• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advantages of .338 lapua over the .50 BMG?

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
I was wondering what are the advantages of the .338 lapua compared to the .50 BMG? I was thinking between the Barrett Model 95 and the savage 110ba. One of my main questions is how are the ballistics compared between the two at 1 mile? Can the .338 lapua stop a vehicle at that range or is that best suited for the .50 BMG? I know the .338 lapua is an anti-material round to an extent but what extent? The main thing I like about the .338 Savage is the lighter weight (15lbs compared to 22lbs for the model 95). But is that the only advantage of the .338 lapua over the .50 BMG?

Re: Advantages of .338 lapua over the .50 BMG?

Cost. Ammo cost. Reloading cost. Barrel life. Recoil. + for 338

.50 a .50 forget about it lol

Seriously 50 is the 338 + 3 buddy's with angermanagement problems.

338 also is a wonderfull gun to shoot the .50 is a beast with out a good break on her it's not wonderfull at all but it will stop a tank at a mile.

Both will stop car 338 has to be placed

Grizzdude,

The .338 actually has as good of ballistics as the .50 BMG. One you can push the relatively equal BC bullets faster. And the other is they have better ballistic 'form' than the .50's do. Meaning the 50's derive a lot of their high BC from weight. The .338's derive it more from bullet shape or 'form'.

The .50 will beat it hands down in the energy department, though.

I would prefer the .338 (obviously) as it's single man portable with a combat load, and carries every bit the range the .50 does.

Also, on the Savage, they don't look pretty, but they do shoot great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you can reload 338 on standard equiptment</div></div>

Another plus to the .338
wink.gif
grin.gif

Do you need to stop a vehicle at 1 mile often? Hopefully in the USA, that's not a frequent event.

The 338LM may not go through an engine block at one mile, but the soft target behind the windshield may make a more appealing target... I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a 338LM round behind the windshield, or the car door, unless it is armored vehicle.

There are AP rounds for the 338LM, but is solely restricted to military and possibly LE agency only.

Why would 338 Lapua AP be restricted? Last time I checked with ATF, it wasn't on their restricted list.

Weight. A Barrett 50 requires a 2 man team just to carry the rifle an ammo.

Seems like the .408 Cheytac would put the BMG out of business. Have you even considered the .408? I am not trying to deviate from the core of your question, but the .408 is simply wicked. Surely you can get into one comparably to a BMG. Just thought I should throw that out.

Over 50 years of military surplus in .50 BMG. 50 BMG is less expensive than .338 Lapua.

The concussion from the muzzle blast on a .50BMG sucks balls,and sinus headaches can begin as early as 10 rounds.

.50 BMG Multiple platforms in use in the military.

On the Cheytac Let see...
1. Cheytac went bankrupt.
2. .375 CT ballistically trumps the .408 Cheytac.
3. Jamison International went out of business in October of this year providing most brass, and some of the more popular projectiles. Doesn't seem like a prudent supply decision.

Lastly the military/government doesn't always make the "best" decisions.

I'm really leaning towards the .338 lapua, I mean I want to be able to walk a couple miles with this thing in mountainous terrain. Seems like the weight alone on the .50 bmg combined with ammo, would be very difficult to travel around on foot with. I don't need to fire at vehicle's at 1 mile too often, just wondering if it could do the job in a SHTF type situation. Besides that cost is a factor, I can pick up a 110BA, Quality optics, ammo and reloading dies for less than the Barret .50 alone. I think AP ammo for the .338 is still legal because I've seen them being sold on gunbroker in the past, apparently they are made by Lapua. I have thought about the Cheytac .408, I really like the whole "system". But If I'm going to spend that much money I would rather go with the devastation of a .50 BMG

A .50 just to have it. A .338 for accuracy and useability.

I had this debate a few weeks ago as I was planning on purchasing either the m95 or a .338. I had settled on the .338 since it can be reloaded on standard equipment, it would be more practical for hunting (practical is a relative term in this case), ranges allow it, and it is more portable. Fyi, I settled on a completely different caliber due to ammo costs.

Reactions: bellavite1

The.338LM is the way to go. A good choice would be a rifle that performs SUB MOA at distance, is accepted by NATO Special Ops teams and is less than half the weight of the .50 system.

