• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action screw tension

Czech

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
Gentlemen,advice needed.
Just bought a Bell & Carlson A2 Tac stock, for my Remington PSS 7mm Mag.
My question is, what is the correct tension, (in lbs) for the action screws?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Action screw tension

Are you using the stock 700P bottom metal? If so I'd keep it in the 45 - 55"lbs range. With stouter bottom metal, like Badger's M4/M5 or Williams 65 inch lbs is the norm....

Set them at 35 in/lb and shoot a couple of groups. Loosen and reset at 45 in/lbs and shoot. Repeat at 55 in/lbs and again at 65 in/lbs. Then set them where it shoots the best. You will probably end up at 35 or 45. Let us know what you find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Set them at 35 in/lb and shoot a couple of groups. Loosen and reset at 45 in/lbs and shoot. Repeat at 55 in/lbs and again at 65 in/lbs. Then set them where it shoots the best. You will probably end up at 35 or 45. Let us know what you find. </div></div>

That is interesting, Dick. Like CK, I have always torqued mine down to 65in/lb, then fire and forget. Is this true for your stocks (the Tactical line) as well? Does bedded vs. unbedded effect your recommendations at all?

Thanks as always for your wisdom!

Everyone, thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

I will be using the Remington bottom metal so starting off low seems like a good idea.

Dick, I will give your suggestion a go, and report back how it goes.

I agree with Mr. Davis on this. Not every rifle likes a same blanket torque value of 65. Some don't even like the same torque value between the front and back screw.

65 inch pounds one is in danger of splitting factory bottom metal. Remington factory spec is not 65 inch pounds.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Torque them down to 65 in/lb. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Czech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gentlemen,advice needed.
Just bought a Bell & Carlson A2 Tac stock, for my Remington PSS 7mm Mag.
My question is, what is the correct tension, (in lbs) for the action screws?

Thanks for your help. </div></div>

I'm in the same situation. What is everyone using as far as a torque wrench goes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Set them at 35 in/lb and shoot a couple of groups. Loosen and reset at 45 in/lbs and shoot. Repeat at 55 in/lbs and again at 65 in/lbs. Then set them where it shoots the best. You will probably end up at 35 or 45. Let us know what you find. </div></div>

Good advice.

I recall reading in Precision Shooting's Benchrest Primer where Speedy Gonzales, super Smith & Shooter, stated that he use 45ip rear and 40ip in front; so might try varying them a bit.