• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

accutrigger replacement options question

mosin46

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2010
florida 32621
anybody have any experience or use of accutrigger (which i hate) replacements? brownell's has timneys at a good price now. any comments or ideas. thanks.

Reactions: Conaso
I tried the Timney, but couldn't get the pull weight down to sub 1-1/2 pounds safely when running the bolt hard. I went with the Jard 3 lever Savage trigger set at 3/4 pound. I can run the bolt hard with the Jard safely. It's not quite a Trigger Tech break, but better than dealing with the quirks of the factory Accutrigger.

tx for reply. actually 1.5-2.5 lb is fine for me on a target rifle. no creep,drag or grittyness is/as more important. anybody else got comments?

I replaced mine with the Timney and it’s great. I had the target version of the accurrigger in my 12lrp but then one day it started dropping the sear stop when I shut the bolt fast and ruined my confidence in it Timney ever since. It’s the only Timney I have cause the options are limited but it’s a great trigger

Playing with springs and an over travel screw you can get the accu down to under 1lb(mines at 14oz). I ditched the blade as well. Haven't had any issues YET. I have one non accu rifle that I've worked to 2lbs even for a few years with no failures, and it gets run hard.

Obviously ymmv, and I understand the possible consequenses of my actions tuning triggers.

Lol... OP needs advice on his Savage...and then here come all the haters to make sure their pointless opinion is heard...and better yet, recommend a rifle thats 5-8x the cost.

OP, I'm planning on getting either the Timney or the ELF trigger for mine. I've felt the Timney before and like it, but the ELF Tactical trigger looks nice too.

Lol... OP needs advice on his Savage...and then here come all the haters to make sure their pointless opinion is heard...and better yet, recommend a rifle thats 5-8x the cost.

OP, I'm planning on getting either the Timney or the ELF trigger for mine. I've felt the Timney before and like it, but the ELF Tactical trigger looks nice too.
I can hate on savages fairly since I own one:)

I can't say I have an issue with the stock trigger, I would replace it If I could get something the equal of my Huber.

I’d like to hear some feedback on the ELF. The Timney is a simple install and imo a damn nice pull. I recommend them to anyone looking for a good trigger for a Savage. Btw my 12lrp is the most accurate rifle I own. I have custom barrels that will shoot close but none better.

I’d like to hear some feedback on the ELF. The Timney is a simple install and imo a damn nice pull. I recommend them to anyone looking for a good trigger for a Savage. Btw my 12lrp is the most accurate rifle I own. I have custom barrels that will shoot close but none better.

It’s very tempting. May just be the next purchase for it, although I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the stock accutrigger.

Reactions: Average guy
It’s very tempting. May just be the next purchase for it, although I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the stock accutrigger.
Some accu triggers are pretty good.
Mine surprisingly has been totally functional really light, mine was at 14 ounces for quite a while with never an issue.
I actually brought it up to a pound and a half a few nights ago because I don’t like them that light.

That trigger has touched off over 10k shots.

Ditto, 12lrp with a Timney and a krieger and it’s a dam accurate rifle.

I have one Savage, it has a Rifle Basix now and I'm not happy with it, I have a new SSS Comp I'm gonna try when it becomes a 300 PRC.

Rifle Basix SAV-1 or SAV-2

I have SAV-1's in all four of my Savage rifles. It's a decent trigger when setup, but certainly not a Triggertech or a Geissele on a Rem700. I don't do Timmney triggers anymore due to horrible cocking piece drag on my first Remage.

Have an ELF. Just waiting to get my rifle back from Cerakote and a new sear (called Cerakoter about getting a sear, see if they come through). So maybe sometime next week hopefully I'll have an opinion on it. It's replacing an older trigger, would assume it is going to be the same feeling though.
Only put my hand on one accutrigger for about 10 seconds and put the rifle back. Did not like the feel of that blade for takeup. Felt really weird.

Reactions: Gustav7
my savage per serial # search by savage CS was a model 16 trophy hunter xp in 308. mine is criterion barreled,hs prec stock,6.5 cm. so,not straight stock at all. anyway wondering if those who have used them if they have a side or front bolt release and does the trigger bracket and safety become a fitting issue? i was unaware of the model 16. assume same internals as a 10 but would certainly check before ordering. just don't care for the accutrigger. seems like i am unavoidably jerking the trigger a lot (more than usual). just doesn't happen with my tikka.

Reactions: Average guy
my savage per serial # search by savage CS was a model 16 trophy hunter xp in 308. mine is criterion barreled,hs prec stock,6.5 cm. so,not straight stock at all. anyway wondering if those who have used them if they have a side or front bolt release and does the trigger bracket and safety become a fitting issue? i was unaware of the model 16. assume same internals as a 10 but would certainly check before ordering. just don't care for the accutrigger. seems like i am unavoidably jerking the trigger a lot (more than usual). just doesn't happen with my tikka.
Give Timney a call. I’m sure they can fill you in on the pertinent information.

