• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice On "Do-All" Optic for 2 Caliber Origin Build

I would like it a lot more if the reticle had brighter illumination at 3x, one of my main requirements with a crossover scope is a reticle that's usable at bottom mag and this one isn't ideal with the thin MSR2. Outside of that, there is a lot to like with this scope, not quite as good as ATACR 4-16x42 in overall optical performance, but has much wider FOV than ATACR and very clean edge to edge which gives this scope the advantage IMHO. Turrets not as good as ATACR but not horrible and 2nd rev window numbers are a big plus. The elevation "lock" on mine moves the turret every time (windage lock is just right) so I've sent the scope back to Steiner/Burris in Greeley and we'll see what they do (I have had mixed results for Steiner/Burris warranty service). If the scope comes back with elevation lock as "light" as windage I will be very happy. Low light results showed this scope was brighter than ATACR which is not too surprising with 56mm vs 42mm but I also had Schmidt US 3-20x50 and I didn't see a massive difference so YMMV. All in all, I think the T6Xi 3-18x56 scope compares very favorably and surpasses a lot of the $2k market so far.

So I do not have a rifle currently that I wanted to switch out scopes, but I have been wanting to refine the accuracy on my heavy handloads for my Marlin 1894(.357mag), so I plopped the the Steiner on it and shot some groups at 100yds yesterday to try it out.
The mismatch rifle to test....
IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0694.jpg

Reticle
REALLY liking this scope so far, and the reticle is just lovely. Probably my favorite reticle I've used, and its nice and thin which is what I like. I will agree the daylight illum is pretty abysmal but the large, thick outer lines did make it relatively easy to at least orient to center when on 3x and taking a closer shot(50yds). I wish they would have illuminated the vertical holdovers below the center crosshair. Thats how my P4xi SCR reticle is and that's pretty nice to have for quick lowlight holdover use. That may be might only serious complaint about the reticle.

Glass
To me, the glass is noticeably better than my Razor Gen2 3-18. I'm not sure if its the color pop or clarity but look at small gray spots and hit marks on an IPSC Steel target painted white, at 100yds, the details of the gray/white hits seemed far more clear and detailed using the Steiner. In fact, my P4xi seemed almost as clear as the Razor. Maybe its the color range or contrast that my eyes just prefer the Steiner glass.

Eyebox/CA
I generally do not pick up CA very well at all, and noticed nothing abnormal. I am very surprised by the edge to edge clarity, even at 18x on the scope. For me, up to 12-15x I had zero issue with eyebox, and this is a 1.5" high mount on a Marlin 1894 so its a chinweld to the extreme on a top heavy 16" barreled rifle, so a good canidate to judge that lol. At 18x it was a little tougher but not that bad.

Turrets/Features
The turrets overall are fine by me. I love the shape and knurling, as well as the simple numbers and rotation indicators. Its very clean and obvious, which is what I hated about the MK5 as I felt I was looking at an algebra problem on the turrets. They're a bit mushy, but they line up and it's still obvious when you are clicking each 0.1 mil so I'm fine with it overall. My P4x had turret that felt like you were turning a tight lugnut.

My elevation turret lock is just like yours, and its a bit annoying. I generally leave my elevation unlocked, but I'm going to try to "work it" in and loosen it up a bit. After that, I'll probably call Steiner. It's not even close to a deal breaker for me for how I use the scope, but considering elevation is the most used turret, it's now a minor, but noticeable obstacle. Parallax I have no complaints. Relatively close to the markings and quite forgiving as well. The included Tenebrex caps are nice, and a great addition.
Overall build quality is just phenomenal. Nothing "cheap" feeling about it at all.

Now for the fun/funny part. I hot rodded up some 180gr Gas Checked hardcast Montana bullets, as well as some 158gr XTP's in Starline .357 brass a while back. I was mainly loading for top velocity as a 100-150yd deer pounder, which resulted in 1850fps with the 180's and 2000fps with the 158's, both using 300-MP at "rifle only" charge weights. I expected and hoped for around 2moa as that would be very acceptable to me. Then I did this....

IMG_0700.jpg
Now I do not for one minute, think this rifle is capable of consistently getting anywhere near 0.3 moa consistently, but I found it surprising and a little funny that it was even capable of doing that at all.

If I can consistently shoot sub 2moa (3shot) with the 158's around 1900-2100fps I think that would be a major success and a serious deer rifle.

I shot about 15-20 more hot rodded loads, and as the barrel started heating up, I definitely think the groups opened up. I shot one more group later with the 158's and it was about 2moa.

