• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Adjustable combs

johnstonblake

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 1, 2010
Texas
On a precision hunting rifle, are they not necessary? I like getting a good cheek weld.

Does anyone even make a lightweight hunting stock with an adjustable comb?

Re: Adjustable combs

I have a NON adjustable HS precision stock along with a nice cheek pad that I've built up using high density foam and its about as perfect a cheek weld as you could ever ask for. Highly recommend this type of system, and yes Id say some sort of risen cheek comb is a must for proper weld and scope/eye alignment. mho

Re: Adjustable combs

Get some OD or black duct tape from your hardware store, and a couple of maxi-pads from a female friend or some foam pipe insulation, and tape a pad(s) on your stock until the height is where you want it. It might not be purty (unless you are really good at taping stuff), but it works good and you cannot beat the price.

Or, get a "stock pack" from one of the tactical stuff suppliers to put on your stock. You can boost the height under it with the pads or foam insulation. Looks more snipery to the untrained person than OD duct tape, but man....that OD tape rocks.

McMillan build stocks with adjustable cheekrests -- look at their website first to get an idea of the model you want, then call and discuss it with them. There ain't no free lunch doing this, it's an additional cost option, and adding the hardware adds weight to the stock. Consider an HTG (good all-around choice IMO), for your action and barrel contour.