Reactions: Simonsza1
Get basically anything else besides that POS Savage.
I can ping steel at 1000 yards all day long with a $289 axis chambered in 6.5 CDM right out of the box. I guess you can either shoot.... or not! I have a $3000 DDM4 PDW for silent shooting indoors but I don't see spending 2 or 3k on a sniper rifle when I can do it for $300.

It isn't only about hitting your target. Weapon malfunctions like not feeding the next round correctly, weak ejection, terrible extraction, scope bases constantly coming loose, etc. are what matter more. All very well known issues with Savage. A barrel is a consumable part, if it doesn't shoot anymore replace it and drive on.

Savage rifles are junk. Been there, done that, and I wish I could have all that money wasted on them back.

It isn't only about hitting your target. Weapon malfunctions like not feeding the next round correctly, weak ejection, terrible extraction, scope bases constantly coming loose, etc. are what matter more. All very well known issues with Savage. A barrel is a consumable part, if it doesn't shoot anymore replace it and drive on.

Savage rifles are junk. Been there, done that, and I wish I could have all that money wasted on them back.
It's a long journey from top of the line to "junk." I've put thousands of rounds through plenty of Savage rifles and they are anything but junk. The model 12 lrp with a target accutrigger set to 6 ounces is a bad mother-loving Tack driver that will handle all comers.

Reactions: NewsShooter
I'm not gonna bad mouth a Remington 700 it's a great gun. But far better? That's just not true. Better? That's debatable. They've both been around for well over a century and they both have outstanding reputations. Browning makes a bad ass rifle too. But for and economy rifle, Savage axis 2 with accutrigger to 1.5 pounds is a man amongst boys. The other guns at that price point don't hold savages beer. You can get a threaded, heavy 22" barrel and the accutrigger and a 3×9 Bushnell scope for $289.99. There is no better deal to be had.

So much greater that savage went bankrupt and Remington is still around.

OH WAIT!
They surely did file bankruptcy, 30 something years ago. They got back to profitability by doing guess what... focusing on their bolt action fire arms. They've never been as big and Remington or Colt but that doesn't mean they don't make a good rifle. Anyway, there are plenty of expert marksmen, gunsmiths, and 1000's of everyday Joe's that know savage rifles are not junk.

So much greater that savage went bankrupt and Remington is still around.

OH WAIT!
Just because a company goes bankrupt doesn't mean they made a bad product. Lots of companies go under every day due to mismanagement.

Nobody will change my opinion concerning Savage.

Dollar for dollar a savage offers a lot of value. That being said you definitely have to work on them from time to time. I have a 12LRP that is crazy accurate. The 700 platform a lot to offer. I would say the biggest draw to a 700 is improved extraction and ejection, and a better bolt lift. All of my guns that are aftermarket barreled are 700 platforms. The both offer something positive.

Ok, keep telling yourself that. A Remington 700 is a far better rifle than any POS Savage.
maybe i'm just lucky, or unlucky, but i've only had one savage rifle give me any issue at all. That said i have never owned a remington anything that was accurate and did not give me problems. Every single remington i've ever bought i had instant buyers remorse. I feel they are like name brand shoes. Just bragging rights for poorly made garbage, a pretty name on a polished turd. Smooth feeling bolt on a inaccurate rifle at 2x the price of a basic savage that shoots lights out, yeah not really better at all if you ask me. Stock for stock ill take a savage over a remington any day. Custom rifles are what you build them to be no matter what action you start with, so that is a moot point there.

The only Savage bolt actions I've tried felt like they had sand as a lubricant in the action. I'm sure there are some good ones though. One bonus of 700 or clones is so many great trigger options. I personally shoot an Impact Precision, with Proof SS barrel and I can say I haven't cycled a Savage that felt even close. YMMV

maybe i'm just lucky, or unlucky, but i've only had one savage rifle give me any issue at all. That said i have never owned a remington anything that was accurate and did not give me problems. Every single remington i've ever bought i had instant buyers remorse. I feel they are like name brand shoes. Just bragging rights for poorly made garbage, a pretty name on a polished turd. Smooth feeling bolt on a inaccurate rifle at 2x the price of a basic savage that shoots lights out, yeah not really better at all if you ask me. Stock for stock ill take a savage over a remington any day. Custom rifles are what you build them to be no matter what action you start with, so that is a moot point there.
Accuracy isn't everything as I've maintained over and over and over. When a rifle doesn't feed, extract, eject, has the base continuously loosen, a terrible trigger design, etc. it isn't a good rifle. I've owned several, and no longer own Savage or will ever again. I've also had a Savage rifle (not a cheap shitty Axis) that wouldn't maintain 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Barrels are replaceable. Every manufacturer puts out a rifle with a bad barrel once in a while.

