• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes ACOG reticle blurry? Ideas / Help

angeldriver

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2005
Sterling Va
So I have decided to go with one of the ACOG's just haven't decided ton a reticle yet. After talking to a few folks that alowed me to look through thiers at my range (2 scopes) I was completly sold. Amazing clarity and contrast on the reticles. Saw how covering up the fiber optics increased or decreased illumination, wow was I impressed EXACTLY what I am looking for. Done, now which reticle do I want...

I decided to wait to go to a gun show before buying in hopes of comparing the different reticles. Score! Found a vendor that had about a bunch that I could look through, found the reticles that I was looking for and gave them a try. I have no idea what the issue was but the reticles on each of the scopes that I looked through were very, very, blurry. The doughnut pattern looked like 3 intersecting concentric translucent green rings, and had similar experiences with both the horseshoe and chevron. Obviuosly no help from the grumpy person at the table. I even went to a local retailer and had a slightly similar experience. Not whacked out like at the show, but one of the two I looked at appeared to be a bit out of phase as well. %50 chalked it up to a fluke.What is the deal? Cant be my eyes I was just checked out and 20/15 each eye. The only thing I can possibly think is that I have had negative experiences in artificial lighting conditions?!? And or floor models were some how damaged, but I find the possibility pretty hard to believe.

I tried many different combination's to see if was my eye relief even. But nothing helped, could not get the same great experience that I had that one day at the range.

Any idea on what I am experiencing here? I do know that ACOGs do have a little blurriness on the right side, but this is absolutely not it.

Re: ACOG reticle blurry? Ideas / Help

Depending on the mount the front sight can blurr a small portion of the FOV. Other than that it should be very clear. I would say those models you looked at later on were damaged if you did look through ACOGs at the range and those were fine.

I got a TA33-GH for $800 shipped from tatedefense on ebay, they also have a web store where it's $5 more I think. My glass is on par with some $2500-$3000 scopes I have on low power.

Do You wear glasses ? With the reticule focus being non adjustable if you have any astigmatism , like me , most of the reticules are not focused . About 75 % of the ACOG's I've looked through are blurry .

How far were you looking? Most scopes reticles will appear blurry if you are looking at something inside 25 feet. Even if they are low power scopes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C Ward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do You wear glasses ? With the reticule focus being non adjustable if you have any astigmatism , like me , most of the reticules are not focused . About 75 % of the ACOG's I've looked through are blurry . </div></div>

In order for an ACOG reticle to be clear in someone with astigmatism the reticle would have to be bent opposite to the curve of the person's astigmatism. Seems unlikely to me, and I think Trijicon has better QC than to put out something like that.

I just got my eyes checked last week 20/15. No problems there. On the range where I had a good experience they were clear at all distances. At the show I was looking over a pretty long distance 50-75yds indoors all blurry. I just cant figure this thing out.

Im leaning towards some kind of damage/defect with the floor models I have seen. Which is a little alarming that better than %50 of the ones I have seen have had an issue. That cant be right. I may just pick one up and make sure that I can send it back if I have an issue.

Any more thoughts / theorys

I've never had issues with the ones I have used/viewed. I would lean toward what someone else had said about the sub 25 feet possibility. I know when I sited in on my on a wall in the house it would be blurry but out on the range it was perfect. I was using a TA01NSN to give you a reference as to what my experience has been. I've also looked down a few TA31s with no issue.

Good thing about Trijicon though is that so long as you have your warranty info you'll get great customer service for any issues you run into. I'd say buy with confidence based on that alone.

Here's another point of reference I can try to help with.

The first image is about 3.5m from the wall. You can see how everything is blurred slightly....still functional but blurred
DSC_0707.jpg

This is down my hallway at about 8m. The wall is still blurry (my guess is from the overhead light in the hallway) but the reticle is much more clear
DSC_0708.jpg

Now the only flaw to my example here is that my focal length on my camera lens was changed from the first to the second image. Be that as it might I hope it still helps with your issue.

I had an ACOG TA-01 and thought it was the perfect scope for my M-4gerwy, great clarity, perfect crosshairs, tough and dependable. Until I started shooting groups for testing ammo and trying to stay focused on the chrosshair for long periods of time I realized that these 60++ year old eyes couldn't cut it on a scope designed for 20 year olds. The Leupold MRT Mark 4 2.5 X 8 worked out better for Me because I could adjust the focus on the crosshair.

I have the ACOG TA-01 as well that I had from my days in the Army. I love it. The clarity and optical quality is top-notch. If you order one from the factory, or use a factory distributor, you'll be happy with the outcome. The thing to remember is that ACOGs work off of an infinite focus. You have to adjust your focus a little bit to compensate and make the reticle more clear, depending on the range. There are bound to be one or two scopes that are damaged, but I don't think that's the reason. Trijicon optics are tough-as-nails reliable. They have outstanding QC. I think it's probably a matter of looking through an ACOG indoors, as that really doesn't do it justice. Like I said, I've had focus issues when using an ACOG indoors. Just a thought.

I found that my ACOG reticle was blurry if I focus on the reticle. If I focus on the target, the reticle is crisp. Just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> In order for an ACOG reticle to be clear in someone with astigmatism the reticle would have to be bent opposite to the curve of the person's astigmatism. Seems unlikely to me, and I think Trijicon has better QC than to put out something like that. </div></div>

Explain why then that there are adjustable focus eyepieces on scopes then to focus the reticule ? I can tell You that exactly as I said that the reticules on the ACOG's I've looked through and everybody that I shoot with that has an Astigmatism in there eye's has the same issue to varying extent depending on how bad it is . The exact same scope is clear for other shooters with out the vision problem . The only constant between them is the reticules are blurry for the guy's with the vision problem .

Saw the part about Your eye's just getting checked right as I hit the post button . The sight picture that You described is just like what all of us with screwed up eye's get .

I have an astigmatism problem but have progressive lens in my eye glasses with astigmatism correction. I own a TAO1, TAO1NSN, TA31F and a RCOM4 and don't have any problems with blurry reticles on any of them. Triijicon's customer service is top notch. I had the optic tube on my 31F crack. I had neglected to send in the warrenty card and they said no problem, I had it back in 3 weeks.

Found what appears to be my issue with the blurry reticle. The key was fluorescent lighting. Crystal clear under daylight but a strange anomaly under fluorescent lighting caused me blurriness.

Just me, maybe?

BTW I am extremely happy with my new ACOG.

Can any one else test/confirm the issue use under florescent/incandescent lighting and post your thoughts?

sorry that this is my first post
the issue with the infinite-focus reticle of the ACOG getting better in bright sunlight will be more easily understood by those who shoot photography, as well

by the way...
i'm greg
from the west coast of florida... and i'm a pediatrician who loves shooting sports

the brighter the light, the more constricted your pupil, and, therefore, the great "depth of field" your vision has at that moment
in other words.... an f/stop of f/16 has greater depth of field than f/2.8
so....
in brighter light, you can focus on the reticle and that which you are shooting
in dimmer light, you cannot
now.... for those of us who have gotten older (i am almost 48)...
you cannot see "close" any longer... so, you won't be able to focus on this reticle in dim light
but, bright light constricts your pupil and helps you "deal with" your inability to accommodate your lens enough to be able to have NEAR FOCUS

hope that makes sense
i have an ACOG 4x32 on my FN FS2000, by the way
the reticle is blurry to me, too.... inside
but, in the bright sun, it looks great

again....
sorry that THIS post is my "introductory" post
love this forum and the folks who participate in it

I like the "depth of field" argument. Old eyes are so much better in sunlight for this reason.