• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Acuracy and reliability between G17 and baretta 92

ak0prter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
TX
What dose evryone think about the G17 vs. Barreta 92?

I'm looking at acuracy, reliability, and preferance of a battle pistol. I'm looking at which would be better to comp with. I am goingto keep it stock pretty much and I'm not very interested in changing out a bunch of parts. But that is a consideration.

Let me know what y'all think,

Thanks,
Sean

Re: Acuracy and reliability between G17 and baretta 92

My G17 had 35k of rounds down range before I sold it, I never cleaned it, it never jammed, and would do headshots at 25 as long as I did my part, the guy I sold it to put in the dishwasher to clean it, and has since put another 15k thru it, I barrowed it for shits and grins and it worked flawlessly and shot the same point of aim, a 92fs IMHO will not be able to handle that abuse, and will require cleaning, get a Glock and rock out with one.

I'm going to agree with 427 on that one. I've never been a fan of the 92's.

I'd go with the Glock or even a Springfield XD.

Between a Glock and a 92.... Hands down a Glock.

I will say everytime I had to carry a 92 as my sidearm, I never liked the thought. I never wanted to have to rely on it.

I have both and while the 92 shoots better for me, the glock always goes bang. When the 92 gets dirty (few hundred rounds without cleaning) i start having failure to feeds. That may or may not be acceptable depending on your needs.

I have the G17 and a XD45 and they are both great. But I have been hearing alot about how the barreta was better for comp. Both of my guns are great weapons and have never jammed or had any flaws.

Thanks for the reasurance

to much barrel play- slop up by the muzzle of the 92. There are ways to accurize them but I'd bet on the glock with out any screwing with it. 92 will not be as reliable as the glock. period.

Am I the only one with misfeeds in my G17? I get one every 150 or so rounds when practicing with Winchester white box. Maybe it's the ammo... but my FNP-9 hasn't had this issue yet (750 rounds through it so far.)

I love my glock, I shot it today and with a kittle adjustment to the sights it was spot on. I have never had a misfeed or jam and can't complain on how it shoots one bit.

The only reason I brought this up is because I never fired the baretta before. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't selling myself short on acuracy.

Thanks for all the help

I don't own a Glock. I don't shoot/point well with them.

That said, keep an eye on the recoil spring (like after 10k rounds) and shoot that bad boy all day long.

I'm an HK nut, and while HK has a coil recoil spring, SIG actually uses a double coil recoil spring which as my mech engr buddies tell me is the most reliable and durable out of the 3 designs.

I want a 92 just to have one but if I were buying only one for the purpose you described, I'd go with the Glock.

Who are we kidding though, you need both!!! Do whatever it takes to get both too! :)

The Beretta, having a double/single action operation, is a nice pistol. However, my choice would be with the Glock 17. I like the Glock 17's consistent trigger pull and positive reset. In a harsh environment with abuse, I'd give the Glock 17 the nod for consistent reliability.

Glock would be my pick. They always work.

GLOCK .

I have a GLOCK problem , The feds wont let US citizens have a .380 and Gaston wont make a .22 .

Glock by a factor of a million.

Hard to say accuracy wise, all my Glocks have been accurate and my M92 seems reasonably so, but God shooting the Beretta is like going back in time. Ergonomics are terrible, the trigger is terrible, everything about it sucks. That said I own one and occasionally make myself shoot it just because.

I have no problem going back and forth between the Glock grip angle, my springfield XDs, and my 1911s. 1911's now feel slightly weird. But the Beretta never felt right at all.

In terms of durability, the Glock will last four Berettas, as mentioned above.

Playing devils advocate, because I have no experience with the 92, but I had read this before:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_92

"During this same time and in years since, the U.S. Army conducted durability testing of M9 pistols at Aberdeen Proving Ground. These tests revealed an average life of the M9 frame at around 35,000 rounds, of the M9 locking block at around 22,000 rounds, and of the M9 slide at around 75,000 rounds, all well in excess of the contractually-required service life of 5,000 rounds for the pistol. In addition, Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds."

I believe the USAMTU made some Beretta mods to improve accuracy, including a cone-type engagement between the muzzle and the end of the slide. IMHO, that could improve accuracy into the 1911-like arena. I also had exceptional accuracy improvements using the standard M92, and handloads with 147gr RNBT's and Blue Dot.

Greg

If you have a choice I would take the Glock (any Glock) over the Beretta anytime and every time.

Beretta does make some great shotguns but I would pass on the 92.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Government-witnessed tests of the M9 pistol at the Beretta U.S.A. facility resulted in average reliability of the pistol at one malfunction every 17,500 rounds."</div></div>
Holy shit, you have got to be fu^&%ng kidding me...we all know that the Government doesn't lie!
grin.gif

Glock here also.

I bought a Beretta not long after the movie Letal weapon came out, like everyone else ( gimme a break I was 15 ).

Years later I picked up a used m19 and have added more Glocks to the collection.

I can't recall ever shooting the Beretta since '93

When in doubt ,GLOCK 'em out!!!!My original g17 is going past 10,000 rds.with no malfunctions other than ammo related!! 1987 Gen.1. My other's G21SF, G19&G22 are following in its footsteps! As bombproof as a weapon system can get .

I am not a warrior king, and my heart belongs to the 1911, but if I had to choose between the 92 and the G17, I'd take the Glock. My wife has a G19, and it's a great pistol.

Glock.

I've had both, and the Glock is as reliable as a hammer. I can't say that about the 92; the Beretta magazines are a huge weakpoint, and the Glock's are not. Accuracy between the two is negligible.

Use what the pro's use. Hint: it's not the 92.

