• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advancements in Handguards

Jigstick

“What’s the matter colonel sanders….chicken?”
Minuteman
  • Jul 21, 2017
    Pittsburgh PA
    I’m looking to replace the BCM Keymod handguards on some of my ARs. Honestly I was never too impressed with them. Very skinny in the hand…even with RailScales installed. Have there been any advancements in handguards over the past 10yrs that sets any apart from others?

The Geissele stuff seems popular. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha
    Reactions: Genesis1984
    Aero makes some girthy rails.😜

Is it just the diameter you don't like? Or is it the mounting system? There's tons of quality rails on the market that come in every size..

Yep, the trend is toward slimmer rails. They are lighter than fat rails of equal length, and feel more nimble to manipulate.

Reactions: GhostFace
    I like the slimmer rails. They look slightly off compared to a Geissele MK8 rail on an SPR build but they save weight so I’ve stuck with them

There's always this option ;) (y):
    listing_pic_1780227_1592095685.jpeg

The aero quantum rails are thicccccc. I picked up a set a few days ago to try something with. Seem nice enough just looking them over

I have used quite a few slim rails (Geissele Mk4, ALG EMR, Midwest Industries SS, Aero Atlas, etc) and generally prefer slim rails for most of my builds.

However, I have a couple SPR style rifles with heavy barrels, and the slim rails get REALLY hot near the bore, where the barrel clearance is minimal. I have the PRI Delta forearm on my SPR, which is fantastic. The larger diameter rail & carbon fiber construction really insulates it from the barrel heat, and even keeps it comfortable to grip in cold weather, too. The PRI stuff is pricey, heavy (for carbon fiber), but really nice if you want a chonky rail. Bonus points if you want to build a Mk12 Mod 0 "clone". The Aero Precision Enhanced or Quantum (not Atlas) rails offer similarly large diameter rails at a lower price point.

Honestly the BCM picatinny rails are fan-fuckin-tastic. You wouldn't even have to remove the barrel nut just swap em out, sell the old one w/ the new barrel nut and move on with your life.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    Not a fanboy, but I just did a 13.9 with the LaRue 13" stealth 2.0 and it is 100% awesome.

Makes my other stuff feel like a toy.
    She ain't lite, but she sure is right.

Honestly I think most today’s rails are shit/overpriced/overhyped, especially bendy Bill Geissele stuff.

Only time I really felt satisfied was with the DD Lite 6 bolt attachment or the KAC URX 3/3.1 or the monolithic like Colt Canada MRR and the VLTOR VIS.

Not sure if it’s me that’s out of touch with reality but I’ve tried most flavour of the new stuff (MI, Geissele, ALG, Aero, SLR) and never really connected.
    But then again I have hands bigger than Shaq so maybe that’s why I’ve always like the old school cheese grater. Plus you don’t really worry about your IR loosing its zero on a URX or mono and on a 9-10” handguard the weight difference is negligible between a URX, DD RIS LITE or a BCM MCMR

I could be completely wrong but in all the advancements in the gun industry (magazines, optics, chassis, ergos, etc) seems like we peaked a long time ago in the free float hand guard dept and we’re still stuck in 2014...

Not a fanboy, but I just did a 13.9 with the LaRue 13" stealth 2.0 and it is 100% awesome.

Makes my other stuff feel like a toy.
    She ain't lite, but she sure is right.
    I actually liked my Larue 9.0 FF. Was my first FF rail. Bought it in 2006 for a Armalite 11.5 SBR. I hate Mark and his mount but his rail were actually pretty good back then where the offer pretty limited.

Reactions: CaptArab
    I could be completely wrong but in all the advancements in the gun industry (magazines, optics, chassis, ergos, etc) seems like we peaked a long time ago in the free float hand guard dept and we’re still stuck in 2014...
    What else is there to do?

M Lok seems to have taken over and Keymod has waned...

The Geissele stuff is great- ignore the bashing because that 'bendy' claim was a set of specs by the gov't and not Bill Geissele's own design. He simply gave them exactly what they demanded.

ALG, BCM, Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries, Lancer Systems, all make very good handguards.

Reactions: rpoL98
    2014 all the cool kids were still running Troy Alpha rails with the goofy octopus suction cups in the holes. Now days you don't see a Troy Alpha and the current rails are a lot better IMHO.

Cool thread.
    I really debated this since I tend to be stingy, but some times after working three weekends in a row I say screw it. So if you want high dollar, light weight, an bad ass looking check out SMOKE industries. Maybe they are old hat to you guys but I like carbon fiber stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220129-090235_Samsung Internet.jpg
      Screenshot_20220129-090235_Samsung Internet.jpg
      930.1 KB · Views: 106
    I’m looking to replace the BCM Keymod handguards on some of my ARs. Honestly I was never too impressed with them. Very skinny in the hand…even with RailScales installed. Have there been any advancements in handguards over the past 10yrs that sets any apart from others?

Come over to the quad side!

Attachments

• A6EDA161-4D27-4EAB-BCD2-BDB4F3CA5C70.jpeg
      A6EDA161-4D27-4EAB-BCD2-BDB4F3CA5C70.jpeg
      200.3 KB · Views: 149
    Come over to the quad side!
    Why the preference for boat anchors? ;)

Free-float Quads do have a place admittedly, but mostly if you intend on actually using the rail space with things needing a solid zero hold or recoil handling (laucher, lasers, etc)

Reactions: Ravenworks
    I’ve been building with carbon fiber hand guards. They are much cooler to hold during faster courses of fire.

Coda Evolution is one that I particularly like.

Reactions: JS8588

If you look at rail like geissele mk4, the outer specs are 2.11”. These are a little over a 1/2 wider then your bcm.

I really just need to be able to mount my Dbal, Surefire, and some rail scales. Just need something that’s fatter for my man hands.

@Jigstick what do you want to do with your rifle? What length of a rail are you looking for?

If you are not using the rail for anything other than a handguard, find one that you like the size of and rock on. If you are looking to attached items like bipods and lights than M-LOK is probably where you want to look but picatinny has always been GTG (although there is a weight penalty). If you need to mount lasers and you are worried about rail flex in regards to zero than that list just got significantly shorter and more expensive.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    Guard has to be rigid. I’ll be mounting my Dbal on it. And possibly a Nox18 or clip on thermal

Guard has to be rigid. I’ll be mounting my Dbal on it. And possibly a Nox18 or clip on thermal
    So is it "MLOK or bust"? Or are you considering pic rails? Why not the RIS II? If you can wait a few months, you can get a RIS III (like the RIS II, but lighter and with MLOK).

Take a look at WOA's rails; they are a little thicker wall thickness than most, very well made with an excellent finish & the price is right at $140. I've used a couple & they have a long, sturdy barrel nut. The only downside is that they are a little heavier than BCM or SLR or Geiselle.

MM

Reactions: Jigstick

What length do you need

M Lok seems to have taken over and Keymod has waned...

The Geissele stuff is great- ignore the bashing because that 'bendy' claim was a set of specs by the gov't and not Bill Geissele's own design. He simply gave them exactly what they demanded.

ALG, BCM, Daniel Defense, Midwest Industries, Lancer Systems, all make very good handguards.
    Do you have a reference for this?

• Haha