Check out the PGM .338LM PSR Rifle

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gm4W5ce-uKk?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maverick,

Thanks for the intel. I had a buddy touting the .408 and talking about getting into one. Oddly enough he was concerned about stopping armored bulldozers and such at distance. He was also concerned about the price for ammo. Purchasing the .50 vs reloading for the .338. The initial rifle purchase cost advantage seemed to go towards the .338 with money to spare for reloading supplies and ammo. He has not done his homework on the .408 as he will have a tough time with reloading. Either way, interesting concern to shut down a vehicle at 1 mile. As to how much ammo he needed, I asked my buddy how many bulldozers he planned on facing. He said, "you never know."

Thanks again for the intel, I will pass it on.

It's interesting to note, but I did a preliminary math on the weight of the ammo, if you need to hump it around. As everyone knows, your rifle is nothing but an expensive stick without ammo.

For my 338LM, each round weighs about 700 grains. That makes 10 rounds weighs about 7000 grains, or 1 pound. So, a 100 rounds weighs only 10 pounds. This will allow me to hump a few more rounds if I am on the move.

For the 50 BMG, each round weighs about 1200s grains so for every 6-7 rounds the weight is about 1 pounds. So, for every pound of weight, I have 3-4 rounds more to engage.

Don't have a 408, so I can't do the match, but I figure it will be somewhere in between. At the end of the day, it's a matter of how many rounds can a person lug around, if you are on the move. Just saying....

The ranges here will allow you to shoot .338 stuff at their steel targets, so at least you can use it. The .50s are stuck shooting paper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake Associates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The.338LM is the way to go. A good choice would be a rifle that performs SUB MOA at distance, is accepted by NATO Special Ops teams and is less than half the weight of the .50 system.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gm4W5ce-uKk?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

LOL ol ol ol ol...... Apparrently if you make a video and you play rock music and show a bunch of spoiled SWAT looking like rich kids on the ski slope with the latest cool gear and no idea how to use it...then it means that the featured rifle is REALLLY bad a** toooo funny... Feel like I just saw Sons of Guns meets a modern warefare 3 convention.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Drake Associates</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The.338LM is the way to go. A good choice would be a rifle that performs SUB MOA at distance, is accepted by NATO Special Ops teams and is less than half the weight of the .50 system.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gm4W5ce-uKk?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> </div></div>

LOL ol ol ol ol...... Apparrently if you make a video and you play rock music and show a bunch of spoiled SWAT looking like rich kids on the ski slope with the latest cool gear and no idea how to use it...then it means that the featured rifle is REALLLY bad a** toooo funny... Feel like I just saw Sons of Guns meets a modern warefare 3 convention.

</div></div>

OLOLOLOL.... Apparently you missed the part about the .338 system weighing half what the .50 does. The whole system is portable by one man. Not two, or extended ops three. Also, there are .338 AP bullets that will take out an engine block, if not a bulldozer through the blade, out to 1500m.

I'll put it to you this way, I've shot plenty of .338's now and enough .50's to know what is harder to pack and what will provide enough punch.

Why don't we just "pack" 57mm anti-armor guns with us? I'm impressed with the .50, but not sold on it for a few reasons. Round count (what you/a team can pack on a long range mission). How much is too much? If the .338 does the job, why pack a .50?

Then there's that little thing called the longest shot. The .338 owns that one, not the fifty. Also, regarding that, there is a video on Chris's website showing the .338 being tested. Note how much recoil there is. Not much...and I'm damned impressed with how little I saw. I've shot some very well braked .50's and I have to say that not one of them is forgiving even with a great break in the recoil department.

Don't mistake the message Sandwarrior...I love the .338. It was just the drake video that was bafoonery

I am not qualified to even comment on this thread from a real world perspective. But I always thought the 338 was attractive from it's individual usability. The system shown above appears to be heavy.

Again, I don't know what stuff weighs in the 338 world, but weight would seem to be a biggie.

Regards,
Greyson

So, owning a 50BMG is kind of like owning a Harley? Its big, its heavy, its loud, its expensive and many who own them do so to impress others and dont really know how to operate it to its potential
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't mistake the message Sandwarrior...I love the .338. It was just the drake video that was bafoonery</div></div>

I know what you mean. But, that kind of advertising is pretty standard.

My wife, who is a marketing manager, always tells me that if you <span style="color: #3333FF">{added: <span style="font-weight: bold">don't</span>}</span> get the commercial or something about the commercial is "off" to you, you might not be the target audience.

