• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Add-on Cheek Rest for Bolt Guns

dbowhunter

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2012
Michigan
Some forum searching turned up some options, but I thought I'd put out a post for some up-to-date feedback.

What do you gentlemen recommend for an aftermarket add-on cheek rest for a standard profile stock on bolt guns?

Thanks, looking forward to see what's out there.

Dave

stock pack is probably your best bet (check out triad), but if you want something different there's always the karsten cheekpiece.

You may want to take a look at Bradley cheek rests. Have BUR model mounted on my rifle and very pleased with it. Planning on acquiring ones for my other rifles.

McMillan.jpg

If you dont mind drilling your stock I'd suggest an XLR cheekrest. It's very inexpensive but well made.

Contact Stockdoc here on the Hide. Joe will install a KMW Loggerhead onto your stock and make it look like it came that way from the factory.

The Bradley Cheekrest is definitely worth a look. I have a B24 and an Adjustable here that we are trying out. They are really one of the best non-permenant options I have tried.

Bradley Cheek Rest for M1A and SOCOM Rifle remington 700

Full review will be coming soon. I hope to get some range time with the adjustable model this week.

Stock packs serve a purpose. If you need storage, then they are the way to go. The Triad Tactical Stock Packs work great.

I would definitely recommend a stock pack. You can build up the cheek height underneath with foam, then cover the ugly mess with the stock pack. There are plenty of nice ones out there, but don't get the Blackhawk pack if you value your face. They are (really) rough.

Thanks everyone, that's exactly what i was looking for. Lots of options, each good for different purposes.

The KMW option looks sweet. Anyone have a price ballpark estimate to retro fit it into a non-adjustable stock?

I assume the stockpacks ones are pretty stiff? Allowing a solid repeatable anchor? They just look soft but looks are deceiving.

Thanks again

Dave

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I just received my Triad Tactical stock pack, and really like it so far. I only need 1/4 to 1/2 inch to get a comfortable cheek weld and a good view of the optic so I didn't want to add on a Karsten rest or have my stock cut. The Triad gave me all the height I needed, and has some room for goodies. The pack is soft, but solid so you can get a repeatable weld.

I tried adding foam under a stock pack to gain height but found it was too wobbly/flimsy. I just broke down and bought a Karsten Cheek piece for 65.00 and problem solved.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I am most intrigued by the KMW install and the Bradley piece.

Good stuff.

If you dont mind drilling your stock I'd suggest an XLR cheekrest. It's very inexpensive but well made.

I'll have to search the forum on how to do the install... inexpensive in deed if I can make it work...

Karsten worked for me and was an easy install but I like the XLR one too.
Stock packs are fine if you only need a small amount of padding but the adjustable ones are the best way to go.

I'm in the process of adding a Warner Thumbwheel to my Kimber 82G. It is a substantial job involving a drill press, scroll saw, etc but it is an amazing peice of hardware. It adjusts side to side as well as up and down and pulls off instantly for cleaning retaining your settings. No regrets despite the work.

I tried adding foam under a stock pack to gain height but found it was too wobbly/flimsy. I just broke down and bought a Karsten Cheek piece for 65.00 and problem solved.

+1 On the Karsten...I have one and it works great for my needs.

Another vote for Karsten... been using them for years, and for the price they are hard to beat. Tried a Defensive Edge unit... cost more and was (in my opinion) more cheaply constructed - thinner material, less robust hardware, etc.

The Bradley unit looks interesting... I've got one rifle (Savage 10PC-SR) that has a fairly thin/light stock that doesn't work well with a bolt-on cheekpiece, so I've been using a stock pack.... works well enough but kind of a PITA to get the height back just right when I take it off for cleaning (normally I have two layers of rubber mat under the pack). The adjustable Bradley looks promising, if a tad expensive.

I'll have to search the forum on how to do the install... inexpensive in deed if I can make it work...

It's pretty much the same steps as installing a Karsten. Cover the stock with tape (blue painter tape works good), mark where you want to drill your holes (to provide sufficient height movement for your setup), tap the drill spot or use a smaller drill tip to start the hole (to prevent you from drifting while drilling), drill the hole to the screw diameter you'll end up using, and done.
Someone in the Hide used to make some nice spacers that worked with the screws that come with the cheekpiece (comes with 4) but I ended up buying a set of stainless screws at Lowes and made the spacers out of stainless tubing sold in hobby shops. I still need to paint the screws to clean up the look.

Last edited: