• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Adding coolant to a lathe

Red_SC

Redheaded Stepchild
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2003
Florence, SC
I'm in the process of adding coolant to my Southbend Fourteen lathe and would like ideas on how to add a drain to the chip pan. I know some use a pan they sit on the ways to catch it, but I think I'd prefer to just put a drain on the pan, that way anything that hit the pan could be collected. Drilling the hole will be tricky since access from above will be blocked by the bed, but I could make it work I think. The bigger issue is how to connect a drain to it without having a ridge above the pan that would cause it to puddle. I'm planning to run cutting oil rather than an emulsion, if that matters.

For reference, here's a picture of the same model lathe as mine with a drain, it looks like they cut a hole and connected the drain underneath somehow. Mine does have a backsplash.

Attachments

• IMG_20130126_165409_321.jpg
    IMG_20130126_165409_321.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
If you have the tools/skills to do so, I would probably cut a large rectangle roughly below where the majority of the oil will drain to, then fabricate a "funnel" and weld it to the pan. That is assuming it is possible, but it looks like you could probably do that. Otherwise you are going to end up with two gallons of oil just sitting all over the pan and it will make it a NIGHTMARE to clean out the chips, as if it isnt hard enough on a chip pan like that already.

Just another idea incase you want some others. I fabbed this up for my old Jet. Chambered a few barrels with this system before getting my new lathe and it worked quite well.

tehuzehe.jpg

u9ujevyb.jpg

vemyduqa.jpg

e6uquhyr.jpg

udu9emy9.jpg

I have a southbend 13". I went from the underside and driled a 2" hole in the chip pan directly below where the majority of the oil falls through the webbing of the bed. Attached a shower drain to the underside with a gasket between the two. My sump sits directly below the PVC drain tube. The majority of the oil runs down the drain however I do get some standing oil that I will squeegee to the drain after use. I have a screen at the top of the drain and at the sump where the drain dumps the oil back into the sump. Also I have a filter between the sump and pump. Not the most asteticly pleasing setup on a 50 year old lathe but it works. Eventually I plan on making a v'd trough to weld to the chip pan to elemanate the squeegee, but I have too many projects and not enough time to complete any of them.
Donald

If you have the tools/skills to do so, I would probably cut a large rectangle roughly below where the majority of the oil will drain to, then fabricate a "funnel" and weld it to the pan. That is assuming it is possible, but it looks like you could probably do that. Otherwise you are going to end up with two gallons of oil just sitting all over the pan and it will make it a NIGHTMARE to clean out the chips, as if it isnt hard enough on a chip pan like that already.

You're probably right. Not exactly what I had in mind, but it would be a lot less mess. I may end up doing this.

I have a southbend 13". I went from the underside and driled a 2" hole in the chip pan directly below where the majority of the oil falls through the webbing of the bed. Attached a shower drain to the underside with a gasket between the two. My sump sits directly below the PVC drain tube. The majority of the oil runs down the drain however I do get some standing oil that I will squeegee to the drain after use.

How big is your chip pan, and how much oil gets left behind?

My chip pan is the length of the ways and around 30" wide and 1.25" deep. At most about a quart gets left behind. It all depends on how long the oil is on and how far away from the headstock I'm getting. It was worse when I first set it up because the bed was not level so the oil would run to the tail stock end and puddle. But all is well now. I've got it all ripped apart right now making a chamber flush system I'll snap a Few pics and possibly a video once I'm finished.
ETA. I'm using vipers venom in my system. Total of 4 gallons and never starving for oil. I'm switching to a gear style pump for the chamber flush set up. I'll let you know how it works out.
Donald

John that is a crafty as hell little set up for that lathe. Good stuff!

I may rig something like that up on my old lathe.