None of my 3 Rem700's have had any action work done, and 2 are still on factory barrels. They feed, extract, eject, have a good trigger design, action screw placement makes sense, the bolt doesn't wobble or bind like a Savage, and both factory barrels shoot under 1 inch at 100.

If you're shooting F Class, never leave the bench at the range, or only hunt, a Savage might be good enough. But in my opinion and experience it still isn't a good rifle.

Accuracy isn't everything as I've maintained over and over and over. When a rifle doesn't feed, extract, eject, has the base continuously loosen, a terrible trigger design, etc. it isn't a good rifle. I've owned several, and no longer own Savage or will ever again. I've also had a Savage rifle (not a cheap shitty Axis) that wouldn't maintain 1.5 inches at 100 yards.

Barrels are replaceable. Every manufacturer puts out a rifle with a bad barrel once in a while.

None of my 3 Rem700's have had any action work done, and 2 are still on factory barrels. They feed, extract, eject, have a good trigger design, action screw placement makes sense, the bolt doesn't wobble or bind like a Savage, and both factory barrels shoot under 1 inch at 100.

If you're shooting F Class, never leave the bench at the range, or only hunt, a Savage might be good enough. But in my opinion and experience it still isn't a good rifle.
like i said, maybe luck, but i never have any of the issues you mention out of any but one savage i've ever owned. Had a savage 10 that just did not want to properly feed 6.5cm but other than that. nadda. Maybe some lose scope bases when the rifle was new in the box. So yeah, accurate and 100% reliable. Keep in mind i tend to shoot enough to wear out barrels. Just never see these kind of issues. I've yet to see any out of the box remington under $800 out shoot a $350 axis lol. That said its game over when we start talking about the premium savage offerings. Ill take my 110 FCP over anything renton offers. Just about every remington clone out there, out shoots remington. I've lost count of how many times someone tries to explain to me how good remington is IF you put work into them. Bare minimum ANY new out of the box rifle in made within the last 10 years has little excuse to not shoot 1 moa, feed properly, extract and eject properly. Remington can do most, just not shoot near as good. All of that said remington has great customer service lol. i should know.

Savage has a lot of excuses then. They don't feed, extract, or eject worth a damn. Enjoy your Savage, I'm better off without them.

Reactions: Stoweit
I replaced mine with the Timney and it’s great. I had the target version of the accurrigger in my 12lrp but then one day it started dropping the sear stop when I shut the bolt fast and ruined my confidence in it Timney ever since. It’s the only Timney I have cause the options are limited but it’s a great trigger
You want to sell that target accutrigger if you still have it? I’ve got one on my target Action and love it. I’d like to have another to replace the standard accutrigger on another action!

You want to sell that target accutrigger if you still have it? I’ve got one on my target Action and love it. I’d like to have another to replace the standard accutrigger on another action!
I actually gave it to another member awhile back.

Reactions: BDHobbs
I'll take my savage LRP over a factory Rem 700 every day of the week.
Could not have asked for more in a first centerfire rifle than my 110 Storm in .223. Several hundred rounds and no functional failures ( Well, except for a few failures to feed from the magazine early on that seem to have resolved. Savage mags are hardly the best! ). The gun itself has been flawless with typical accuracy. Would encourage anyone to get a larger bolt knob.

Haters gonna hate...

I'll stick with my shitty savages that get the job done at a fraction of the price of the eletist's rifles.
Yep..Ive got a $5500.00 Custom and it does not shoot any betterr than my $980.00 Savage 112 Target or my300 PRC 110Elite. My third Savage in 338 LM has a Accuj- trigger I dont care for.Im lookkng to replace it..It has a delay..Click,then Bang..Not just bang..LOL trigger

Savage has a lot of excuses then. They don't feed, extract, or eject worth a damn. Enjoy your Savage, I'm better off without them.
Always enjoy broad, sweeping condemnations of products ( "they " ). I limit my criticisms to my own personal experience without condemning an entire brand. I`ve had not so good experiences with Jeep vehicles and don`t personally care to have another, but I`m sure that there are plenty of Jeep owners that would have nothing else. As for Savage rifles, I have two, a 110 in .223 and a 93R17. Both are VERY accurate and both feed, extract and eject just fine. So.....at least so far after two years of extensive use..... those two don`t qualify for the all encompassing " they ".