That said, I think you and I would certainly qualify here as 'target audience' people. Eliminating the "Steve Vai" guitar sound/backdrop might help you and I watch the video with a little more interest, but the numbers say most who are interested in this system, prefer it.

I am a big fan of the 338LM. It is hard hitting and easily portable. I had a 50BMG and while it a total blast to shoot it was a pain to get into position for hunting.

<span style="font-weight: bold">50 cals are a lot like kids, they are good idea at the time... </span>

Most people who get a .50 and don't know what they are getting into soon regret it.. expect those who will stick it out just to say they have a 50

A 338 is the all around perfect choice for those who want to push beyond 1000 yards into the mile zone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had a 50BMG and while it a total blast to shoot it was a pain to get into position for hunting. </div></div>

???!!!??? WTF??? What were you hunting with a 50BMG??? I thought I was bad using a 110gr 30-06 on coyote

True that, I want a .50 but just to say I have a .50. Lowlight brings the wisdom again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">50 cals are a lot like kids, they are good idea at the time... </span>

Most people who get a .50 and don't know what they are getting into soon regret it.. expect those who will stick it out just to say they have a 50

A 338 is the all around perfect choice for those who want to push beyond 1000 yards into the mile zone. </div></div>

How many kids do you have??!!
wink.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
grin.gif

I'm not talking about those of us on here who always need our diapers changed....

In all seriousness, I was disappointed to hear the U.S. went with the .300 WM. And at that time "dumped" the .338. It really did my heart good to hear the .338 topped the .50 when it did.

I know this sounds a little harsh, but if I was in when that happened I would've liked to have taken the prototype of the .338 that was 'dismissed' and butt-stroked the genius who canned it. Weight close to the .300 WM but with half a mile more range. One day, I hope the ordnance idiots who choose this stuff for us have to live through a gunfight someday. And, it'll be interesting to see how they use their 'tactics' to overcome being outgunned by hundreds of yards.

Now that my little vitriolic side-show is over. I'd clearly take the .338 as THE primary long range precision rifle system.

Loves me a TRG 42. Sweet shooter. Shoulder holds up better than the wallet. Does the .50 have match ammo? just askin'.

+1 on the TRG-42. Accurate load development was very easy. It is expensive to get the .338 Lapua up and running with the high cost of brass, but a hammer like the Lapua is fun on steel as far out as it can be rung.

PS - I never have shot at a moving vehicle. I have ranged cars on the road from my balcony. I think the Lapua would shut one down with proper placement.

I have both....The only way to go.
smile.gif

The 50 is a lot of fun....Sort of the dirty Harry of the rifle world.
I don't care who you are it is a shit pile of fun to shoot.
The 50 hits as hard a 1000yds as the 460Wby does at the muzzle (real world performance not Wby marketing BS)...And it has a bigger bullet when it gets there!
Think about that for a moment!

Downside....Its fucking expensive to shoot!
Accuracy requires a match quality barrel...A lot of 50s have military spec barrels that you will not be happy at 1500 yards out...Even then they can be a bit of a chore to make shoot....An expensive chore at that!

Don't kid yourself the 338s are not cheap to shoot either....Twice as much as a 30cal mag.
Accuracy comes easier with the 338s.

Generally I prefer the 7mm/VLD or 30mags even if I am giving up performance. Match grade accuracy is pretty simple with these.
Once the novelty of the 50BMG is worn down (it never leaves), overall I'd rather shoot 10 rounds of 300Mag that one round of 50Bmg.

Peace

OK, so what iare some opinions on which 338LM is the best riffle?

I'm interested in the Barrett MRAD or the PGM mentioned above

I would vote .338 LM also. But since i can't afford the .338Lm (it's like shooting 5$ bills) I would probably substitute for .338RUM which still wouldn't be the cheapest. .338 is just a sweet sweet round for extreme distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I had a 50BMG and while it a total blast to shoot it was a pain to get into position for hunting. </div></div>

???!!!??? WTF??? What were you hunting with a 50BMG??? I thought I was bad using a 110gr 30-06 on coyote</div></div>

I have hunted deer and coyotes with the 50 I had. The one thing I always thought was odd the damage was less than you would think. One would think it would rip deer in half like a grenade hit them. Nope. Just a big hole and dead deer and coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have hunted deer and coyotes with the 50 I had. The one thing I always thought was odd the damage was less than you would think. One would think it would rip deer in half like a grenade hit them. Nope. Just a big hole and dead deer and coyotes. </div></div>

That's probably because there's not enough resistance to expand the bullet and you're blowing 90% of your Kinetic Energy out the back side of the animal.

