• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on longer ranges 250 yards +

Adam B

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 7, 2005
    grand rapids, michigan
    www.adamboynton.com
    My RimX is a hammer out to 200 or so but seems to fall off out past 250+. I believe it is me more than anything. I shot a stage at 250 yesterday and couldn’t hit shit. We did have a pretty stiff wind that changed direction multiple times during the stage. What do you guys recommend to improve longer shots in high winds?

I honestly don't see why something hammering at 200 starts to fail at 250+. Were others hammering it at 250 and only you were failing? I did a match out to 400, and the entire line had about the same success rate, CZ's, Tikka's, Vudoo's RimX... all shooting Center-X variety.

Reactions: GetReal
    It was a mixed bag, the guy who hit the most got 5/10

So I'd say it's not you. ES on rimfire is approximately .1inches per ES, so if you have a 30 ES, that's a 3inch group at 200 yards. 250 yards is going to be worse, (not linear). So maybe the target was too small.

Trust your shots and adjust. So if you miss, spot your miss, and adjust. Deal with the "why" later.

Reactions: Adam B
    Which direction was the wind blowing, I shor some with a straight on head wind that was fairly steady 12-15mph and I couldn’t Hit a 3’ square piece of steel at about 250-300.. wind was messing with me bad took 10 shots to get a hit and doing the same hold for the conditions and it would do something totally different.. made a real monkey out of several of us.

shot a match with a friends T1X last weekend while waiting for my rimx

had higher hit percentage off a barricade at 200+ than some of the prone stages at 50 and 100

That stage was a bit rough. At one point I aimed at the right edge of the 2' wide plate and hit just right of it, next time back it hit the left edge.

Wind is a bitch.

I had a headwind one day, needed 28 mills to 500. Next day was a tailwind, 26 Mills. Another time it was a right wind down one draw, left wind coming from another, and you could see the bullet "S" through the air getting there... with 27 mills.

Reactions: drglock
    I know in matches if I’ve got a good hold on the target and miss that 90% of the time it’s wind related.

The only way you get better shooting rimfire in the wind is to shoot in the wind. Pick an ammo and stick with it then practice. Every ammo I have tried shoots a little different at long range and constantly changing can really make things difficult. I found an ammo I like that shoots well in my rifle and shoot with it in the wind every chance I get. Something a lot of people don’t realize is a head wind, tail wind or a 10 degree temperature shift can make a big difference with rimfire when you start shooting long range as well. You really just need to learn your rifle and ammo. Nothing beats trigger time.