• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice For Newbie Assembling Rifle

1911addict42

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 1, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Hi guys,

As some of you may have seen on a different thread, I’m trying to gather as many rifles as possible.
    You guys have been great with the input I’m learning a lot and gaining perspective!

Some suggested I assemble my own, and while I’ve never done it, I’ve decided to go for it; however, just about all the quality parts seem to be sold out and unavailable.
    Is there somewhere specific I need to be looking? Or am I simply too late to procure?

If I do in fact need to wait for parts like barrels and receivers to become available again , in the meantime, can you guys offer some input on specific brands and parts you’d recommend for a high quality build? I’m willing to be patient and wait for the right products to come up. (Those carbon proof barrels look cool, is that a gimmick or legit?)

My understanding based on some reading on the Hide is that an AR10 build requires expertise, so I suppose I’d be interested in 5.56 and 300 blackout caliber builds. If that’s wrong, then I’d go for a .308!

All that said, if any of you have parts you’re looking to sell, I’m interested.

I don’t know what I don’t know, so all productive input is appreciated!

Last edited:
    A 308 need attention to detail as in buying parts that are proven to work together.
    Very first one I built was buolt with everything bought from one manufacturer (Aero precision) and it worked right out of the box.
    Keep reading and learning and your build should be easy and valuable, enjoy it

Reactions: 1911addict42
    With any AR build, deciding what the intended purpose is will help with parts you choose. There are a huge number companies that make receiver sets. For my higher end precision builds, I have been loving the SanTan Tactical receivers, and for my simple high round count fighting rifles, I have been really impressed with the simple Aero Precision M4E1 sets.

Proof Carbon barrels are awesome and shoot really well. You cannot go wrong with them. Not cheap, but nice and stiff.

AR-10 builds are not necessarily any more difficult than AR15s. You just have less options to choose from and you cannot mix and match as much. Find an AR10/SR25 platform that you like and make sure to either go with their handguard system, if they offer one, or go with the correct hadgaurd that fits the receiver set. With most large frame builds, an adjustable gas block will always help with the tuning.

With any AR build, deciding what the intended purpose is will help with parts you choose. There are a huge number companies that make receiver sets. For my higher end precision builds, I have been loving the SanTan Tactical receivers, and for my simple high round count fighting rifles, I have been really impressed with the simple Aero Precision M4E1 sets.

Proof Carbon barrels are awesome and shoot really well. You cannot go wrong with them. Not cheap, but nice and stiff.

AR-10 builds are not necessarily any more difficult than AR15s. You just have less options to choose from and you cannot mix and match as much. Find an AR10/SR25 platform that you like and make sure to either go with their handguard system, if they offer one, or go with the correct hadgaurd that fits the receiver set. With most large frame builds, an adjustable gas block will always help with the tuning.
    It’s interesting that some guys strongly recommend against building an AR-10, and some like yourself are supportive of it.
    The intended purpose would be a lightweight reliable battle rifle, but with decent precision at longer range. Like the POF revolution and the SCAR.
    Mia that doable as a build without proprietary pets and expertise?

Reactions: MPDS13
    You aren’t kidding that AR parts are unobtanium at the moment. I was lucky enough to score a 10.5” .223 barrel and a 4” 9mm barrel from Craddock Precision recently. I too am attempting to increase my collection before November.

You haven’t mentioned the need to build an AR in 9mm. I have one with a 10” barrel already, but after building a 4.5” upper in .22 lr, I decided that it was THE configuration for a home defense weapon. The 9’s are a blast to shoot from 1-50 yards.

Lou

You aren’t kidding that AR parts are unobtanium at the moment. I was lucky enough to score a 10.5” .223 barrel and a 4” 9mm barrel from Craddock Precision recently. I too am attempting to increase my collection before November.

You haven’t mentioned the need to build an AR in 9mm. I have one with a 10” barrel already, but after building a 4.5” upper in .22 lr, I decided that it was THE configuration for a home defense weapon. The 9’s are a blast to shoot from 1-50 yards.

