• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Action trueing / blueprint question

cconn30

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Fayetteville NC
If I have a stock rem 700 action "blueprinted" using the original bolt and then at a later date purchase a PTG one piece bolt, will I have to have the gunsmith re-blueprint? Or should I wait for the new bolt before starting the process. I know I should probably purchase a custom action ( have a couple Defiance), but would like to use this 700 action for something. Hope this makes sense, and thanks for any help.

Keep in mind, if you plan to have the handle threaded or any other work done on the bolt, you are likely right at the cost of doing the ptg out of the gate.

I reduce my action truing cost when using a PTG, which adds to the value of a PTG. Especially because you are getting a one piece bolt and better extractor.

Have one in stock if you didn't want to wait on the bolt.

With a new bolt, you will want to lap the lugs and check headspace. No need to take it back to a smith, those things can be done at home with lapping compound and go/no go gauges

With a new bolt, you will want to lap the lugs and check headspace. No need to take it back to a smith, those things can be done at home with lapping compound and go/no go gauges

Gauges won't fix your rifle if the head spacing is off. They will only tell you there is or isn't a problem. And with a new bolt, it will most likely need to be re-done. So unless the OP has the acquired skills and a lathe to go along with them, It will indeed have to go back to a Smith.

Gauges won't fix your rifle if the head spacing is off. They will only tell you there is or isn't a problem. And with a new bolt, it will most likely need to be re-done. So unless the OP has the acquired skills and a lathe to go along with them, It will indeed have to go back to a Smith.

Not always the case. I've had situations where a brand new PTG bolt will actually just drop in and with some minor lapping headspace perfectly. If the 'smith that trued the action took a cut off the back of the locking lugs then set the barrel to that bolt, one may never get a new bolt to close enough where they CAN merely lap.

That is true. I was just assuming the new bolt headspaced correctly.

PTG s great for holding the same spec's as the rifle maker on their new bolts. There's a fair chance that one will fit with only minor work (like adding a little radius to the outer edges of the locking lug rear surface) as long as the original barrel hasn't been set back.

In general, bolts are not drop-ins but every once in a while it happens. I currently have a rifle that was headspaced to a new PTG bolt but the OE bolt still fits just fine. Fired cases measure EXACTLY the same as with the PTG installed.

Not always the case. I've had situations where a brand new PTG bolt will actually just drop in and with some minor lapping headspace perfectly.

Which is why I specifically said, "it will most likely need to be re-done", and not, "It will have to be done".

And so the OP doesn't think that PT&G bolts are all the same, I had one out of spec that I had to send back. They made me a new one which was most definitely not drop in. But maybe you can get lucky every now and then, just don't count on it.