• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

adjusting Howa HACT trigger

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Ive seen in videos people adjusting spring tension with the nut on the front of the trigger body. Mine is covered in a white glob of either some kind of sealer or may be grease havent touched it. Wondered if this was implace to keep people from messing with it. I really like the trigger just want it a tad lighter, not buying a Timney, just need it a tad lighter. Seen people cut springs which im not quite ready to do until ive done more research and tried other things. Anybody know what Im talking about? Could we get Matt (I think?) From howa to chime in? Right now feels right around 3 pounds, 2-2.5 is perfect for me.

The white glob is some type of sealer. It feels a lot like silicone or rubber cement when removed. I adjusted my trigger using only the set screw and wasn’t able to get it set where I liked it. I had the set screw nearly all the way out... so much that it was hitting the front of the stock. I ended up cutting the spring and love the way it feels now. I followed videos on YouTube that explained the process pretty well. You can tighten the set screw to raise the pull weight if it’s too light, just don’t cut too much. I think I ended up cutting a bit more than 1/2 coil off. Took me a few times as I didn’t want to cut too much.

Last edited:
Reactions: jLorenzo
yes, the white is tamper seal. the trigger is capable of being adjusted to ~2lbs. we cant recommend cutting the spring however...
Matt thank you for your response. I love all that your doing for Howa and being active on here is huge. I recieved an email answer from Yadria at Legacy Sports saying its to keep people from tampering with it and if I do I void the trigger warranty.

Matt thank you for your response. I love all that your doing for Howa and being active on here is huge. I recieved an email answer from Yadria at Legacy Sports saying its to keep people from tampering with it and if I do I void the trigger warranty.

Wonder why it would void the trigger warranty if the tamper seal is removed? Doesn't it need to be removed to adjust the set screw?

yes, the white is tamper seal. the trigger is capable of being adjusted to ~2lbs. we cant recommend cutting the spring however...

So Matt, for those of us who have it over 3 pounds and would like to safely adjust down to around two without cutting the spring, how would we go about?
Thanks...

ill work with Yadira on this, seems to be a miscommunication on what warranty is.

it is perfectly acceptable to adjust the trigger spring weight, its only capable of being adjusted so far down. ~2lbs.

ALL of mine are adjusted down, i have a HACT trigger with 4-5k rounds on it that breaks at 1.5lbs. The factory HACT trigger is great, just wish there were some more aftermarket single stage options out there, but its like pulling teeth to get one developed!

Last edited:
ill work with Yadira on this, seems to be a miscommunication on what warranty is.

it is perfectly acceptable to adjust the trigger spring weight, its only capable of being adjusted so far down. ~2lbs.

ALL of mine are adjusted down, i have a HACT trigger with 4-5k rounds on it that breaks at 1.5lbs. The factory HACT trigger is great, just wish there were some more aftermarket single stage options out there, but its like pulling teeth to get one developed!
So do you remove the white stuff or just adjust with it on?

you have to remove it, just peel it off
Thanks I really appreciate you being on here to answer questions. Seems to me these barreled actions are the ones to beat. Unbelieveable quality for the money. The trigger is great I just like mine a hair lighter. Just under 3lbs is perfect for me.
Maybe I shouldnt mess with it, its already more accurate than I am.
20181009_145855.jpg

looking good!
Its shoots several things well even 11$ federal soft point. Mark of an accurate gun.
The group on white paper is federal XM80 149 ball.

Attachments

• 20181008_193205.jpg
    20181008_193205.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 20181006_184306.jpg
    20181006_184306.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20181001_141441.jpg
    20181001_141441.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 20181006_184345.jpg
    20181006_184345.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 82
I would sure like to see a 2 stage CE from Timney but the HACT is pretty sweet as-is with a spring change.

My experience with my HACT trigger - out of the box, with the adjustment all of the way out was a nice crisp 2.5lb pull. To me, an almost perfect general purpose/hunting trigger. Yes - I removed the silicone goop on the adjustment screw.

I then followed the popular online video on how to cut down the trigger spring - I did this, and now the first stage is just under 1lb, and the trigger breaks nice and clean at 1lb5oz - a very nice target trigger that passes all of the safety & bounce tests.

All in all, I think the factory Howa HACT trigger is great - I feel no need to change it out.

Have fun,
Bob S.

Hey Matt. If I remove that white tamper seal can I adjust it to have a lower pull weight or is it as low is it will go from the factory?

Out of the box both my Howa's have been "good enough", but I need get them out and adjust them to make them a little lighter. Was curious on the white goop too so this was helpful.

Just did some trigger work on my lightweight Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel (really handy deer rifle). Trigger from the factory was EXCELLENT in all ways except for pull weight; while I want something in pounds rather than ounces for a field gun, mine was pulling over 5lbs and I wanted to trim one or two off that.