Just thought I'd share

• Love
Reactions: Glassaholic
So I do not have a rifle currently that I wanted to switch out scopes, but I have been wanting to refine the accuracy on my heavy handloads for my Marlin 1894(.357mag), so I plopped the the Steiner on it and shot some groups at 100yds yesterday to try it out.
The mismatch rifle to test....
View attachment 8245736 View attachment 8245737

Reticle
REALLY liking this scope so far, and the reticle is just lovely. Probably my favorite reticle I've used, and its nice and thin which is what I like. I will agree the daylight illum is pretty abysmal but the large, thick outer lines did make it relatively easy to at least orient to center when on 3x and taking a closer shot(50yds). I wish they would have illuminated the vertical holdovers below the center crosshair. Thats how my P4xi SCR reticle is and that's pretty nice to have for quick lowlight holdover use. That may be might only serious complaint about the reticle.

Glass
To me, the glass is noticeably better than my Razor Gen2 3-18. I'm not sure if its the color pop or clarity but look at small gray spots and hit marks on an IPSC Steel target painted white, at 100yds, the details of the gray/white hits seemed far more clear and detailed using the Steiner. In fact, my P4xi seemed almost as clear as the Razor. Maybe its the color range or contrast that my eyes just prefer the Steiner glass.

Eyebox/CA
I generally do not pick up CA very well at all, and noticed nothing abnormal. I am very surprised by the edge to edge clarity, even at 18x on the scope. For me, up to 12-15x I had zero issue with eyebox, and this is a 1.5" high mount on a Marlin 1894 so its a chinweld to the extreme on a top heavy 16" barreled rifle, so a good canidate to judge that lol. At 18x it was a little tougher but not that bad.

Turrets/Features
The turrets overall are fine by me. I love the shape and knurling, as well as the simple numbers and rotation indicators. Its very clean and obvious, which is what I hated about the MK5 as I felt I was looking at an algebra problem on the turrets. They're a bit mushy, but they line up and it's still obvious when you are clicking each 0.1 mil so I'm fine with it overall. My P4x had turret that felt like you were turning a tight lugnut.

My elevation turret lock is just like yours, and its a bit annoying. I generally leave my elevation unlocked, but I'm going to try to "work it" in and loosen it up a bit. After that, I'll probably call Steiner. It's not even close to a deal breaker for me for how I use the scope, but considering elevation is the most used turret, it's now a minor, but noticeable obstacle. Parallax I have no complaints. Relatively close to the markings and quite forgiving as well. The included Tenebrex caps are nice, and a great addition.
Overall build quality is just phenomenal. Nothing "cheap" feeling about it at all.

Now for the fun/funny part. I hot rodded up some 180gr Gas Checked hardcast Montana bullets, as well as some 158gr XTP's in Starline .357 brass a while back. I was mainly loading for top velocity as a 100-150yd deer pounder, which resulted in 1850fps with the 180's and 2000fps with the 158's, both using 300-MP at "rifle only" charge weights. I expected and hoped for around 2moa as that would be very acceptable to me. Then I did this....

View attachment 8245738 Now I do not for one minute, think this rifle is capable of consistently getting anywhere near 0.3 moa consistently, but I found it surprising and a little funny that it was even capable of doing that at all.

If I can consistently shoot sub 2moa (3shot) with the 158's around 1900-2100fps I think that would be a major success and a serious deer rifle.

I shot about 15-20 more hot rodded loads, and as the barrel started heating up, I definitely think the groups opened up. I shot one more group later with the 158's and it was about 2moa.

Just thought I'd share
Love that rifle, a .357 lever action is on my short list. I've never owned a lever action but love the idea and something nostalgic about them (maybe cause I grew up watching westerns). For 150y and less, it seems ideal and I could see my March 1.5-15 looking really nice on there ;)

Appreciate the thorough writeup, I think that will help a lot of shooters looking at this scope. Steiner has had my scope since Monday so we'll see how long it takes them, hopefully they'll actually fix it instead of sending it back saying (in spec) which Burris has done to me before 🤬 I didn't spend hours turning it but spent quite a while hoping it would loosen over time, it did seem to loosen some but still required two hands to turn on/off which is why I sent it back.

Looking at your rifle setup, hard to tell in the image but are the cartridges in your Hoptic quiver loaded with Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator bullets?

Reactions: Gustav7
Love that rifle, a .357 lever action is on my short list. I've never owned a lever action but love the idea and something nostalgic about them (maybe cause I grew up watching westerns). For 150y and less, it seems ideal and I could see my March 1.5-15 looking really nice on there ;)

Appreciate the thorough writeup, I think that will help a lot of shooters looking at this scope. Steiner has had my scope since Monday so we'll see how long it takes them, hopefully they'll actually fix it instead of sending it back saying (in spec) which Burris has done to me before 🤬 I didn't spend hours turning it but spent quite a while hoping it would loosen over time, it did seem to loosen some but still required two hands to turn on/off which is why I sent it back.

