• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adding grip to “regular” stock

Rover31

Jedi Master
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2007
Mos Eisley
Let’s see how do I describe this...
I have a,
Standard style polymer stock. It is my daughters Lithgow LA101 22lr. Since there are no aftermarket options I need to add to the grip area to get her hand in the proper position for good fundamental trigger control. With the way it is now from the factory, her hand is too far away and angled wrong for a good trigger pull. She is used to a vertical grip with her hand in “proper” position and able to get a good 90 degree on her finger.

Soooo.... my thoughts are to build up the grip area both forward and vertically. But with what? The amount of epoxy/JB Weld would add a lot of ugly weight.
So foam? Or something like that? How do I “glue” or attach foam to a plastic stock? Duct tape in the grip area will not work like a cheek piece.

I did run across this

Any thoughts? Any pics of others work on something like this? Any warnings?

Thanks!

Bondo/tigerhair? Seems light enough, and you could build it in small layers.

Reactions: Rover31
Use foam (polystyrene....the stuff foam coolers and coffee cups are made out of). get a chunk of it and make the part you want out of the foam. Sand it to shape. Then get some 2 part epoxy (epoxy is best or if you want Polyester resin). Get some light weight fiberglass like 4oz or so....and wet it out with the epoxy. While its still wet lay it onto your foam mold (you may need several layers of glass 3 or 4 would be plenty i would guess). If the layers are too thick and not conforming to your mold like you want you could do the poor mans version of a vaccum bag (Put the part with the fiberglass all layed up on your mold and put it into a ziplock bag and take AAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the air out of it. I then use a dive weight to pin the bag to the bottom of my pool. The water pressure will make the fiberglass press into your mold and form to its contours). Ideally your layers are sitting nicely and conforming without the need for the pool method. Once the epoxy has cured and the whole thing is hard you can either leave the foam in the middle where it is or you can pour ACETONE in to melt the foam away leaving your part very light and strong. Sand it down and give it a once over with some paint or gelcoat and BOBS YOUR UNCLE.

Basically you can make the same shape as the grip in the video above out of foam. Wrap it in fiberglass and then epoxy it onto your rifle sand it all smooth, paint it and youre good to go!

Or dab on some Marine-Tex to get the texture you want. Practice on something other than your stock until you get the technique that will create the texture you want. Use something like masking tape to tape off areas where you don't want the Marine-tex to bond so you get a nice clean looking edge. Getting the edge is pretty easy, it takes some practice to get the texture you want..try using something like a reverse mold to impress the texture you want into the Marine-Tex.

edited to add: The only problem with Marine-tex is that it is designed to stay where you put it, so if you ever change your mind, it is a royal bitch to get off...I speak from experience there. The toughness of Marine-tex, and it's invulnerability to chemicals and petroleum stuff is why it is often used for bedding rifle actions. So make sure you want it there before you put it there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rover31
Take a regular AR grip and place it right up behind/against the back of the trigger guard.

Using the existing mounting screw hole in the grip, attach it to the plastic stock with a large gauge (approximately the same diameter as the mounting hole in the grip) 1" long self tapping screw. You might want to drill a pilot hole into the stock, slightly smaller in diameter than the overall width of the screw.

Reinforce/contour the junction with Bondo glass reinforced body putty.

The immense gap between the trigger guard and the 'grip' in the picture above is pretty much the opposite if what I would consider beneficial.

Greg

Last edited:
B73F6727-AC23-4C9A-8F9D-18E0A88C3A28.jpeg
Here is what I ended up with...
The grip is a 45 angle 3/4 pvc. It is notched on the inside of the angle to fit onto the stock and trigger guard. It then has two holes drilled through it with sheet metal screws locking it into place. Then the sticky backed foam sheet over for a surface cover. Kinda ugly but she immediately said her and and trigger finger are in a much better position. Hopefully someday someone will make a chassis for this... not going to hold my breath though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chevoke
On another site, there was a posting where a fellow used JB weld and some 60-80 grit abrasive compound to add grip to his pistol. He used blue painter's tape to define the edges, smoothed out the JB weld, then sprinkled on the abrasive powder, tapped it gently into the JB weld, waited, repeated the process 2-3 times. It ended up having the grip of skateboard tape, but was far more durable, and didn't shift when it got in the sun. He said he would have preferred a more coarse grit, but admitted he was unusual and most people would be plenty happy with the 60-80 grit.