• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accutrigger issue

thefiremeister

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2009
Nevada
I have a Savage 10FP in 308 with an Accutrigger. I've heard about the trigger giving people problems because it was not pulled back straight. My intermittent problem is the accutrigger release ( the little blade in the middle of the trigger ) will not move at all.

I was dry firing yesterday and the trigger locked up, twice. It appears it had been reset but I couldn't move the accurelease it to the rear all. I had to lift the bolt and drop it again for the trigger to reset. After that no problem until about 2 dry fire shots later. Same thing happened.

I have not been able to duplicate the problem since then but I'm trying.

This has happened before when I was on the range but it doesn't happen very often. Anybody else had this problem?

I've already ordered a Rifle Basix trigger but I would like to know way the Savage trigger is doing what its doing.

I had one do this. I had apparently overtorqued the action screws causing part of the accutrigger to contact the rifle stock. I ended up taking a dremel and removing a little material under there which solved the problem. Hope this helps.

firemeister
If that doesn't work try turning the Accutrigger adjustment screw IN 1/4 of a turn. Mine did this and I have (as far as I can tell with my 'calibrated finger") the same trigger weight without the nuisance lock ups.
Good Shootin!

Savage recommended increasing the pressure by 1/2 lb but didn't say why that might fix it. The lock is not a huge deal around the house but I'm sure it will lock up a the worst possible time out in the field.

I had some pistol issues once and while I was shooting I was thinking about the gun failing and that plays hell with your focus. Don't want that with the 10FP.

the trigger on my 10PC locks up like this if I slam the bolt down. It breaks at about 2.25 lbs. I believe it is just a "safety" feature of the design, and it won't be as likely to occur if you adjust to a heavier trigger pull

if you attempted to decrease the squeeze weight, you probably did it too much. Add some weight back in, that should solve it.

indeed increase the lbs on it, also most do this as its a safety feature, it makes the trigger section lock out if not pulled right and disengages the sear so you have to re-cock it (happens if you pull the trigger with out the blade), its pretty normal on accutriggers, heck my 2004 model 12 does it.

anyway adjust to a higher pull weight and it should be fine, mine likes about 3lbs.

Savage recommended increasing the pressure by 1/2 lb but didn't say why that might fix it. The lock is not a huge deal around the house but I'm sure it will lock up a the worst possible time out in the field.

I had some pistol issues once and while I was shooting I was thinking about the gun failing and that plays hell with your focus. Don't want that with the 10FP.
They want you to increase the weight to increase the likelihood of the trigger returning to the fully cocked position when cycling the bolt. Too loose a return spring combined with to much grease on the sear catch allows the sear to slip past the sear catch or not even engage it at all, and it instead jams up against the accurelease.
I feel like a broken record here, but the sharpshooter supply comp trigger is the best remedy to any savage. Leaps and bounds better than rifle basix or Timney

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

I run all my accu triggers 1.5 lbs and under
if the blade locks up its because the sear is tripped
the blade did its job & prevented a slam fire
if the sear & trigger angles are correct (haven't been messed with)
and clean (no debri)
one LB spring pressure
WILL
hold the sear even with hard bolt closing -slap bump test
having sear break while closing the bolt at 2.5 spring pressure -some things wrong
be it sear
and or trigger angles
or debri
if you replace it -I'll by your (bad) accu trigger
AC is best 2 stage trigger I've ever used -
clean the trigger and try it again
pm me & I'd be glad to help you adjust it - if I can

Last edited:
Dumbest thing you could ever do. The accurelease was the only thing stopping a slamfire. Glad you live nowhere near me...

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Glad you live far away from me too....

I don't chamber a round until I'm on target, never had a slamfire in 2000 rounds, I belive I'm good thanks....

Thanks for all the input guys.

The picture below is what I found when I pulled the action out.

I went back re checked some things. With my handy dandy RCBS trigger gauge I found the trigger weight was at 1.75 lbs. I brake cleaned the sear engagement and cleaned every thing else up too. I re set the weight to about 2.245 lbs and put it all back together. I was pretty thrilled I was able to find that little adjusting tool.

I'll do some dry firing and beat up a little bit to see if it will lock up again. At 1.75 lbs it doesn't seem like thats to light.

Attachments

• 10FP-sear.jpg
    10FP-sear.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 21
if you replace it -I'll by your (bad) accu trigger AC is best 2 stage trigger I've ever used -

I'll keep the Bad accutrigger. I'll put the Rifle basix in to see how that works and if it feels any better. I was checking reviews and there are some bad review and some good reviews for the Rifle Basix. Same for SSS trigger.

The guy at Rifle Basix said he would give me a full refund if I didn't like it so thats hard to beat and it should be worth a try.

I had a bunch of issues with my previous rifle with the accutrigger, put the rifle basix or the new timney in there and move on.

Have had similar issues with mine, I ended up putting a little fingernail polish on the spring where it meets the frame, kept it from getting looser as it was used. Have two other Savages with AT and no problems, guess it's gun specific sometimes.

I have an Accutrigger that my gunsmith did this with and I have a couple others I would like to do this to, you have a link or a write up on a how to?

No, but it's very simple when your looking at it. Remove the e-clip from the trigger pivot pin, slide the pin out far enough to slip out the blade with attached return spring, reinstall pin. This is only on my target rifle, I wouldn't do it to a hunting, or rifle I was walking around with loaded... I didn't have an issue with mine, just didn't like the feel of the blade.

I had a similar issue over a year ago. Mine was also set at 1.75 lbs. I talked with my local gunsmith about it over a year ago and he said to increase the pull weight. I set it at 2 lbs and no more problems.

.......if you replace it -I'll by your (bad) accu trigger
AC is best 2 stage trigger I've ever used -

Acts238- If you are serious about wanting to buy a bad accutrigger, PM me. I have one that I'd be happy to get rid of.

OP- If you search my user name, there is a post from 2011 about my frustrations with the accutrigger. It is a horrible contraption. You will be happy with the rifle basix trigger.

OP- If you search my user name, there is a post from 2011 about my frustrations with the accutrigger. It is a horrible contraption. You will be happy with the rifle basix trigger.

good read. It least I know I'm not the only one thats had a problem. I remember setting that trigger when I got the rifle. I know I didn't set it at 1.75 lbs. I haven't shot this rifle all that much but I'll have the keep an eye on the trigger weight too to see if its going to get progressive lighter.

I should just put the rifle basix in and leave it at that but I'd kind a like see if there is anything I can do to the accutrigger to make it work like its supposed to. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the blade, if it would stay at 2.25 to 2 lbs I could live with that.

Just can't see removing the blade. I can see my self running the bolt and getting scoped.

Was experiencing the same issue with my Model 12. Trashed the Accu trigger and installed a Rifle Basix. Works like a charm.

hard to tell for sure but from the pic
your trigger looks like the edge the sear rest on is not square
-at least the edge of it
Ive had a t's that wouldn't hold 3 lb sping weight
then square up the angles - then I could easily get down to 1 lb
they are a good trigger -but if your not a tinkerer - just replace it
out of all the aftermarkets RB"s Sav 2 would be my choice

I have three savage rifles, and I'm not an accutrigger fan. My 10 pc wouldn't go lower than 2.5lbs without the blade locking as the op described. I returned the rifle and it's replacement will adjust to 1.5 lbs without any issues. I'll keep it as is because I can live with that. The other two have a timely and rifle basix 1. I could only get them down to 2lbs reliably. They work well for what I'm doing but you'd want a better aftermarket trigger for bench rest. I personally don't like depressing the accutrigger blade prior to squeezing the trigger, but it is quite safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4