• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Adding a trustee to my trust

insectguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2009
Chattanooga
I'm to the point now I want to add a trustee to my trust. My lawyer gave me three forms for the first three people to be added, but in the forms, it states the person will become a trustee once the ATF is made aware of the change.

Do we have to submit a change to the trust to the ATF? Do we wait for a response back before the change is official?

A search yielded nothing which indicated the ATF had to be made aware, but I'm trying to be as complete and above-board as possible.

The BATF or NFA does not require you to notify the BATF.

If the trust requires it in the trust documents proper, then you must follow that to be in compliance with the trust (unless the settlor amends it). That's a civil issue.

My lawyer finally responded tonight and stated there is no requirement to notify the ATF when adding a trustee, just that they feel it's the prudent thing to do.

YMMV.

Yes, the only requirement is organic to the trust requirements set up by the settlor. The BATF requires no notice as of yet. That may change with the proposed rules in 6 months to a year.