• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Screwed up my Form 1 and I know it...

Ape_Factory

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 23, 2020
San Antonio, Texas
Literally hit the submit button and realize I'd measured the overall length wrong (stock collapsed). Complete idiot moment after a very, very long week. It's not my first Form 1 either which makes it all the worse. Anyone know how to actually cancel it instead of waiting for the rejection to come? It's been about three or four weeks and nothing. I even sent an email to see how to kill it out, no response back.

Can I just go ahead and resubmit with the same lower and get the ball rolling again? Or do I need to actually wait for the rejection from the ATF before refiling?

F7A99738-8DE7-4F50-9A01-250CF9BA29CC.png

Oddly enough it's worked for me in the past! I had answers in 1-2 days. But will call first thing Monday, I'm sure they're overwhelmed with the whole brace debacle and people registering those. I always pick a bad time to do this shit. :sneaky:
-m

Why are you so certain that the ATF is going to reject your submission?

Assuming that it is approved, simply send a letter to the NFA branch requesting that the information on this entry - just as one would do if changing the barrel length or caliber.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii

Assuming that it is approved, simply send a letter to the NFA branch requesting that the information on this entry - just as one would do if changing the barrel length or caliber.
Because the measurement was below 29". I didn't measure with the stock extended.

Because the measurement was below 29". I didn't measure with the stock extended.
Changing to a longer length, may not be too bad. If and when you're approved; prior to building, send an amendment letter stating that you would like to "amend the length of an unbuilt SBR".

Not sure, but that's how it's done with F1 cans. Some folks get a letter back, and it appears some don't. But you'll have done your duty by notification of the change.

Obligatory IANAL

Why is it a problem to claim a length shorter than 29" on a Form 1? That's completely plausible if you were to do a build with, say, a 10.5" barrel with one of those old-school "fixed entry" stocks.

I'm in Texas where there are no rules other than a rule there are no rules and something about not mentioning fight club. I swear I read they automatically decline anything under 29". I guess I'll let it ride out and see where it goes.

I'm in Texas where there are no rules other than a rule there are no rules and something about not mentioning fight club. I swear I read they automatically decline anything under 29". I guess I'll let it ride out and see where it goes.

How would that make any sense at all? The whole point is getting permission to make a rifle shorter than what would otherwise be legal.

sounds like OP is good to go here and not to high jack this thread BUT a question on that barrel length change for SBR’s….

is that a hard fast rule for the ATF, that you need to submit length changes? if i registered at 11.5” and then went longer it should be GTG “as-is” right?

kinda like putting a 16” back on said lower. then its no longer an SBR and they wouldnt care.

same thing with address changes inside the state. i was under the impression there is no formal rule about telling atf you moved from the original address, as long as its in the same state.

they know how to find you. i had an atf agent call my cell phone in 2013-14 for a pistol i sold in 1991 that was used in a crime.

the fact they can get your cell number from an old 4473 is pretty amazing, or not. big brother knows all!

How would that make any sense at all? The whole point is getting permission to make a rifle shorter than what would otherwise be legal.
It's sarcasm on the first part. You absolutely have to get permission from the ATF but the way our Governor and Attorney General talk, they could care less (as long as you vote for them). On the length, I swear I'd read somewhere that the total overall length has to be 29" or greater with the stock extended. I'm apparently wrong on that piece of data.

Tucaz, on the barrel length change, just submit a letter to the ATF noting the changes and ask for an acknowledgement back. I did this for a lower that originally had a 10.5" barrel and went to an 8.5". I then added a 12.5" in another caliber and notified them. If you attach a non-NFA length of 16" or greater, no need to notify them. Theoretically, once you SBR a lower, you're good to go on barrel length but it's more of a CYA thing. There are online sites that basically have you enter the data and they give you a printable letter to send in.

Last edited:
Reactions: tucaz
On the length, I swear I'd read somewhere that the total overall length has to be 29" or greater with the stock extended. I'm apparently wrong on that piece of data.

That is what I was referring to. It doesn't make sense to even think that would be the case. Even if you'd read it somewhere, why wouldn't you question what you'd read since it doesn't make sense, before assuming it's correct and starting this thread about how your form will be denied because of it?

I don't quite understand the issue you are saying you have?

Are you trying to build an SBR or an AOW?
Is this an AR platform type rifle?
Are you targeting in the end for the rifle with the stock fully collapsed to be 29" or was that what you had before you wanted to have a shorter barrel?
What barrel length do you plan to have?

On a rifle as long as the overall length is greater than 26" you are good as far as overall length without needing any NFA stuff assuming the barrel is just over 16" long.

On a standard rifle, you have to measure it with the stock at the most collapsed position (shortest possible position) (if so equipped), or with the stock folded (if so equipped) and use that shortest possible length as your length measurement.

On the MSR type guns some such as the Tavor are just a touch over 26" with a 16" barrel and need no NFA stuff
The SIG MCX rifle is another one that has a near minimum length when folded but still fits just over 26" with a 16" barrel

Reactions: tucaz
That is what I was referring to. It doesn't make sense to even think that would be the case. Even if you'd read it somewhere, why wouldn't you question what you'd read since it doesn't make sense, before assuming it's correct and starting this thread about how your form will be denied because of it?
If it doesn't make sense then why do they ask for the barrel length and the overall length of the weapon? I think what I read, without realizing it, is some states do have a minimum overall length (Maryland for instance) and ask the ATF not to approve those. I didn't catch that in the thread and mistakenly thought there was a minimum overall length regardless of barrel length.

I'm doing an SBR form 1 lower. Will run a 12.5" barrel. I already have another SBR'd lower which runs several different length barrels depending on need, in 300 blackout.