LOL...yeah...truth be told, I'd probably try it on a coyote once myself

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's probably because there's not enough resistance to expand the bullet and you're blowing 90% of your Kinetic Energy out the back side of the animal.

LOL...yeah...truth be told, I'd probably try it on a coyote once myself</div></div>

That is very true. Granted now I am sad. I really want a 50 again.

At our club, the 338 Edge's and 338 Lapua's pretty much dominate at the 1 mile shoots. The guys shooting the .50's are great rifleman too. One of the guys is shooting the same Barrett that you referenced. I know that last time he was using the AMAX bullet, but whether its the gun or the round, he just couldn't compete with the .338's accuracy wise.

or go the route i went, Bad News 338 Lapua. weighs 13 lbs and semiauto priced the same as a bolt barret but more fun! LOL
BadNewsHKUSP.jpg

I road race with Willow Springs Motrcyle Club and Chuckwalla Valley Motorcycle Association, WSMC #51 and CVMA #51. One of my long time favorite racers (and Hero) is Colin Edwards (World Superbike and MotoGP). He has a "Boot Camp" in Texas that focuses on improving rider skill. Colin is a gold old boy form Texas so not only do you get some great 2 wheel coaching, his camp also has multiple shooting ranges, paint ball and Wild West Saloon.
http://www.texastornadobootcamp.com/

He allows his students to take turns on his 50BMG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADFwqaGjO9s

There was an interview where a road racing reporter asked, "what does shooting a 50cal rifle have to do with road racing skills", he replied "Nothin, but that shit is fun to shoot!"

My clubs do not permit firing .50 BMG, any cartridge based on the .50 BMG (or as an aside, select fire/sub-guns on FA). Firing .338 LM is permitted (actually encouraged as it remains super-sonic across the longer ranges, at the end of which a target puller sits in a bunker).

My Savage BA in .338 LM fits in my safe. A Barrett .50...not so much...

Myself and a couple of friends went for some long range on Christmas Eve. We had a couple Barret 99s in 50BMG, my DTA in 338 LM, a Remington 700 in 338 LM, and a Remington 700 in 7mm SAUM.

We set up a couple man silhouettes 18" wide at what ended up being 2129 yards measured by GPS.

The one Barrett ended up going out due to a scope malfunction. The other was all over the place and he was shooting the 750 AMAX. The two 338's were staying close, like with in 5-7 yards and one hit. Surprisingly the 7mm was consistently with in 1-2 yards and 5 hits on target.

I think there was a couple of things at play as there always is. First off is the shooters. The guy running the 50 is one hell of a shot. I just think that those 50s are minute of barn accurate. The two guys taking turns on the 7 are also amazing shots. The two of us on 338 are nothing special, but have consistently put shots on target at 1760 yards.

Next is bullets. I was using 300 Scener, the other 338 was using 300 Berger, and the 7 was using the new 180 Berger Hybrid. The 50 was using AMAX, but as previously stated was not really a factor. I think that the 7 was firmly subsonic, and the 338's were going transonic. Also I had heard how well the new hybrids do transonic, and now I am a firm believer.

To sum up. I don't like 50's. They are terribly inaccurate. I don't mind recoil, but with the 50 comes a concussion that flat out sucks.

After this I am also not that pleased with my 338. It is stupid accurate, but just plain cheating inside of 1000 yards so I shoot other calibers here. I rarely go past 1000, but it does real well up to the previous longest distance shot at 1800 yards.

Last is the 7. No contest. You have a caliber that is capable anywhere between 100-2130 and relatively dirt cheap on ammo. A real world conventional caliber capable of ELR.

Savage 110 in hs precision 1200 bucks vortex viper pst 6x24 sfp 850 mile rig under 2100 bucks. Thats my plan anyway.Reloading components are coming down to, and the options are growing as well. Nosler now makes brass. The only thing stopping me is well money or the lack of.

