• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice needed on M1A optics.

Mn_Shooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
Minnesota
Hi all...

Currently residing on me Bassett Machine mount is a Bushy 10x in low rings. I like the scope but not when it's mounted on the M1A. The lack of eye relief forces me to "push" my "chin weld" forward on the stock. It's do-able but not naturally comfortable. Makes me ponder the idea that the M1A should be shot with irons "like God intended". OR... Would adding a scope with longer eye relief, ultra low rings and a cheek riser cure my issues.

What's your take on this? If scoped, suggestions please?

Re: Advice needed on M1A optics.

Though I think a fixed 10x is not for an M1A/M14 type rifle i suggest either a GDI or Smith Ent. mount. There made to get the eye relief on Acogs and sit past the rear sight. This should help with the eye relief.

Agree with above. Look into a Brookfield-style 3 point design like Smith Enterprise, Sadlak, or ARMS. The Bassett is not ideal, and do not waste $ on a Springfield Armory mount.

Forget the purists cause God didn't invent the M14. If scoping a M14/M1A were such a bad idea, then we wouldn't these crazy contraptions called M21, M25, Mk14, Crazy Horse...

I just got the casm mount. It replaces the rear sight, seems much more securethan other 3 point type mounts. Also you have to get a cheek riser, mine is 1 1/2 inches thick, you have toget one made for m1a. Regular stock packs wont raise you enough.

Here's my M1A....US Optics SN-3 1.8-10x44,US Optics low rings,Smith mount.Cheek weld is ok but I probably should put a nice leather cheek riser on it.Eye relief is generous at 3.5" on the USO.

[img:center]
ForSale012.jpg
[/img]

[img:center]
ForSale014.jpg
[/img]

Hawk.... WOW!!! That's incredible!!!

My choice for the 10x glass was brought on by budget. I had this scope and it needed a home. I'd love to get different optics but currently, cash reserves are low.
frown.gif

I'm working to be able to afford one of the mounts listed above. Not sure which one yet... But it will need to be "repeatable" as Dad won't use glass. The XTR rings most likely be retained. Again due to budgetary reasons. Then there's that little matter of a scope... I'm a M1A virgin so your assistance is much appreciated.

Any scope suggestions in the $500 range?

The 3-9 super sniper goes well with the M1a. I would also look into the pride fowler RR800 3-9X42. I have a Nightforce compact with LV reticle, similar to the one on the pride fowler. It is an excellent combination for quick shots with the M1a.

Maybe check out the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44. Should be able to spot a deal on a new one for $500-$550, and should be easy to sell with almost no loss if you decide to upgrade.

Had a NF 2.5-10 and tried my roommate's Leupold Mk4 3.5-10 on my M1A -- neither met my personal tastes & preferences. Playing with a USO SN4S 1-4x on it right now, but on the market for a USO 1.8-10.

This might not be relevant but I have an aimpoint on my m1a. From what I've seen all optics on the m1a, it really messes up your cheek weld since the optic sits so high up. Try to go with the lowest mount possible in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mn_Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But it will need to be "repeatable" as Dad won't use glass. </div></div>
If you're referring to the ability to remove the mount to shoot irons occasionally this is a very bad idea. the best mount out there IMO is the Sadlak but I would never remove it unless absolutely necessary. When they're mounted correctly they're stellar but once they're in place I wouldn't fool with it. You'd be better off finding some low QD rings since the Sadlak allows you to shoot through it to use irons. I'd second the USO 1.8-10X...excellent optic on a M1A.

555-p7300067.jpg

I'd suggest the USO too but since the budget restrictions I'd definately go SWFA 3-9.

Its FFP and plenty tough.

Good luck,
Merritt

Thanks again guys for all the advice!

Update: Rifle sharing problem solved! As we speak, there's a M1A Standard in route! "SOMEONE" is going to have a fun Christmas!

The latest purchase literally kills my optics budget. That said, I'll have to rob Paul to pay Peter for glass. Looks like I'm going to have to do a little scope swapping with a few existing set ups. IF... I do this, I'd have my choice of four:

- Viper PST 2.5-10
- Trijicon 3-9 Accupoint
- Bushnell 4200 6-24 Mil/Mil FFP
- Trijicon 1.5-4 Accupoint

(Sorry... The Aimpoint is staying on the SBR. Or is it?)

Of the options listed, which way would you go?

I think that mounting a scope on an M1A is an affront to all that is Holy, but if you guys are looking for a 1.8-10x44 like in Hawk4357's pics above, I've got one for sale:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...276#Post2969276

I can do a little better on the price for a quick sale. I'm also only 1 hour from Cologne, MN......
wink.gif

With a standard walnut or USGI fiberglass stock you will need a cheek riser, period, unless you have a freakishly-shaped noggin. Trying to get around this will only result in disatisfaction.

+1 on the Sadlak mounts. I run one of these with a 40mm objective scope and can just see under the scope to use the irons at the same time. Eye relief should not be an issue with any decent scope. Figure out where your head wants to be on the rifle and plan from there.