• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on barrel and barrel length for a 6.5 Creedmore build

onthex

Sport Shooter - Pro Hunter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2018
Tennessee
www.thorboats.com
I am wanting to build a 6.5CM on an AR platform. I want to build this gun to be light and accurate. I have several very accurate 556 builds, but I want something to push a heavier pill with accuracy while maintaining the advantages of a semi-auto AR. I plan to use it on whitetail and I would also like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards + at the range. Is an 18 or 20 inch barrel too short? Also, for accuracy what barrel would be best? Thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Accuracy has little to do with barrel length. It's mainly about velocity. 18-20 inch barrel will be plenty to shoot to 600 + yards. Should easily be supersonic past 1,000. Also, should have plenty of energy for whitetail.

As far as what brand...you generally get what you pay for. Large frame AR barrels can be shockingly expensive, but you're better off spending money on the barrel and saving it on other parts if your budget is limited.

I haven't tried mine out yet but I have high hopes for my Wilson Combat 22" barrel. They make shorter too.

Also untried is my 18" Criterion.

My 24" Criterion bull barrel is very accurate so I have high hopes for it too.

When I do get around to trying, I'll also have a 28" Sendero contour Proof carbon fiber barrel to try out but in a bolt action. They also make AR barrels so another light weight option.

I have another rifle (not 6.5 Creedmoor) due for testing also. My next range trip is going to be busy.

For around $400 or less i would look at keystone accuracy, craddock precision, rainier arms, and wilson combat. There may be others, but those should give you a good start.

Reactions: onthex
In your price range this is your best bet.

18 in is great, I have a BA that I am presently shooting and is sub 3/4 in. I will be replacing it with my new 18in BSF carbon barrel and will be offering it up the BA barrel at a reasonable price in the next couple weeks

18 in is great, I have a BA that I am presently shooting and is sub 3/4 in. I will be replacing it with my new 18in BSF carbon barrel and will be offering it up the BA barrel at a reasonable price in the next couple weeks

Let me know when you put that BA barrel on the market.

I am wanting to build a 6.5CM on an AR platform. I want to build this gun to be light and accurate. I have several very accurate 556 builds, but I want something to push a heavier pill with accuracy while maintaining the advantages of a semi-auto AR. I plan to use it on whitetail and I would also like to be able to shoot out to 600 yards + at the range. Is an 18 or 20 inch barrel too short? Also, for accuracy what barrel would be best? Thoughts/advice will be greatly appreciated.
I did a 25" Bartlien barrel w/brake

Attachments

• 6.5 @ 1000.jpg
    6.5 @ 1000.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 83

Not a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've never tried a Wilson Arms but I know it's different from Wilson Combat.

I've heard good about both but what Bill Wilson has done with the 6.8 SPC makes me lean toward Wilson Combat.

They have sales from time to time also.

It's one option to consider. They have 16", 20", 22" and 24" also.

Not a 6.5 Creedmoor.

I've never tried a Wilson Arms but I know it's different from Wilson Combat.

I've heard good about both but what Bill Wilson has done with the 6.8 SPC makes me lean toward Wilson Combat.

Missed the 6.5cm part.

Wilson Arms is indeed not Wilson Combat. Wilson Arms is a huge barrel maker. Everyone Ive had has been a laser. White Oak has been using Wilson blanks for years...,

Here's that 308 Wilson barrel I tested.

I'll put that on my list to try but it may be a while.

I've known of Wilson Combat for about 20 years, at first for their 1911s.

Several years ago Bill got in to hog hunting I think and began with the ARs. Eventually he got to 6.8 SPC and I saw one of his groups on steel, about 5" at 500 or 600 yards. Very impressive for a cartridge not known for great long range accuracy and with bullets that have much much less BC than 6.5 Creedmoor appropriate bullets.

I got my fluted 22" for about $276 on sale I think. I am looking forward to trying it out.

FYI: Wilson Combat has a bunch of barrels in the Spring Cleaning 25% off sale.

18-20 is fine for what you are doing. In the semi auto platforms I prefer a shorter barrel such as those anyways for mobility purposes. My .02

I bet you're not going to get a Craddock Precision barrel south of $650 except with the most
economical of blanks. @ $350 is going to be in machine time & labor.

He quoted @ $775 for a 24" 6.5CM 1/8 using:
A) Bartlein Blank
B) My supplied ARMALITE barrel extension
C) +2 gas
D) Headspaced on my supplied ARMALITE AR-10 bolt

For squeezing a nickel till the buffalo roars with odds of having a sub-MOA pipe @ $301.75:
https://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-65-creedmoor-rifle-length-fluted-ss-premium-barrel.html

Best to you.

I bet you're not going to get a Craddock Precision barrel south of $650 except with the most
economical of blanks. @ $350 is going to be in machine time & labor.

He quoted @ $775 for a 24" 6.5CM 1/8 using:
A) Bartlein Blank
B) My supplied ARMALITE barrel extension
C) +2 gas
D) Headspaced on my supplied ARMALITE AR-10 bolt

For squeezing a nickel till the buffalo roars with odds of having a sub-MOA pipe @ $301.75:
https://ballisticadvantage.com/20-inch-65-creedmoor-rifle-length-fluted-ss-premium-barrel.html

Best to you.

20190421_205530.jpg

Reactions: beenjammin
Thanks for the correction, C_R_Slacker,

I forgot about that section of Craddock's site. My fault for always thinking
of only Bartlein blanks for my ARMALITES AR-10 builds.

I purchase Criterion chrome-lined for much of my 16" & 20" 223 Wylde rifles.

Again, thanks for the correction.

No problem, i wish i could afford bartlein, Krieger, etc. on every gun, but there are some good options in the next tier down too. I learned about craddock from other users on this site. Just trying to pass it along, haha

I just installed a 20" Faxon heavy flute on mine over the weekend. Testing it tomorrow. One thing I did notice in pre-assembly was that it has a shorter throat than the barrel it replaced. I had to reseat alot of ammo.

Thought of a 6.5 Grendel instead? Easily push 123 pills out to 600, good hunting round, and lighter than AR10 builds.

Reactions: Chetly78
Onthex I will be posting my 18in BA barrel with the gas tube in the next day or 2 after I get pictures and will be asking $175 including shipping is your interested pm me.

You could look at Rock Creek Barrels. I think that is what Seekins Precision uses on their 6.5 SP-10. My shoots great. I have mine in 22”.

What about Satern barrels? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Not specifically with 6.5cm, but I used their barrels in a 6.5G. That gun was a hammer. Shot sub MOA at 200 yards and took it out to 1,193yds with repeatable hits. Fitment into the upper was perfect.

This was all with factory hornady ammo too.

Reactions: onthex