Lou
    I’ve been looking at some of the AR9 particularly the Banshee. Also looking at B&T pro.
    From what I’ve read, it seems a PCC in 9mm can be more finicky when doing a build, I wouldn’t want to sacrifice reliability...how do you find yours?
    right now I’ve got a 300 blackout pistol for home defense but wouldn’t mind something for plinking and softer shooting for the woman

I’ve been looking at some of the AR9 particularly the Banshee. Also looking at B&T pro.
    From what I’ve read, it seems a PCC in 9mm can be more finicky when doing a build, I wouldn’t want to sacrifice reliability...how do you find yours?
    right now I’ve got a 300 blackout pistol for home defense but wouldn’t mind something for plinking and softer shooting for the woman

My 9mm AR is the first AR build that I ever did, and I went all in on it. The lower is a Quarter Circle 10 receiver. I went with an AR10 buffer spring and a hydraulic buffer. It functions flawlessly. I have about 1000 rounds through it and it has never failed to feed or eject. I basically copied another build that I found on the inter web and don’t remember all the specific components, but all it it was pretty expensive. It just flat out runs.

Lou

My 9mm AR is the first AR build that I ever did, and I went all in on it. The lower is a Quarter Circle 10 receiver. I went with an AR10 buffer spring and a hydraulic buffer. It functions flawlessly. I have about 1000 rounds through it and it has never failed to feed or eject. I basically copied another build that I found on the inter web and don’t remember all the specific components, but all it it was pretty expensive. It just flat out runs.

Lou
    If I can find parts I may try doing that too

i don't see what it is you can't learn by breaking down the rifles you already own. they aren't that complicated.
    the important thing to know is that all the pieces work together to create proper timing to extract and load.
    too much gas too early and it can't eject because the brass is still expanded, that sort of thing.
    imo, you don't have to buy a box of parts to understand that.

i don't see what it is you can't learn by breaking down the rifles you already own. they aren't that complicated.
    the important thing to know is that all the pieces work together to create proper timing to extract and load.
    too much gas too early and it can't eject because the brass is still expanded, that sort of thing.
    imo, you don't have to buy a box of parts to understand that.
    It is both to learn and to obtain more weapons. But you’re right for only purposes of understanding mechanics I can do YouTube with my rifles

It is both to learn and to obtain more weapons. But you’re right for only purposes of understanding mechanics I can do YouTube with my rifles

Make sure you study up on the parts that cannot be "seen" by just opening up your AR's. The safety detent and spring, takedown detents and spring, assembly of the buffer tube system properly, torque range on the barrel nut, properly staking the castle nut, etc..

Reactions: FishinGuns
    BCM is a staple go-to for quality parts:

They have a lot in stock, currently.

I consider their barrels mediocre, function fine, accuracy is decent. All their other parts are an upgrade to most rifles sans KAC, LMT, previous to current Colt.
    Thanks is for this! I’ll look around...From what I’ve seen too BCM has a very good reputation everywhere.

Reactions: FishinGuns
    Look for any parts available and build a truck gun that you wont feel bad about being rough on.
    that way you can get experience now and a few more guns.
    then when the good stuff that I can’t normally afford let alone election/chicom flu pricing becomes available you will have a better idea what you want, need, or is over-rated.

Look for any parts available and build a truck gun that you wont feel bad about being rough on.
    that way you can get experience now and a few more guns.
    then when the good stuff that I can’t normally afford let alone election/chicom flu pricing becomes available you will have a better idea what you want, need, or is over-rated.

That's actually a darned good idea....

As for Large Frame AR's, I wouldn't say they are trickier .... more of a no "Mil-Spec" Guideline for the parts, makes it more of a challenge for those parts.
    Stuff like bolt catches are all over the place,
    The 2 dominant carbine stock patterns don't inter-change,
    2 different dominant upper to lower patterns, ( including 2 different barrel nut pitch threads. )
    I am not a fan over mix and match BCG's between those 2 dominant patterns .

>...... etc...

But if you pick one brand upper and lower, use the same brand parts kits, including a same brand handguard ( at least until you are more familiar with the nuances )... you can eliminate a lot of the headaches.
    I will say, most Large Frame AR's benefit from a Adj. GB ( buy quality ) ... and that is totally dependent on the gas port size .

If you are a new assembler of AR's ... I'd do a AR15 first , but a 308 / 6.5CM isn't insurmountable.

That's actually a darned good idea....

