• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Acog chevron or crosshairs

The4thHorseman

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2009
Hatboro, PA
www.comcast.net
I'm torn between the two? I've been looking between the TA31F and the one with the DOC. I was thinking of getting the TA31 w/ the chevron and adding a doc? I know some people don't like were the doc sits, but I'm not for the 45degree mount idea either? I do like the fact that LaRue makes a mount that puts the acog closer to the stock! WIth the setup like that I figure I can live with the doc. If I go with a seperate doc which one is better one with a smaller MOA or is bigger better? I figure it would come out to be about 100-200 dollars more for me to get the chevron and add the doc or just get the chrosshairs with the doc already on it?? What is the advantage of the chevron over the chrosshairs or vise versa? Thanks guys.

Re: Acog chevron or crosshairs

The cheveron at its widest point is 18 inches at 300 meters, or minute of man. It can be used to range a person all the way out to 800 once you learn how to use it, the cheveron is what the army issues for the m4's. as for the size for the doc, i prefer the large because its a inside 50 yards reflex and not going to be used for any precision since you have the acog. this is the exact setup i am going to put on my SPR.

Yeah I'm really thinking the chevron, but have not had a chance to shoot with one. My brother has the TA31F w/doc and chrosshairs. I shot VERY well with it, but was not sure about the crosshairs. I would think that the chevron has less going on inside the scope to make it easier to find a target. I could be wrong? Also which DOC setup will you be ging with a trijicon or something else?

Chevron without a doubt

i've used both , as a instructor and on my personal sdm rifle . chevron works best for CQB and cross hair for more precision shooting .

Zero tip of chevron at 100yds, base is 18-19 inch at 300 yds as someone else mentioned.

The red TA01 crosshairs work well to but can be really bright sometimes overpowering at lowlight.

Do you think if you were going with a model with a DOC or going to add one on, it would be better to get the crosshair type for precision targets 50yards and out and then use the DOC for 50 yards and closer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NOMAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chevron without a doubt </div></div>

What he said.

Most guys opt for the chevron but I really like the horseshoe/dot option that's new for this year. It just draws the eye naturally for speed and the dot can be used for precision.

Funny, all the "operatives" at arfcom and others had been giving IOR crap for their CQB reticle, and now Triji's got one its the best thing since sliced bread (I'm not referring to your endorsement Scott-the horseshoe dot is perfect for any fast reticle with BDC or stadia below the aiming point).

If IOR's eyepiece were a little more svelte I never would have let my 1.1-4 go.

LOL, yup, the new ACOG reticle is very similar to the IOR CQB, which was designed by a former Green Beret...go figure..
smile.gif

I like the idea of precision shots, but can the chevron be just as good? I'm trying to figure out if its worth it to just get the crosshairs since it already has a DOC, but if the chevron is that much better than its worth it to me to spend a little more and just add the DOC to it. I would not usr the DOC for anything more than 25yrds.

I have shot quite a bit with ACOGS. Mostly with the chevron, but I also own one crosshair ACOG with an order in for a second.

IMHO, the chevron is really good for CQB and closer in shooting. For 300m and beyond I feel better with the crosshairs.

The ACOG I have coming right now has crosshairs with the fiber optic illumination and a DOC optic. Hopefully the fiber optic makes the reticle bright enough during the day for quick acquisition, as my current crosshair ACOG is tritium-powered only which makes it a bit harder to see during daylight.

Chevron will allow you BAC when the Doc goes down (guaranteed to be a)when you least expect it to, b) when you need it most or c)both).

Want precision out to 300 and beyond. Two words for you <span style="font-weight: bold">US Optics.</span>
I had an SN4S and for the life of me can't see why I'd want an ACOG for that money bracket (had because I found an ST10 I had to have, and when the economy picks up I will own another SN4S).

I have the TA31F and it is very good. The chevron and post get a little busy between 100-200. I tend to just hold over slightly. The ranging is dead on withh m855 green tip 62 grain. I have mine on a colt 6920 with 1:7. Also look at a Larue mount. I have one on mine and have removed it a bunch of times and never lost zero.
Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ol Rob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the TA31F and it is very good. The chevron and post get a little busy between 100-200. I tend to just hold over slightly. The ranging is dead on withh m855 green tip 62 grain. I have mine on a colt 6920 with 1:7. Also look at a Larue mount. I have one on mine and have removed it a bunch of times and never lost zero.
Rob </div></div>

Is that the mount that allows the optic to sit further back? I was looking into that one. I think the advantage of getting the crosshairs is that it comes with the DOC, but like I said if the chevron is better to shoot with I would just order a doc for that one. It seems to be going 50/50 here on which one. I know its all personal preference, but I just like to hear peoples experiences. Keep them coming guys. I KNOW I was an acog for sure.

I use the TA31 LAW. I have used a few different models and thats the one I always go back to. The cross hairs helps with precision shots. I am an instuctor, and its always the one my students can use with ease.

Both work, but I prefer the chevron. I think a lot can be said about training to use the iron sights and natural point of aim and all the other principles of marskmanship as well, not to mention moving to and firing from behind cover if speed and numbers are not in your favor. A lot can be said about using one's eyes, but the trend to have a main optic, with a smaller reflex action optic (and soon to come - the minutiea optic - triplestacked - to pinpoint really small zombies, and the side-mounted pre-spot optic to allow one to turn the weapon sideways and pre-spot zombies before deciding upon on using your optic, or reflex optic, or minutiea optic) seems to have gained a wide market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The4thHorseman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm torn between the two? </div></div>

I own both and I really like the CH better. However the horizontal hash marks on the USMC model ACOG are useful for establishing lead on a moving target. But I just don't shoot as accurately with a chevron as with a CH, but the chevron can be used for range estimation which is another advantage.

The TA31DOC reticle is very bright and blocks out too much of the target, especially when it is areally bright out.I had to put some tape on top to cover it up. I'm not going to go into much detail, but the more I shot it, the more I hated it. I now refuse to buy another scope that has the caliber specific reticles. They are just annoying. I'd rather have a good 1x4 variable scope. The TA31 is a little better because it is less cluttered. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LibertyOptics</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most guys opt for the chevron but I really like the horseshoe/dot option that's new for this year. It just draws the eye naturally for speed and the dot can be used for precision. </div></div>
I have a TA01NSN-JPRD, TA31RCO-M4P-DOC and an ELCAN SpecterDR. I prefer the ELCAN reticle; as Scott suggests, a dot draws the eye (chevron) and has precision (cross), the best of both worlds.

Chevron. You may have to put some tape on the fiber optic, but I am in love with it. The range estimate and lead functionality are great.

Used and eotech with 3 X in afghanistan and it was awesome, got issued an ACOG(chevron) and have that mounted now and its starting to grow on me. I've done shoot houses with it and did really well so I don't see the need for another optic IMHO. Just remember the more shit you have on your weapon the more shit you need to keep it working.

I had a TA01 with cross-hair for a while. Great scope & I liked it very much. I sold it & purchased a TA31F with the chevron last year. Needless to say, this one aint going anywhere.

HS