• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Accutrigger Issues

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2008
Southern Indiana
www.8541tactical.com
One of the shooters at school this week is running a Savage with the Accutrigger. He has a really nagging issue. When he shoots in the rain (which we have been doing ALOT) the Accutrigger will lockup when he closes the bolt with vigor. If he closes the bolt gently it runs fine. I know that the Accutrigger is designed to lockup instead of discharge if it's jolted without the safety lever engaged. I have had it happen on my MkII when I run the bolt hard, but mine is dialed down the to minimum pull weight. This shooter's rifle is just as it shipped from Savage. This issue only appears when the rifle is soaked and not when it's dry. This issue caused him to botch the last qual we ran.

Is there an adjustment that will fix this or is it going to need a replacement trigger?

I suggested they contact Savage, but they have had bad dealings with Savage CS in the past. They had another rifle that was popping primers in the rain. Savage told them not to shoot it in the rain. Not a good answer for an LE Rifle.

Anyone have any input? I would like to be able to bring him some possible solutions Monday when I return. I am NOT a Savage guru so I am a bit lost on what is available to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
John

Re: Accutrigger Issues

All you need to do is adjust the cone shaped spring that adjusts the trigger pull weight. You should have a tool (small knurled handle with a notch). Tighten it clockwise 1/4 or 1/2 a turn, and give it a try. This problem is common on centerfire and rimfire Savages that have the trigger pull weight set too low. Must have been adjusted too light from factory.
Don't know what the rain has to do with it??

John, when I bought my lrpv with the target accutrigger a year ago, I was having the same problem. It came from the factory jammed all the way out to the lightest setting. It also came with a shit-ton, yes a shit-ton, of black gooey tar looking shit all over the trigger assembly.

So I took the stock off and I used some lighter fluid and Q-tips and got it all cleaned up and then took the little tool they sent with the rifle(which you could prolly use a little micro-flat screwdriver) and turned it a half or so turn back so that it wasn't "MAXED" out to the lightest setting possible.

Since that day after the cleaning and backing it off the maxed out lightest trigger setting, I haven't ever had an issue with it locking up under rapid bolt movement(sometimes you gotta be quick to get them little prairie poodles---this is my Dogging gun).

Also, and a fellow shooters .223 with the regular accutrigger after owning the rifle for a year and shooting it 1,500 rounds the previous year at those little dogs trying to over-run us.... he started having the same issue. Since I had trouble I carry the tools needed and I got him all fixed up out in the field. Cleaned his up.....made the trigger pull and 1/4 or 1/2 turn heavier......and he to my knowledge hasn't has an issue yet either....

I would take the action out clean up the trigger for sure and get that grease crap off....and then firm up the setting a 1/4 turn or so....should help with the problem. I don't see what the rain would have to do with it, so I hope this helps! Good luck.

-D brace

Thanks guys. I initially told him that I thought it might be set too light. I did the same thing on my MkII, but I don't shoot it in the rain. I will hunt down my accutrigger tool and take it back with me. Hopefully that will get him set. I know I would rather have a trigger that was half a pound heavier and reliable than light and not.

Exactly what I thought when I was having the issue. Let us know if it was maxed out to the lightest setting and that's what the problem was. Good luck hope you get it taken care of. -Brace

Had the same problem (sans the rain) and simply adjusted the trigger to set a bit heavier. Mine was set far to light for tactical/comp shooting.