• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Advice on 1911

f4phantom

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2009
Garland, Tx
Hey all. I was looking into buying a springfield TRP. Probably a used one to save money and later on replace some parts to improve it. Or would it make sense to buy a less expensive modle like a loaded one and start from there. I would appreciate advice on the upgraded parts too. I have a slightly upgraded Colt series 70 and want to improve on it. Thanks. Troy

Re: Advice on 1911

fill out your profile

You need to decide on basic frame design first. Full size, compact, bob tail, light rail, etc. or are you just going for anything cheap and functional. This info will better lead to your 1911 destiny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tim K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll add that it's usually cheaper in the long run to upgrade as little as possible by buying the gun as close to what you want as you can. </div></div>+1 - get what you - built right - want the first time (and then you will desire several more). Having one smith here do this with a part and another over here do that with another part ... is not way to build a 1911 (and if you decide to sell, you will never recoupe your money building one that way ...). A 1911 is more than the sum of all its parts - it is how all the parts work together that makes it reliable, accurate, etc. You desire consistency in a build. Study multiple weapons from multiple manufactures. Like in LR shooting you do not desire to skimp on quality when it comes to 1911s.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/DocJN/1911-8-2-1.jpg?t=1268911823

At 50 yards (5" NHC Dominator - on a good day
grin.gif
):
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa206/DocJN/NHC-Dominator-50yards-us-2.jpg?t=1268911858

The TRP is an awesome pistol. I purchased a Loaded model and have upgraded it since, but it would have been cheaper to get the TRP. Go to 1911forum.com and check out the Springfield forum. TRPs get great reviews.

Josh

I've got a TRP and love it. I bought it unfired from a buddy who bought it and had a trigger job done then it sat in his safe. Overall it's pretty much what I'd choose for a 1911 build, ie ambi safety, magwell, beaver tail, and so on. The slide to frame fit is really tight. Not quite like my 2011 but pretty damn close. I've read where some folks talk about a break in period but mine ran right out of the box and hasn't hiccuped yet... The checkering is the only thing that took some getting used to (little sharper than I was expecting but not too bad).

Have you looked at any other brands, models, builders, etc.?

The TRP is a great pistol right out of the box. You really shouldn't need to do anything to it but shoot it. I love mine and highly recommend it.

Its almost always cheaper to get waht you want right away instead of having to send it off for work over and over again.

The TRP is a nice gun and I've seen some good deals on used ones lately for around 1000 or so used.

I shot 1911's quite a bit in USPSA and IDPA stuff and recently bought another one. It was between a TRP, and Les Baer PII, a wilson CQB, and an STI Lawman.

The TRP's i handled weren't even close to the Les Baer, STI, or CQB. I ended up with the Baer but honestly am starting to wish I would have gone with the STI.

It was fit just as well as the Wilson for half the price.

I've got another STI Trojan with close to 15,000 rounds through it in the past couple years and its been flawless.

All are within a couple hundred bucks of each other used except the wilson which seem to run about 1800 used.

PII's around 1300
TRP's around 1100
and Lawmen 1200 NEW

My Trojan was 950 new.

Colt Series 70 is a wonderful base from which to build a great pistol.

I'd decide what you want in a 1911 and get a good smith to do the work on your Series 70.

I would agree with the advice to do it right the first time. I just dropped off my Colt 1911 70 series to the smith a few weeks ago. I spent almost a year figuring out what I did & didn't want, buying parts & saving $ for the build. It is more expensive up front however I feel it will save you money in the long run.

I just wish I followed my own advice when I built my rifles......

I have owned over 50 1911's. My two favorites that I shoot weekly are my Nighthawk Custom .45, and my STI Trojan 9mm. In all honesty, the STI is built just as well as the customs, and cost WAY less. It will shoot as good as any 1911 you can find.

I keep thinking I need a .40...probably will be an STI Edge. The STI's have all the goodies in them, and I just special order the Dawson fiber optic front sight as an option. I also have the ambi safetys on them. Trojans run less than $1K. Built to shoot 100,000 rounds then send them back for a free "tune up", and shoot another 100K.

I have a TRP and a Kimber Custom Tactical HD and I think the Kimber feels more balanced in my hand. I agree with everyone else in making the point to buy the gun with the features you want already on it. The TRP has all the possible options you may want such as an ambi safety, flared magwell, full length guide rod (not a fan of the 2 piece design though but an easy fix), night sights and a skeletonized hammer and trigger. I like the Kimber because it came with a rail and was a couple hundred dollars cheaper than a new TRP and about the same price as a used one. As you can tell though I couldn't make up my mind so I got both, hehehe.

The TRP is a great pistol for sure, the only problem with the TRP is the price point. As others mentioned for a little more money you get into the customs. When you're knocking on the door to Les Baers and used Wilson's you might as save up a few more pennys and get one. I guarantee down the road will will want one. Its the same thing as everyone here with optics, once you get a taste, game over. Then again, ive made the mistake, and so have many others so you might as well find out for yourself!

Had a TRP (should have kept it!) but have had fun re-working a used mil-spec. One bit of advice, don't even think about hand-checkering the front strap! Ouch!

First 1911 was a Springfield Armory standard grade (frame/slide made in Brazil), that was done up by Kurt Wickmann--a great gun!

Second 1911 was a TRP. The slides and frames are precision machined to each other. You can see and feel the difference between these two level of Springfield Armory guns.

Both guns are great. TRP was cheaper, and was off the shelf.

So, decide what features you want, then see if there is an off the shelf gun that has the features (and appearance) that you like. Will save you time and money this way.

+1 on TRP. I have had one for several years. Used it in IPSC matches for a couple of years, ran flawless. I replaced mag release and ambi safety. Used either Wilson Combat and/or Ed Brown, forget which. Trigger was great out of the box. They are well worth the money and definitely cheaper than trying to build a cheaper pistol up. If you do want to replace trigger, try Cylinder and Slide.