• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Adding a new caliber....260 Remington

turbohardtop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2010
Austin, TX
I am thinking of getting into this caliber. Please let me know what your thoughts are for reloading this cartridge. I am currently loading for 308, 223/5.56, 300blk sub/super. Also, how well does Varget work for this cartridge? Which bullet would you recommend for 1000+ yard. I found some Nosler CC 140 grain for a decent price. Would this work for long distances? thanks in advance.

Re: Adding a new caliber....260 Remington

140 amax or vld over h4350 is what a lot of people are shooting. However just as many are shooting the 130 vld and 139 scenar. But h4350 is the norm. However varget will work with the smaller bullets like the 120 or 123 amax

hi, i shoot regular to 1000 and beyond. For me the Berger 140 hybrid outperform the amax and scenars every time out of my SRS. For me they seem to buck the wind much better and fly more true.
Every gun likes different things so just em and see. My gun likes em doesnt mean yours will. Its the age old thing, try em and see. RL17 is supposed to work really well with this cartridge but i havent tried it yet, why fix it if it aint broken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbohardtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am thinking of getting into this caliber. Please let me know what your thoughts are for reloading this cartridge. I am currently loading for 308, 223/5.56, 300blk sub/super. Also, how well does Varget work for this cartridge? Which bullet would you recommend for 1000+ yard. I found some Nosler CC 140 grain for a decent price. Would this work for long distances? thanks in advance. </div></div>

The 260 Remington is a cartridge, not a caliber.

Are you looking to get into the 6.5mm/.264 caliber bullets, or the 260 Remington cartridge?

It makes a difference.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Are you looking to get into the 6.5mm/.264 caliber bullets, or the 260 Remington cartridge?

Chris </div></div>
Thanks for the coorection. I do not have any 6.5/.264 caliber so I thought going with the Remington 260 cartridge would allow me to use my 308 and neck it down.

I am currently running a 260. My gun likes 139 Scenars & 142 SMK's with H4350 and H4831SC, 123 Scenars with IMR 4350. Mine shoots well in the middle charges with the 139's & 142's; with the 123's it likes to shoot them hard. H4350 will do about anything you want to do. I do not see a temp issue with the IMR charges in the 123's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbohardtop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisGarrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Chris </div></div>
Thanks for the coorection. I do not have any 6.5/.264 caliber so I thought going with the Remington 260 cartridge would allow me to use my 308 and neck it down. </div></div>

Ok, I'm a 260 Rem guy if I get into the 6.5s down the road. I know that the 6.5C is the new darling on the block, but I think that one can find a bit more brass, even new, less expensive brass that will work well, in the Remington RP stamp.

I don't get out to shoot 1000, even 300 yds much, so it's not a priority for me, but I did load up about 650 rounds of 260 Rem for a buddy using RP brass, AA-4350/H-4350, 210Ms and the 140 AMAX and 142 SMKs, so I have some experience reloading and shooting the cartridge.

Chris

260 is a good, versatile cartridge. Does everything well.

140 noslers will work, but the other bullets mentioned are much better suited to long range use.

Varget will work, particularly for the ~120gr (and less) weight bullets. H4350 is better suited to the 130+ bullets.

Like mentioned above, Varget works with the lighter bullets. SMK 107's over 41.2 grn Varget, Fed 210M, in Lapua brass shoots sub MOA for the short line.

OFG

As stated above, you have to see what it will shoot. My 1/8 doesn't like anything 140 and up. I can shoot the 139's decent and the 130 berger excellent. I also use H4350.