• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice On 308 Rifle

Looking for some advice on getting my first 308 bolt rifle. This rifle will serve as my hunting rig for deer and hogs down here in South Texas. I don't want some super lite rifle since all my hunting is either from a hunting blind or on a bipod. Looking for 20" barrel and threaded to run a can. Won't be shooting long distance, most of my hunting shots are less than 300 yards. Smooth action with great accuracy and good weight is what I'm after. Will be shooting factory hunting loads as well. I'd like to stay under the $1200 range, the cheaper the better though. Been looking at Tikka T3X and Savage 110 Rifles. Looked at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical as well but not too sure on how well they are. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Savage Hog Hunter. I have two. One I rebarreled with a 6.5CM match barrel and the other is my deer rifle. Did a fair amount of shooting 308 with both of them when they were stock and they shot great. Only thing I'd say is the factory stock that comes on it is plastic garbage. I usually replace the stocks though.

I've been very happy with my Tikka CTR regarding accuracy and smooth action, but recently lent it to a friend for a match and the finish came off like nothing I'd ever seen before. The factory stock is good for a lightweight hunting option. I think my rifle with vortex PST Gen 1, bipod and empty mag was just over 10# on the scale. The KRG Bravo chasis is decent, but I'm going to sell the one I have as I've got a grayboe on the way now.

I've been very happy with my Tikka CTR regarding accuracy and smooth action, but recently lent it to a friend for a match and the finish came off like nothing I'd ever seen before. The factory stock is good for a lightweight hunting option. I think my rifle with vortex PST Gen 1, bipod and empty mag was just over 10# on the scale. The KRG Bravo chasis is decent, but I'm going to sell the one I have as I've got a grayboe on the way now.
What kind of finish did it have on it?

What kind of finish did it have on it?
Used to have the regular black finish from the factory on the 20" 308. It was lent to my friend so his brother in law could go to Mammoth with him. I was expecting rubbing on the pack, maybe some light surface rust from the rain, but what happened ended up being a bit more than expected. It's not a big deal to me honestly, because I plan on putting a coat of krylon rattle can camo on it because this gun will see real outdoor use. For many people though, they like their guns to look brand new after 10 years and this one isn't it. If that's a concern, I'd lean towards a Tikka model that's cerakoted.