• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Advice on Gun

bbsj

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2009
Bossier City, LA
I have a Rugar p89 9mm, I don't like the fat grip. My dad has a Gov Colt .45 that I love. Any advice on getting gun with grip like the Colt but a little less money. I have been looking at the Taurus, are they built well?

Re: Advice on Gun

My Springfield Armory Mil-spec was around $550. It's a good gun. Be advised that there's a cheaper "GI" version available, too. Some gun shop clerks don't know the difference, so be careful.

You'll know the Mil-spec because the ejection port is wider than on the GI version.

One thing to consider, though, is that if you change from 9mm to 45ACP, and you don't reload, you'll probably spend more on ammo.

Enjoy,
Bob

bb.....be a nice fellow and complete your profile.....

acquire a good 1911.....to not do so is completely un-american

My wife and I bought new P89s in '96'. They were $270.00 each and I felt I got a deal. They are dependable and a good value but bulky and Ruger is a pain in the ass when it comes to magazines. The 15 round mags are good though expensive and they make a big show of stamping LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY on them and Mini 14 mags. Which they are even bigger assholes about!

I see them for sale sometimes for up to $500.00 now and am amused! For that money I'll pay the extra $100 and get an XD!

I was thinking of selling both of them as I seldom take them out of the safe anymore!

Is the Mil-spec much different than the GI. What is the advantage of the 1911 compared to the XD.

quee,
If their SS, they are near impossible to break/wear out........may want to reconsider.
Plus they make<span style="font-weight: bold"> FINE ASS WHOOPERS </span>if you run out of bang-bangs.
smirk.gif

They are Blued slides with stainles barrels, guide rod, safety, slide release and mag release over a gray/green cast aluminum frame!

It isn't a priority but If I need the coinage, I might sell them if things don't begin improving. I think they'd sell for nearly twice what I paid for them, including all the mags, holsters, grips. They look nearly new(especially my wife's).

Check out the STI Spartan. They run around $550 and have alot of good quality parts. There is also the SA Mil-Spec 1911.

A Springfield Armory Loaded is nice and doesn't cost as much. Quite accurate too.

"Is the Mil-spec much different than the GI. What is the advantage of the 1911 compared to the XD."

The most important difference to me is that the ejection port of the Mil-Spec is larger than on the GI model. I've heard that the GI can dent your brass. I like to reuse mine.

I think that the Mil-spec also has a beveled mag well, and different sights.

I'm not sure if there are other differences. You should check the SA website to verify these remnants of my memory and to see if there are details that I missed.

Part of my motivation was to learn how to work on 1911's. I did a trigger job and replaced the mainspring housing with one that does not have a lock.

It's a very nice gun now.

I don't know the answer to your second question.

Enjoy,
Bob

Cruise gunbroker etc and you may find a good deal. I bought a used bi-tone mil-spec for $350 about 6 months ago. I'm sure with the gun run you may have a little trouble. Taurus are good guns too, in my opinion, all though I don't own one, I would! For the money though get the mil-spec...

Taurus 1911, I own a Springfield Loaded model, but the Taurus is just as good but a lot less money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bluegrasspicker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard that the GI can dent your brass. I like to reuse mine.</div></div>
Dad owns a GI, it frequently dents the brass and it also likes to kick them right at your forehead.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CalmlyDeMented</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taurus 1911, I own a Springfield Loaded model, but the Taurus is just as good but a lot less money.</div></div>
Do you think this says more about Taurus, or SA? I've fired a Taurus 1911 (not sure which model), and a Springfield GI, I liked the Taurus' sights better (who wouldn't, considering the GI has standard metal blades). I noted that the Taurus jammed a few times on Winchester White Box, where the SA jammed none. Not a huge fan of the plastic trigger on the Taurus. It was serrated and the pull felt really gritty. While plastic triggers themselves aren't uncommon, on a 1911 they just seem so out of place.

I think it says more for the Taurus. However, both my Springfield and the Taurus I've fired had trigger jobs. I've never fired a Taurus in its stock form.