... My stock/oem Savage suffered from copper fouling and shot best clean 3 < 100 rounds. Clean clean clean...

New set up not a problem. I tested out to ~200 rounds and was not having any problems. Copper fouling was minimized.

The American Eagle 150 is basically loaded to duplicate GI Ball Ammo, and accuracy is only mediocre.

Fed Gold Medal Match 168 or 175 will help you a lot for now.

When you handload, the 175SMK, commercial brass, Gold medal match primer and 42.2gr of IMR-4064 will probably shoot about as well as the Fed Gold Medal Match, and be good all the way out to 1000yd.

Greg

Best copper solvent? That could be an issue also. What is the cost of new kreiger?

One of the guys i shoot with has a 10 fcp sr and it will shoot a 1/2" group at 100 and a 1" group at 200 with southwest ammo 168 or 175s. I put a 4 shot string on a plate in a 3.5" group at 340 yards with it using the 175. The group was level just a little wide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fed Gold Medal Match 168 or 175 will help you a lot for now. </div></div>

+1

I wouldn't spend one penny to "accurize" it until I tried both the 168 & 175 FGMM (and maybe Black Hills/Southwest/Copper Creek loads) and none met my desired level of performance.

if you want to reload get a used rcbs rockchucker and look here for dies. a week dont go by where you dont see a set of good 308 dies on here in the used section