• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Action screws - Big horn Origin

OH58DViper

Resumé- have Apache, lacks conscience, will travel
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2017
Are the action screws supposed to be included with the action? Bought one recently and just got my manners stock, only then realized I needed them ha. I guess that’s how observant you get when you wait on each part 6-10 months. I guess I can go to Home Depot and just buy a bunch of different lengths….Anyone know which ones I need for a mini chassis? Also running an area 419 rail.
6D79DC76-C696-499C-8329-03755FC45FAA.jpeg

should come with chassis/stock not action as each stock/chassis has different length requirements and some use different heads allen/torx

Zermatt actions come with rail screws trigger pins and lug if an Origin

I’d probably wait a few more days for the right hardware. I’m not certain but the forward action screw hole comes through to where the barrel threads are on some actions. Too long and it could mess the threads up on the barrel making it difficult to remove later on. Like the other fella said different chassis requires different hardware too. Good luck and enjoy your new rig

Thanks gents, I emailed manners and they are gonna send some out.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I’d probably wait a few more days for the right hardware. I’m not certain but the forward action screw hole comes through to where the barrel threads are on some actions.
Most actions have the front action hole just under the bolt head. When it's too long the bolt won't close, or if it's closed when you put in the screw you can't open it. On my KRG Bravos the Origin receiver needs 2 washers on the bolt while my ARC actions only use 1. You can always get some nice grade 8 hex bolts and custom fit your own...

Most actions have the front action hole just under the bolt head. When it's too long the bolt won't close, or if it's closed when you put in the screw you can't open it. On my KRG Bravos the Origin receiver needs 2 washers on the bolt while my ARC actions only use 1. You can always get some nice grade 8 hex bolts and custom fit your own...
I’m not sure which action I just remember the barrel was a pia to remove and a screw had ruined the threads. Maybe it was the front scope base screw that got it, thanks. One can’t be too careful with this stuff.
I’m glad he’s waiting on the right hardware for the chassis.

I thought ( for no reason I can remember) that they were most often cut to the right length.

No?

I thought ( for no reason I can remember) that they were most often cut to the right length.

No?
They usually are but people use what they have, mix up screws that are close in size, and anything else a person can come up with to mess stuff up. I’ve bought a couple of used rifles over the years, and you’d be surprised at what some people will do to a rifle and still shoot it.

Reactions: Baron23
Manners will do you write they will know what stock you have and if is a mini chassis exactly the correct length screws.Its worth the wait for the correct screws.Ask me how I know!

Reactions: jcmullis2
Cutting action screw to length is no big deal especially when you don’t have a barrel installed. Leave the bolt out and look from the front of the receiver and you can see if it is too long and continue to trim as necessary. Just clean the threads up after cutting and before testing in the action.
BTW, threads are 1/4-28

Last edited:
Reactions: Baron23
If I need to cut a substantial amount off an action bolt, I'll use a cut-off disc on the Dremel, otherwise I shorten it on a disc sander.

Saw a suggestion called a 'screw gizzy' in one of Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books - take a piece of .065" 4130 steel plate, drill a hole through it with a #3 drill, then tap it with a 1/4-28 tap. You put the bolt through the plate before cutting or sanding it, then when you unscrew it back out of the gizzy, it knocks the flash off the cut-off threads, and you're done...

Reactions: Stoweit
If I need to cut a substantial amount off an action bolt, I'll use a cut-off disc on the Dremel, otherwise I shorten it on a disc sander.

Saw a suggestion called a 'screw gizzy' in one of Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks books - take a piece of .065" 4130 steel plate, drill a hole through it with a #3 drill, then tap it with a 1/4-28 tap. You put the bolt through the plate before cutting or sanding it, then when you unscrew it back out of the gizzy, it knocks the flash off the cut-off threads, and you're done...
Aka, a nut…

Well, yes, for a bolt the size of a 1/4-28, a nut would be usable for the same purpose of smoothing threads on a cut-off or sanded bolt. But the screw gizzy hint in the book was originally aimed at dealing with 6-48 & 8-40 scope base screws that had been shortened to work with various scope bases - it's a little tough to find nuts of those sizes, and besides, the gizzy can be made of just about any size scrap piece of steel, and still be a lot easier to hang onto while sanding or cutting a screw than a nut would be. I had several pieces of 4130 plate left over from making aileron brackets for a RV-3 wing kit, so made gizzies for 6-48, 8-40, & 1/4-28 screws/bolts.

It’s definitely not rocket science and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get it together. In those situations and really whenever you’re assembling your rifle, take your time and make sure everything fits properly. Remember, Murphy’s law is always in play. Just saying