• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Adding 20 MOA canted rings to 30 MOA base - Is it really 50?

RPRRob

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2018
Just curious if anyone knows the trick here...

If you add 20 MOA of cant in the rings to an already 30 MOA base...does that TRUELY give you 50 MOA? It seems like stacking two sloped items would throw that calculation off a bit. Can't be that easy, right?

In my mind, if i put a 20 MOA canted device on flat surface......it's pointing down 20 MOA. But if I put that same 20 MOA on something that's already sloped.....

Get what I'm getting at?

I'm trying to figure out how to get the most out of the 125 internal elevation in the scope without maxing out the bottom, and also what ring height, etc.

I need to mount the Razor HD 5-20x50 to my new Ruger RPR in .338

Thanks in advance!
Rob

yes the moa will stack.

so you would be at 50. sometimes when people do this, depending on your set up, you will run out of downward elevation and not be able to zero at 100.

if you have 30 moa in your base. i would just stick with that and get 0moa rings/mount. that's usually plenty of cant unless you are shooting ELR or shooting .22lr long distance

if you have 30 moa in your base. i would just stick with that and get 0moa rings/mount. that's usually plenty of cant unless you are shooting ELR or shooting .22lr long distance

Pushing it out to 1.5 miles. Dope says I'm going to be in the 140ish range in MOA out that far. With 125 internal...(vortex is usually pretty dead centered) and putting 50 on it...I should get somewhere around 112.5 up. Add another 35 in the reticle...that will get me close.

If they aren't on a trajectory for orbit by then........well I'll just shoot .22LR like you suggested then. Haha.

Unless you mount the rings backwards. Then you have 10 moa...

EGW will make custom rails to 60 moa, I believe. Give them a call. I have talked with them a couple times and custo.er service is as food as it gets.

EGW will make custom rails to 60 moa, I believe. Give them a call. I have talked with them a couple times and custo.er service is as food as it gets.

Thanks for the info! Will give them a shout.