Looking at your rifle setup, hard to tell in the image but are the cartridges in your Hoptic quiver loaded with Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator bullets?
It’s a Marlin 1894 CST. Bought it a few years before the buy out. Has always been a great rifle. I shot a lot of 38 subsonic handloads, which are just insanely fun with a can. But these hot .357’s are fun too.

I had to look at the photo up close to see what you meant but no, they’re Hornady 158XTP-HP over 300-MP.

Shot a couple groups at 50yds today again over a cheap chrono. Clocking 1950fps and shot 0.9-1.4moa. Happy about that.

It’s a Marlin 1894 CST. Bought it a few years before the buy out. Has always been a great rifle. I shot a lot of 38 subsonic handloads, which are just insanely fun with a can. But these hot .357’s are fun too.
Really nice, and I like the aftermarket parts you've put on it, essentially what I've been looking at sans the stock. Is it Ruger who now owns Marlin? Ive thought of Henry but not sure how compatible they are with the aftermarket gear… 38 subsonic sounds a lot like my 300 BLK but cheaper and easier, any issues cycling?
I had to look at the photo up close to see what you meant but no, they’re Hornady 158XTP-HP over 300-MP.
I had a feeling it was the lighting, but thought I would ask, I like the Lehigh solids and use them with my S&W 357 (Underwood)
Shot a couple groups at 50yds today again over a cheap chrono. Clocking 1950fps and shot 0.9-1.4moa. Happy about that.
Sounds fun and maybe your groups are tightening up some, I have some 300-MP as well but haven't played with any loads yet with it.

Reactions: Gustav7
Really nice, and I like the aftermarket parts you've put on it, essentially what I've been looking at sans the stock. Is it Ruger who now owns Marlin? Ive thought of Henry but not sure how compatible they are with the aftermarket gear… 38 subsonic sounds a lot like my 300 BLK but cheaper and easier, any issues cycling?
Correct, Ruger. Ranger Point Precision and Mad Pig Customs both work on Henry’s. My only recommendation is make sure you get a side loading gate. To me it’s pointless without one.

Much cheaper, yes. And the selection of bullets for subsonic is just as vast as 300blk but 1/3-1/2 the prices.

Cycling with the 38’s has been flawless. With any of the short pistol lever guns a quick(er) operation of the lever yields best results. 38’s have almost zero problem unless you pause and end up moving the rifle around or something.

The long 357’s can get stuck a little more easily but a quick and smooth working of the lever again, cuts that down to very rare.

Sounds fun and maybe your groups are tightening up some, I have some 300-MP as well but haven't played with any loads yet with it.
I’m a big fan of 300-MP. It’s similar to RL26 for me but in .357. I think Lil’ Gun can get some screaming speeds too but Ive heard it runs hot and can get heavy pressure quick.

Obviously my rifle only loads are above book max so approach with caution. I’m using information and data based out of SASSnet and Paco’s work with the 92/94 series.

For reference the H&M Bear loads with 180gr GC runs at 1450fps in my rifle. I took the same bullet and it’s running 1800-1850fps with 300-MP. Makes for about 1400ft/lbs of energy. It’s not as accurate as the 158’s but honestly I think I’ve got a little more steam with the 180’s too.

Here's my old 90's Marlin 1984SS .44 Mag (20") with factory Hornady LeverEvolution 225gr. It's not remotely near a high-end scope, but I've been extremely happy with the old Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP on that gun. It's light, handy, and the 1x makes quick-shots and close shots possible.

Next lever-gun will be a Marlin 1894SS .357 Mag version to go in the collection.

Who did your threading and machine work? I'd like to get this one threaded, too. But it shoots so good, I almost don't want to fuck with it...

tempImageHQBgPX.png
tempImageLfAB60.png
tempImageVcxIws.png
tempImageSEAUvK.png
XBAO8115.jpeg

Next lever-gun will be a Marlin 1894SS .357 Mag version to go in the collection.

Who did your threading and machine work? I'd like to get this one threaded, too. But it shoots so good, I almost don't want to fuck with it...

Mine is the 1894 CST, which came from the factory with a 16.5" threaded barrel, and the scope rail. Easily one of my funnest guns to shoot.

Reactions: FuhQ
To me, the perfect crossover scope is the March 4.5-28x52 FX Highpower. Excellent mag range, FML-TR1 is a good reticle that isn’t too busy, wide angle eyepiece with crazy files of view, great glass, great turrets with super easy zero stop and and weighs 29oz.