I have an AR50. Its a blast to shoot, but my buddies 110BA in 338LM is more accurate. I will likely own a 338LM before the year is over.

I think "fireguyty" summed it up for me, except I picked a 7mm WSM.

If you can shoot 338lapua or 50bmg in volume...you are either not paying for your ammo (e.g. Military or LE) or you are filthy rich. In which case you are probably better served bodyguards.

Seriously, unless you need anti-vehicle capacity, go with 338lapau over 50bmg.

I will second the motion for the 7mm. This past summer myself and some friends from Nevada shot at one mile.

In disagreement with those above, the .50's ruled the day. One was a LAR 50 Grizzly and the other was a McBros. Both were very accurate, with the edge I think going to the McBros. However, as noted, neither was exactly one man portable. Not to mention what I did before that extended ops with one would require either frequent re-supply or another man to help pack ammo. Either increases the risk of being compromised.

However, the other two rifles being shot at one mile that day were a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 7mm-08. I've been told by many the 6.5 was too small (it wasn't, in fact I was damned impressed with it) and that the 7mm-08 was too slow. It wasn't. Pushing a 168 JLK or Berger out to one mile was pretty accurate. A lot of shots within a couple yards of the target. My biggest issue with my 7mm-08 was that I had a scope that didn't have enough travel so I had to use a hold over on a hold-over. I still got two called hits out of 14 total shots at one mile. At 1k it was like 'pitch and catch'. Being a lot more portable than even a .338 I wouldn't go into the field with it thinking I was under-gunned. The 180's performed even better, but I didn't bring enough of them to be effective.

.338 LM is not that expensive to shoot IF you reload and take care of your brass! If you can make your brass last 12 loads you're looking at $1.40/round, here's the basic math:

Lapua Brass$275/100pcs.x 12reloads = 1200ct.- $275/1200= .23cents per round for brass.
100 F215M Primers- $4.50/100 = .05cents
1LB of H1000 powder $23,@ 70 rounds per pound- $23/70= .33cents
50 bullets, 300gr. Berger OTM Hybrid and 300SMK's $40/50= .80cents
That's $1.40 per round.
I've just loaded over 80 rounds and the powder math along with bullet prices are accurate. I haven't firsthand experience with making Lapua brass last 12 loads, but have read about folk making Lapua brass last up to 14 reloads and still going. The key thing to mention with reloading 338 Lapua Magnum is using Lapua Brass, it'll last if you know how to take care of it. Taking care of it mostly means stay away from shooting loads that exhibit mid-high pressure signs.

Another thing to note is annealing, for extreme accuracy after the 1rst - 3rd use of 338LM brass one should consider annealing the shoulder to mouth area. Haven't done this yet but i've read about others that have loaded and fired over 1k rounds of 338lm having great success.

The top 2 powders i've researched for the 338LM are H1000 and Retumbo.

I cannot understand anyone paying $120 for 20 rounds of Black Hill 338LM ammo!

The only ammo running through my new 338LM is my own, no factory!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IPSICSHOOTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so what iare some opinions on which 338LM is the best riffle?

I'm interested in the Barrett MRAD or the PGM mentioned above</div></div>

I own a PGM 338, and i really like the quality of this piece. It does not have the caliber changing feature like the MRAD but changing barrell is easy on the PGM. I have a spare barrell in the transport case. For me it was a matter of availability (living in Norway) and I can tell you my brother gave up waiting for the MRAD and is still without a .338 rifle.

For me the PGM appears typically French overengineered, but it is really well made no doubt about that. I have an additional adjustable target trigger which holds about 500gr.of pressure before the rifle goes kabooom. The rifle appears to be plenty accurate, and thats the most important thing for me. I have placed an order for a PGM Ultima Ratio and waiting for the export permission from France. The caliber is 308 and probably a lot more expensive than changing caliber on the MRAD ;-)

Well I guess I would not place that much money in another PGM if I was'nt satisfied with the quality ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wbeard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have hunted deer and coyotes with the 50 I had. The one thing I always thought was odd the damage was less than you would think. One would think it would rip deer in half like a grenade hit them. Nope. Just a big hole and dead deer and coyotes. </div></div>

LOL...yeah...truth be told, I'd probably try it on a coyote once myself</div></div>

im hoping to get a ground hog hit on vid with a 50bmg spotter round
smile.gif