Didn’t do anything fancy/major, but it couldn’t have been any easier. Removed the white goop, backed off the nut, backed the screw out all the way then got two full rotations into the threads, locked down the nut and sealed it all back up. Average of 5 pulls put me at 3.25lbs (about 200rnds and maybe 300 trigger pulls on the rifle since it’s pretty new). Perfect.

Pics of the goop. This really couldn’t have been easier and it retains that excellent factory break:
8C5B3A5E-3556-4211-9C23-4F7A7FA61A2D.jpeg

C2571816-C41C-47A2-82C1-8BA400214856.jpeg

9A94A472-5C3F-44CB-BE4D-3F508987B67A.jpeg

Reactions: Matagorda308
Just did some trigger work on my lightweight Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel (really handy deer rifle). Trigger from the factory was EXCELLENT in all ways except for pull weight; while I want something in pounds rather than ounces for a field gun, mine was pulling over 5lbs and I wanted to trim one or two off that.

Didn’t do anything fancy/major, but it couldn’t have been any easier. Removed the white goop, backed off the nut, backed the screw out all the way then got two full rotations into the threads, locked down the nut and sealed it all back up. Average of 5 pulls put me at 3.25lbs (about 200rnds and maybe 300 trigger pulls on the rifle since it’s pretty new). Perfect.

Pics of the goop. This really couldn’t have been easier and it retains that excellent factory break:
View attachment 7053345

View attachment 7053346

View attachment 7053349
Nice I had to pull the spring out and cut a loop off it’s at 2lbs there is a video on YouTube on how to do it. It’s pretty easy. And does not fire unless I pull the trigger.

I too pulled the spring and cut a coil. Got it set right at 2lbs. One thing that I did just for peace of mind.... I stole my wife’s finger nail polish for a few minutes, and put a drop of it on the set screw/jam nut to lock it back up and keep them from moving over time. Is it needed? Prolly not, but the factory put something there.... so I figured I would too.

Nice, I’ll probably put another ~hundred rounds through it at the range and see if there’s any movement, then drop some lock tite in there if so.

For my long range build — which will be either a Howa HCR or a Howa Bravo — I’ll absolutely be cutting down the spring in the trigger. I’ll want that baby near the 1 pound mark for a dedicated long range toy.

Broke the tiny flathead screw when I tried to adjust mine down. Just the top half of the slot. Very strange. Just gonna leave it as is until I can afford a replacement after market trigger.

Broke the tiny flathead screw when I tried to adjust mine down. Just the top half of the slot. Very strange. Just gonna leave it as is until I can afford a replacement after market trigger.
the timney is your best option, can be found on ebay for around 120

I did my trigger today. It came set at 3.5lbs. I followed the youtube vid and clipped 1 1/4 coils off the spring and it's breaking at 1lb 11oz. I'll wait until I get the rifle fully built, safety checked, and range tested before calling it good to go.

Reactions: stilesg57

What is the trigger weight from the factory? No mention of it in the instructions.

My three HACT equipped Howas were all substantially different (>1.5lbs spread) straight from the factory, though I don’t think I recorded the stock values. Between 3 and 5.5 ish if I recall.

Reactions: Shankin McStaby
My heavy barrel action build 6.5 scaled 3.3- 3.8. My .06 Vanguard is 4. Planning to adjust both Or replace the Creedmore. I ran the adjustment screw in and out several turns and did not change the weight much.
The replacement springs seem to be Ausie made.
Interesting thread- I'm just starting--keep it going.

Attachments

• 1500 T.jpg
    1500 T.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 54
My heavy barrel action build 6.5 scaled 3.3- 3.8. My .06 Vanguard is 4. Planning to adjust both Or replace the Creedmore. I ran the adjustment screw in and out several turns and did not change the weight much.
The replacement springs seem to be Ausie made.
Interesting thread- I'm just starting--keep it going.
Try cutting half a coil off. Did mine, then another quarter or so coil after than. It's a sweet trigger now. I would only do a half coil at a time though.

Reactions: kodak45
I got the lighter spring from AUS for the -06, dropped it in ( Not) it took me several times reviewing some youtube how tos to get the angle right.

Breaks nicely at 1.9# same as the Timney in the 6.5. The HACT still has 2 stage take up while the Timney one stage moves very little before the break.

I've cut the spring on HACT triggers out of several full-size 1500 actions, as well as all five of the Mini builds I've done for myself. The HACT trigger is just dandy after clipping the spring, good enough so that I removed a Timney trigger on one of my rifles and put the modified HACT back in its place. Not knocking the Timney - glad they make a good trigger for the Howa actions. Just wanted to applaud Howa for coming out with the HACT trigger.