• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing add length to a fixed stock

chingalla

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2009
I was wondering if anyone has added a spacer to an HS Precision stock? I was told by a rifle instructor that the LOP should be a little longer for me. In some experimenting, a Powerbar Protein bar seems to be about the right amount (3/8"-1/2"). I was looking at CSP polymer sacers from Brownells. It is the original stock from my 700P. I am thinking cut off rubber pad, clean up stock, attach spacer, glue pad back on? Any tips, pitfalls, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: add length to a fixed stock

The spacers from Browells work great. Once you cut the old pad off and square up the stock, use acra-glass/gel or any quality epoxy. Dremel some anchor holes in the stock and the spacer,be sure to epoxy the screws once you are ready for the final install.
Also, you can epoxy the pad and spacer together first, and then epoxy them to the stock.
good luck

Limbsaver makes a slip-on buttpad that extends the LOP by about 1/2". It achieves the goal without messin' with the HS Stock, and can be removed easily if any good reason presents itself. They come in different (buttpad) lengths (depth), so be sure you get the right one; some leeway is available with each size, but get the right one.

I'm a pretty tall guy and regularly employ the Limbsavers, mainly because I don't want to be modifying many of my firearms, which have some value in their unaltered condition. The recoil reduction is secondary. If I need more length, I can go to Wallyworld and purchase one of those foam floormats that are intended for folks who stand at the sink for a long time. It's about 1/2" thick and consists of some pretty firm foam. Cutting out buttpad shaped sections and inserting them under the Limbsaver can add 1/2" (-ish) LOP increments. If the gun needs to be used by somebody (smaller) else, or is being sold, the Limbsaver comes off easily and nobody's the wiser.

Greg

Old pad wont fit. It will be too short once you make it longer. Brownells sells an inch and some change pad I think. I put about 6 pads on using Hotstuff super glue that Brownells sells. Nothing else. I use these on hunting rifles and never had one come off or work loose. I glue my pad on and put my belt sander with fine paper in a vise. Lock it on and slowly grind the pad down. I put two wraps of masking tape on the stock. Once I nipp the tape I finish with a block. About an hour real nice results and I am no gunsmith or craftsman by any stretch. Easy just take you time.

Good suggestions here. You don't say how much you want to throw at it but I've tinkered with the idea of an adjustable buttplate from time to time. Midway and Brownells both carry items that would accomplish this. I also wonder if you can retrofit an M-24 buttplate to a PSS stock? If HS even sells that part...

Thanks for all the tips. I used the Limbsaver pad at a rifle class but it was a little too squishy and seemed to give too much for me. But that could be just a mental thing. I looked at the Graco adjustable buttplate. Looks cool, but at $65 for the assembly and $75 for the jig it may be more cost effective to look at a new stock. I think I will try the spacer/ epoxy idea Coelk suggests and trimming with the beltsander. Have to watch the coffee intake that day.

kill two birds with one stone. use the power bars and that way you have a snack for later... there is a guy that added LOP to the tacicool with some black plastic that looked exactly like the setup McMillan uses when he was done. he used stuff he bought at lowe's or home depot. check out the rimfire section and the title was tacticool or trainer. it came out really well and its adjustable like the McM