As for Large Frame AR's, I wouldn't say they are trickier .... more of a no "Mil-Spec" Guideline for the parts, makes it more of a challenge for those parts.
    Stuff like bolt catches are all over the place,
    The 2 dominant carbine stock patterns don't inter-change,
    2 different dominant upper to lower patterns, ( including 2 different barrel nut pitch threads. )
    I am not a fan over mix and match BCG's between those 2 dominant patterns .

>...... etc...

But if you pick one brand upper and lower, use the same brand parts kits, including a same brand handguard ( at least until you are more familiar with the nuances )... you can eliminate a lot of the headaches.
    I will say, most Large Frame AR's benefit from a Adj. GB ( buy quality ) ... and that is totally dependent on the gas port size .

If you are a new assembler of AR's ... I'd do a AR15 first , but a 308 / 6.5CM isn't insurmountable.
    It sounds like for me, I may as well buy out of the box for AR-10 unless there was something very specific I wanted.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    It sounds like for me, I may as well buy out of the box for AR-10 unless there was something very specific I wanted.
    Dependent on your cash flow... a Aero Precision "kit"... with a good barrel could be very gratifying. 350+ dollar barrel, Criterion.. comes to mind.

Or a LaRue build.

Oops... and consider a 6.5CM ... for me, lots of advantages over a .308. ( good points to each caliber )

I think that the AR 10 in .308 is hands down the winner for a SHTF homestead protector lol. Of course, you need to live on at least 100 acres to put it to use. Having smacked steel with my .308 out to 1000, it’s still bringing the mail at the 700 mark with 175s. I know that I sure as hell would get the fk out of Dodge if someone we’re slinging them in my direction. I personally don’t own one, because it doesn’t fit my personal life situation, but it definitely has a place. SBR 9s on the other hand fit my situation very well.

Lou

Dependent on your cash flow... a Aero Precision "kit"... with a good barrel could be very gratifying. 350+ dollar barrel, Criterion.. comes to mind.

Or a LaRue build.
    What would be the benefit of building a Larue as opposed to buying one, other than the long wait times?

I think that the AR 10 in .308 is hands down the winner for a SHTF homestead protector lol. Of course, you need to live on at least 100 acres to put it to use. Having smacked steel with my .308 out to 1000, it’s still bringing the mail at the 700 mark with 175s. I know that I sure as hell would get the fk out of Dodge if someone we’re slinging them in my direction. I personally don’t own one, because it doesn’t fit my personal life situation, but it definitely has a place. SBR 9s on the other hand fit my situation very well.

Lou
    I’m in a pretty suburban area- I’ve got some .308 builds but my primary focus is the .300 blackout supressed- a very good all around weapon for my purposes

I’m in a pretty suburban area- I’ve got some .308 builds but my primary focus is the .300 blackout supressed- a very good all around weapon for my purposes

I agree ballistically, but there won’t be a ton of 300 BO should supply chains break down.

Lou

I have built several rifles. Now is a tough time as already said. I would check what Seekins back order time is. I highly recommend their uppers and lowers.

I have built several rifles. Now is a tough time as already said. I would check what Seekins back order time is. I highly recommend their uppers and lowers.
    They are very backlogged- I forget how long they said but it was quite a bit. Just like everyone else!
    They’re saving parts for full rifle builds, so I’m going to just buy out of the box until this all clears up

What would be the benefit of building a Larue as opposed to buying one, other than the long wait times?
    Well, you can save some money. For example, you could get an 12" Ultimate Upper in 300 BO for $792. They are now running a special where they will assemble the upper for free. Then you can just build your own lower (which is pretty easy to do). My memory is that the Ultimate Upper kit comes with everything but the lower receiver. If you want an all LaRue rifle you can get a receiver from them for $200. Or get a lower from Aeroprecision or Spike's Tactical. I just picked up a blemished receiver from Aeroprecision for $71. So for $863 you put together a quality rifle with a great trigger and outstanding accuracy. I have a couple of LaRue uppers and they have been real shooters.

I think for $3-400 more you can pick up a suppressor as well, although you will have some paperwork to fill out and probably a pretty hefty wait. You will have a tough time beating those prices and at the end of the day you will have a fantastic rifle.

BTW - I have no affiliation with LaRue whatsoever, other than being a bit of a fanboy.