• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Adding/Removing Trustees

45ACP_Marine

Private
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2009
Texas
I have seen conflicting information on different forums and would appreciate some clarification.

If I do a trust for NFA items, can I add a very close friend of mine (practically a brother most of my life) and him be able to use it without me around? Can I add and/or remove people from my trust? If I die, can my kids/wife take possession of it without any issues (assuming they are on the trust of course)?

I appreciate the help in this matter.

Re: Adding/Removing Trustees

As I understand it the Can belongs to the trust not the individual. But not being qualified to give legal advise I would consult your attorney to verify. Different states have different trust laws.

You can add and remove people from your trust as you see fit. My attorney charges 75$ each time I make a change to the trust.

Anyone on the trust can be in possession by themselves at any time, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can add and remove people from your trust as you see fit. My attorney charges 75$ each time I make a change to the trust. </div></div>

That is ridiculous. Just do it yourself and have it renotarized.

If you add or remove someone do you have to send it to the aft for their records?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you add or remove someone do you have to send it to the aft for their records? </div></div>

Not at this time but in the future I wouldn't be surprised if we see some dramatic changes to Trusts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can add and remove people from your trust as you see fit. My attorney charges 75$ each time I make a change to the trust. </div></div>

That is ridiculous. Just do it yourself and have it renotarized.</div></div>

I was just going to post this. It costs me a trip to the bank. No reason to have a lawyer manage that paperwork. That is the biggest racket ever.

Can a Trustee be added that doesn't reside in the same state of which the trust is drafted? I.e, can I draft a trust in TN and add a trustee in another suppressor friendly state?

If so, is there any special verbiage that must be included in the trust?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triple D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can a Trustee be added that doesn't reside in the same state of which the trust is drafted? I.e, can I draft a trust in TN and add a trustee in another suppressor friendly state?</div></div>

It is possible, however I'm not sure on the verbiage that must be included. Also, my atty. is licensed in both states- possibly that matters??

What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work? </div></div>

It doesn't... If you sell an item it has to be legally transfered through an SOT with a new $200 tax stamp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work? </div></div>

It doesn't... If you sell an item it has to be legally transfered through an SOT with a new $200 tax stamp.</div></div>

not yet... under federal law you can sell a NFA item to a resident of your state w/o using a dealer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work?</div></div>

selling a trust isn't a good idea... trusts were never intended to be sold... now an LLC on the other hand?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work?</div></div>

selling a trust isn't a good idea... trusts were never intended to be sold... now an LLC on the other hand?</div></div>

The trust belongs to you. The items belong to the trust. You don't sell a trust; the way I understand it, say you die, is that the beneficiary of your trust has to get a trust of his own and have the items transferred into it. You can sell items out of the trust, but you keep the trust.

I'm in the process of looking into having one of my infant nieces made an executor, but she lives in NE and isn't yet 1yo. As an executor, if anything happened to us, she could take possession of the trust in its entirety with no hassle at all. Then all she'd have to do is change address and go back wherever she'll be living then, and presto, we get to keep it all in the family with no BS. I plan on doing this as a protection to any grandfather clause they may come up with, now or later. I also plan on adding my semi's and even mags (I'll SN each one) to the other schedule, hopefully that way there won't be any taxes to transfer them in later if a ban happens --just a quick schedule change.

LLC can range from a bad idea to an extremely horrible idea. It has to be maintained, pay fees yearly, depends on state so all are different. Just a pain in the ass. And if you forget to pay or are held up somewhere, you may find yourself in violation of the NFA. You or your LLC can also be sued or have liens put on your business (for matters that have nothing to do with firearms) and end up losing it. The trust is a one time deal and done, no fees no nothing, and it can't be raided, that is the point of it. You'd be stupid to get an LLC vs. a trust unless your LLC is actually a running business that uses NFA items as tools of the trade. My .02 anyway, I looked into LLC before I got my trust, and the trust is the way to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uracowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can add and remove people from your trust as you see fit. My attorney charges 75$ each time I make a change to the trust. </div></div>

That is ridiculous. Just do it yourself and have it renotarized.</div></div>

I was just going to post this. It costs me a trip to the bank. No reason to have a lawyer manage that paperwork. That is the biggest racket ever. </div></div>

I would venture that fractional reserve banking is a <span style="text-decoration: underline">much</span> bigger racket than Carter's attorney's fee. :)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work?</div></div>

selling a trust isn't a good idea... trusts were never intended to be sold... now an LLC on the other hand?</div></div>

The trust belongs to you. The items belong to the trust. You don't sell a trust; the way I understand it, say you die, is that the beneficiary of your trust has to get a trust of his own and have the items transferred into it. You can sell items out of the trust, but you keep the trust.

I'm in the process of looking into having one of my infant nieces made an executor, but she lives in NE and isn't yet 1yo. As an executor, if anything happened to us, she could take possession of the trust in its entirety with no hassle at all. Then all she'd have to do is change address and go back wherever she'll be living then, and presto, we get to keep it all in the family with no BS. I plan on doing this as a protection to any grandfather clause they may come up with, now or later. I also plan on adding my semi's and even mags (I'll SN each one) to the other schedule, hopefully that way there won't be any taxes to transfer them in later if a ban happens --just a quick schedule change.

LLC can range from a bad idea to an extremely horrible idea. It has to be maintained, pay fees yearly, depends on state so all are different. Just a pain in the ass. And if you forget to pay or are held up somewhere, you may find yourself in violation of the NFA. You or your LLC can also be sued or have liens put on your business (for matters that have nothing to do with firearms) and end up losing it. The trust is a one time deal and done, no fees no nothing, and it can't be raided, that is the point of it. You'd be stupid to get an LLC vs. a trust unless your LLC is actually a running business that uses NFA items as tools of the trade. My .02 anyway, I looked into LLC before I got my trust, and the trust is the way to go.</div></div>

if you'll read along... the OP asked about adding and removing trustees selling the trust...

about once a month we get asked about this, as a way to avoid a "transfer" of and NFA item.. "Mr ATF agent, I didn't sell the NFA item, I sold the trust that owned it"...

that's not a great idea... while it MAY be perfectly legal in some states (dunno, not an attorney), it will be extremely frowned upon by the ATF...

IF, if you want an entity that CAN legally transfer a NFA item by selling the entity, a trust is NOT the way to go... a LLC, Corp., etc on the other hand can be and is commonly sold along w/ any holdings it may have.

Awesome info. I didn't figure selling the trust was wise at the very least. Figures I would get the answer to be sure though.
smile.gif
. Thanks for the great replies.

ATF has squished this a bunch already, alot of guys try to bypass and evade the taxes with Trusts.

They are working on clarification and regulating how Trusts can or can not be used.

We are our own worse enemy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45ACP_Marine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if you want to sell an item and you sell the trust along with it. Does it have to go through the process again or how does that work? </div></div>

It doesn't... If you sell an item it has to be legally transfered through an SOT with a new $200 tax stamp.</div></div>

not yet... under federal law you can sell a NFA item to a resident of your state w/o using a dealer </div></div>

Good to know... Thanks man...