• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Adjustable gas block

Frontyard_Patriot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2020
North Carolina
Building a .308 ar10. 16” barrel w/ rifle gas. The rifle will be fired w/ and w/o suppressor.

Interested in feedback on different adjustable gas block options. I have used Seekins in the past but am not married to them.

POF and superlative arms are my other thoughts at the moment.

...my personal .308 carbine build with a Ballistic Advantage Hanson Series 16", Mid-Length Gas System, is running with a SLR and has been 100% reliable with factory 150-178gn loads. I used LC M80 for the "break-in" and to get baseline numbers for my load development. Here's the initial 100YD results of one of the loads I worked up AFTER the barrel break-in.

...BTW, my gas block is set to "4 clicks open", using standard Aero Carbine buffer, spring and tube and have ejection patterns of 3:30-4:00 depending on load used...

Attachments

• 20170228_054939.jpg
    20170228_054939.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: Frontyard_Patriot
Make sure you run the adjustment screw on the SLR in & out periodically, every couple hundred rounds, at least. Otherwise it'll carbon lock in place. They're not kidding about that.

Reactions: Frontyard_Patriot
For anything other than a range toy an adj gas block is a bad idea.

I have had problems with two of adjustable block mentioned in this thread. It is frustrating, but for now I went back to a non-adjustable block.

For anything other than a range toy an adj gas block is a bad idea.
I’ve heard a good bit of folks that are against an adjustable gas block for a hard use rifle. I’m in on the SLR and hope this set up will work well for me.

But I do prefer simple. And a fixed gas block is just that. We will see.

While SLR has a good reputation, I am not the biggest fan of adjustable gas blocks as once its tuned to a particular round it may run into issues with lower pressure ammo or if temperatures get pretty cold. They also introduce more moving parts into the process. With that being said, I really like the idea the BRT gas tubes as they give the user some adjustability but do not introduce any moving parts into the system.

Reactions: Jsp556
....carbon lock can be an issue with any adjustable gas block, but regular PM regimen should mitigate that. Adjusting your AGB to the most common ammo or MILSPEC ammo you typically have access to should mitigate any issues you may or may not encounter with handloads or climate changes. One must also consider that barrel gas port erosion over time will open up the diameter of the port, allowing for potential increase in port pressures. The other aspect is if the AGB is "set and left" to function across multiple loads with no PM between shooting sessions, it effectively renders it a "non-AGB" and the users is not taking advantage of the adjustability features any longer, but that's an individual choice and as long as it functions for the user, no "right or wrong" there.

...MY personal procedure with my SLR's is after any shooting session, I just back the adjuster screw fully out, fully in, a couple of times then reset to original setting. I have at times put a squirt of CLR on the adjuster screw when fully out so it continues to breakdown any residual carbon between shooting sessions. This procedure takes less time than filling up a magazine and I always carry the adjustment tool in my cleaning kit. YMMV.

Reactions: LeadZeke
On my short suppressed guns I'll use an SLR gas block & set it up so it cycles, but won't lock open without the can, using our weak training ammo. I'll slap the can on & test it out, make sure it locks back & then run it hard to make sure I'm good.

At that point, I let it carbon lock & get on with my life since I don't shoot my shortys without cans.

Reactions: ddavis
....carbon lock can be an issue with any adjustable gas block, but regular PM regimen should mitigate that. Adjusting your AGB to the most common ammo or MILSPEC ammo you typically have access to should mitigate any issues you may or may not encounter with handloads or climate changes. One must also consider that barrel gas port erosion over time will open up the diameter of the port, allowing for potential increase in port pressures. The other aspect is if the AGB is "set and left" to function across multiple loads with no PM between shooting sessions, it effectively renders it a "non-AGB" and the users is not taking advantage of the adjustability features any longer, but that's an individual choice and as long as it functions for the user, no "right or wrong" there.

...MY personal procedure with my SLR's is after any shooting session, I just back the adjuster screw fully out, fully in, a couple of times then reset to original setting. I have at times put a squirt of CLR on the adjuster screw when fully out so it continues to breakdown any residual carbon between shooting sessions. This procedure takes less time than filling up a magazine and I always carry the adjustment tool in my cleaning kit. YMMV.

That will indeed work to maintain the system, the only issue i see with that plan is alot of people these days really like to not clean or maintain their rifles as it seems like everybody wants a filthy 14 or something like that. As long as people understand whats going on with their stuff, more power to them

On my short suppressed guns I'll use an SLR gas block & set it up so it cycles, but won't lock open without the can, using our weak training ammo. I'll slap the can on & test it out, make sure it locks back & then run it hard to make sure I'm good.

At that point, I let it carbon lock & get on with my life since I don't shoot my shortys without cans.

This is pretty much how I treat every adj gas block I have. Wolf ammo with no can and a clean gun will cycle but no bolt lock. The chance of me having to run Wolf ammo with no can is practically zero but I know I can wipe down the bolt and run it if I need to. Why suffer through shitty recoil impulse 99% of the time for that off chance I need to shoot shitty ammo?

Reactions: YammyMonkey
I should have specified. Something more complex than a sig516 or lmt piston or similar design is unnecessary.

But a 16” w/ rifle gas might require it dependent on gas port size.

Keep trying; your "clarification" didn't make that comment any smarter. And the rifle gas 16" comment tells us that you don't actually understand what an adjustable gas block does anyway or what DI setups might benefit from one (hint - almost all of them, except when the gas system is too long to start with).

I can agree that a click adjustable gas block isn't a great idea on a serious gun for the simple reason that you might forget what position it's set in, if you're the kind of person to click it back and forth for different loads or with/without a suppressor. But a simple set and forget adjustable like the ~$60 Seekins block is as reliable as any other if it's set up right. If you have reliability issues with one of those, it's the fault of the guy who installed it, or the guy who adjusted it. There are plenty of people who aren't qualified to change their own oil, much less install a gas block, but that's not the fault of adjustable gas blocks or a reason not to have one correctly installed and tuned on a serious rifle.

For the people who insist on shooting garbage ammo, you're the reason most AR barrels are over gassed from the factory. The rest of us though can benefit from proper gas tuning.

I have an AR 308 that was extremely over-gassed suppressed. I installed the SLR gas block with a tungsten buffer and it barely moves now when I fire it. The cycle rate did slow down a bit but the hogs never noticed it.

+1 SLR,I put copper paste on the adjustment screw, seems to help, but still need cycle the threads once in a while.