• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on my next step in a LR rifle

SgtDave

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2006
Bedford, Tx.
I have been enjoying my 700 aac for a year now and I'm ready for a 300 win mag rifle. I am selling a Beretta DT-10 shotgun to finance the rifle so my budget will be around $5000-$6000 for rifle and optic. I like my AICS on my Remington so I would like to stay with the same feel on a new rifle. I would love to have a AI AW but that is out of my price range. I like the look of the GAP rifles and want to learn more about the Surgeon and other rifle talked about on this forum. The optic I will probably use will be either a NF or a Leupold Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20X50mm M5 Locking Adjustment scope that I can purchase on a LE price. I would like a USO or S&B but they also are out of the price range. I shoot multi gun and USPSA so I have a lot of money spread around in two JP rifles and 6 SVI pistols right now. What do you guys recommend for a rifle/optic package in this price range.

Thanks,

Dave

I'd recommend you cruise through the for sale section each day or every other day, and jump on something that strikes your fancy. There is always some nice iron moving through this site.

Any of the precision builders you see around here. Robert Gradous, Jered at APA, George Gardner at GAP, Mark Gordon at SAC, and several others that are mentioned frequently on this site will all build you a first class rifle. The question really is what you want. Start with what you want the rifle to be able to do, and then choose the set up from there. What is your goal for the rifle? What constraints do you have (ie, does it matter what it weighs, does it have to have x energy at x yards, etc) How will you be employing it (Mostly prone? Matches? Mostly from the bench? Hunting only?)

Once you have your vision for what the rifle should do, then you can select a chambering and platform best suited to those goals. Many people build rifles in reverse, thinking they want a 300WM when what they really needed was a 6.5Creedmore (or perhaps a 338LM depending on the goal) and they end up selling it or being frustrated by unneccessary weight or recoil or too little energy or some other shortcoming.

6 grand should get you one hell of a rifle. Pick a smith and call him to discuss what you want, it ain't rocket science.

Hi SgtDave,

Yeah, $6k is a good price to aim for; it'll let you choose from among the very best smiths out there. Were I you, I'd spend a good month or so just digging around at many forums (including Sniper's Hide) to see who the most respected gunsmiths are. My own preference would lean pretty strongly toward either Mike Rescigno of Tactical Operations or Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifles, but please understand that's just a personal preference. For $4-5 just for the rifle, you should be able to get one whopper of a WinMag.

Yours,

David

For $4-5 just for the rifle, you should be able to get one whopper of a WinMag.

With a total budget of "$5-6k", spending $4-5k on the rifle leaves $1-2k for optics, rings and accessories.

$5-6k can certainly be used to put together a nice system, but I wouldn't spend $4-5k on the rifle itself. I'd plan to put $2-3 into optics. My personal choice is Premier. Looks like going rate fora 5-25 is ~$2500-2700 or so.

By the time you add a set of rings, a bipod, some magazines etc etc, I don't think he's got room to spend $4-5k on rifle alone.

Mmm...yeah, good point. I'd overlooked the other needed components. Even at ~$3k, though, he still can buy an awful lot of rifle.

Yours,

David

My personnel opinion is to start with a mcmillan action and put a lilja barrel on it in the desired contour and fluting most i have seen are 40-X to reduce the weight but i prefer the weight of 28" strait 1.25" bull. Find a good gunsmith in your area and talk to him about installing the barrel. I would go with a Jewel trigger or something comparable. Next is deciding what stock you want, i went with an AICS AX chassis but if you have an AE and want the same feel ya cant go wrong with AICS AE.

BTW what scope do you have now? Could it go on the new .300 win mag. If so that may free up some funds on the rifle and you could get a used AW.

I have been looking allot at the new bushnell tactical 4.5-30, the vortex razor, or the bushnell tactical 3.5-20 or whatever and a couple of others but I am leaning toward one of these three the most. I just havent decided what retical I love mill dot but I have considered the G2MDR I think it is. I am not sure I understand the G2dmr yet.

Surprised no one has mentioned Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifles. He is a member here and could probably build you a hell of a rifle around your budget.

I have been looking allot at the new bushnell tactical 4.5-30, the vortex razor, or the bushnell tactical 3.5-20 or whatever and a couple of others but I am leaning toward one of these three the most. I just havent decided what retical I love mill dot but I have considered the G2MDR I think it is. I am not sure I understand the G2dmr yet.

The G2DMR is awesome. It works similar to that of a Horus and other similar reticles. You have to look up actual reticle values but its nice and clean.

I have a Vortex PST 6-24 on my current .308 and it shoots 3/4 moa at 200 yards and I have hit 1000 yard shots on steel with the set up. I'm wanting to stretch out to the 1400-1600 yard range with the next rifle so thats why I am looking at 300wm for caliber since brass and components are more available that some of the other LR calibers. I can get the Mark 4 ER/T 6.5-20X50mm or the Mark 8 for a pretty good LE price so I'm leaning toward that direction right now.