Many (but not all) Military tests often are set to favor one specific weapon. Some project manager usually has a post-retirement job lined up. I was part of one test where the command would not allow certain manufacturers to participate as they knew their "chosen" product was inferior.

The Beretta is a decent pistol. Recently a particular unit did testing (without the constraints) and the 1911's are no longer issued and Glocks are now the issue. The runner-up was the Springfield XD.

For the criteria you laid out I would say Glock 17. Call me an idiot though, but I love the 92 series. Soft shooting (due to weight), super reliable (damn near straight feeding), accurate for me. What's not to love? Of course I have a Glock 17 too and as much as I like the 92 I have more faith in the long term durability of the Glock, accuracy is nearly as good for me as the 92 (and would truthfully be on par if I just shot Glock triggers all the time). Not to mention with G18 mags with +2 extensions my Glock 17 has 33 rounds of fun to send downrange.

Pretty much the only pistol I ever disliked. Just doesn't fit my hand
right. As for accuracy even if it could out shoot the Glock I still
wouldn't want one. I 2nd thE Berreta on the great shot guns they make.

Both are great pistols with upgrades available... I know you don't want to swap parts now, but a year or two from now who knows... Shoot both because some people (me in particular) struggle with the double/single design of the beretta.. Also I find the Beretta slightly too bulky to get a good grip on it... Either way both pistols are great

I purchased a Beretta 92FS when I turned 21. At that time, it served it's purpose as a target gun. Fast forward to present day (17 yrs. later..yikes!), that Beretta is long gone. Between the two, the Glock 17 is the clear choice for me. It will serve as a accurate, defensive pistol with excellent reliability. That being said, if you have the chance, try them both before deciding.

I think both guns have great track records...I prefer the Glock due to the same trigger pull each time

I have a G17 as my daily carry gun. I have had it for 15 years, shot steel plate competition with it, killed a few deer and several wild dogs with it, and cannot remember how many thousands of rounds I've put through it. It has never broken a part, I have replaced the tritium sights once due to dimming, and added an ARO-Tek extended slide release, that is all. It will shoot my carry load to POA at 25yds., and put the rounds inside a 1.5" circle if I do my part. I can reliably hit 5 10" circular plates in 4.5 seconds from a "surrender" position with that gun, and routinely shoot clay birds on the berm at 100 yds with it. And I clean it because I like a well-maintained weapon, not because I need to. I've had a couple of 92's, and they were okay, but it's Glock for me, forever.

As mentioned, the 92 is issued to GIs. I carried one everyday that I was in Iraq. I shot it, cleaned, and used to it. It rattled when I walked and I didn't think highly of it. However, it was very accurate (given the targets and conditions that we were shooting), it never had a failure of any kind. The pistol was not new when I got it and I venture a guess that it had several thousands of rounds through it. Other than "I didn't care for it", there was nothing wrong with the 92.
When given a choice, I purchased a G19. I like it a little better, it fits me better, it doesn't rattle, and it is easier to clean.
I am not sure why people are "proud" that they have never cleaned their weapon and it "still shoots". I can't think of any reason to not clean your weapon, you life is (in some cases) depending on it.

For those people: Do you change the oil in your car? Or, do you just drive it until if fails.

glock

I ..HAD..a 92 bought it to just pretty much have in the collection. Took it out shot it, well its not the shortest I've ever owned a gun but it didnt stay around long. Yes it was used when I bought it but anyways.
GO GLOCK. Haven't had a 17 but I've had both on each end of it 34/19. You can't break'm, they'r accurate and eat anything an ask for more.
Only thing the Beretta has going for it was it was in Boondock Saints too, bastards shoulda given those boys glocks instead. But then they would've ruled the world not just a piece of it.

Have exp with the M9. Never liked it. Have had my G19 for more than a decade, have never had a issue other than dented primers on cheap ammo not going off. feeds everthing I put in the mag. I would go Glock everytime. Then again, if I didnt have to change my oil I never would, so what does that tell you?

Had both. Slight nod toward Glock, though 92 is a fine pistol. Prefer 1911. As to the never had a malfunction crowd, you haven't had proper training, period! Take a two day combat handgun course in sideways rain, combat reloads dropping your spent mags in the mud, pick em up, jam them full and quickly proceed and to the next stage, stages where you place your weapon in a puddle, back off and do about a hundred jumping jacks to get the adrenalin flowing, whistle sounds and run 100 yds, grab it up to engage targets, etc, through 1000+ rounds and YOU WILL HAVE MALFUNCTIONS! So much time is spent on training how to deal with them because, when the SHTF, they will happen. Never malfunctioned only when never pushed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JoeRe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As to the never had a malfunction crowd, you haven't had proper training, period! Take a two day combat handgun course in sideways rain, combat reloads dropping your spent mags in the mud, pick em up, jam them full and quickly proceed and to the next stage, stages where you place your weapon in a puddle, back off and do about a hundred jumping jacks to get the adrenalin flowing, whistle sounds and run 100 yds, grab it up to engage targets, etc, through 1000+ rounds and YOU WILL HAVE MALFUNCTIONS! </div></div>

Well, walking from my truck to the movies, mall, or dinner I can say that I have never done any of those things. I use the train like you fight and fight like you train theory. If I get mugged, I doubt any of those things you mentioned will apply to my situation in CCW.
However, when training with the Army, they didn't seem to mind that we were in the rain, mud, or snow when we were shooting. The Iraqis didn't seem to care that it was 120 degrees with sand blowing everywhere. In those situations, I wasn't able to carry 1000 rounds, just 7 mags for the M4 and 2 for the M9.

If you have to live in the conditions that you describe, I'm surprised that you have internet access.