• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice on optic

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    Hey all,

Just hoping for some first hand experience. I'm stuck between a 5-25 strike eagle (really like the price) or a used Bushnell DMR 2 G3 for ($725) or do I just go and get a Gen 2 pst for $1000?

Budget is $1000 max. The lower I can stay the better. Mounted on a Rem700P. Have access to 1300 yard steel target range.

I've read the reviews and like the strike eagle for the price. I've also heard the gen 2 PST glass is better and if I don't need the elevation adjustment to go with the PST over the strike eagle.

Then I see a used Bushnell DMR 2 G3 in the px for a good price. Is the bushnell glass going to be better? Looks to have 30 mils of adjustment too.

Also uses are for banging steel, prs, and I actually enjoy ranging targets with the reticle. Must be mil/mil reticle and turrets.

Thanks

Last edited:
    I've missed a few used Gen2 PST's in the PX. I've got the funds set aside now. So most likely the first one that pops up I'll nab.

Vote for the used DMR2, assuming you don't want more than 21X. I had one on my 7005R, solid scope.

*edit: yes, the glass is better than everything else you're considering IMHO.

Reactions: camocorvette
    Hey all,

Just hoping for some first hand experience. I'm stuck between a 5-25 strike eagle (really like the price) or a used Bushnell DMR 2 G3 for ($725) or do I just go and get a Gen 2 pst for $1000?

Budget is $1000 max. The lower I can stay the better. Mounted on a Rem700P. Have access to 1300 yard steel target range.

I've read the reviews and like the strike eagle for the price. I've also heard the gen 2 PST glass is better and if I don't need the elevation adjustment to go with the PST over the strike eagle.

Then I see a used Bushnell DMR 2 G3 in the px for a good price. Is the bushnell glass going to be better? Looks to have 30 mils of adjustment too.

Also uses are for banging steel, prs, and I actually enjoy ranging targets with the reticle. Must be mil/mil reticle and turrets.

Thanks

We have some options under $1,000 including the PST :)

@CSTactical your who I was gonna go with for the strike eagle. Lots of really good advice. Thank you all. I'd like to go for the higher mag as I shoot lots of paper groups too. So it's nice to crank on the magnification.

• Love
    Reactions: CSTactical
    So given the choice of the bushnell 3.5-21 for $725 or a Gen 2 pst 5-25 for $700. Would you guys say go with better glass, or a tad more magnification?

I think I'm leaning towards the bushnell. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one.

So given the choice of the bushnell 3.5-21 for $725 or a Gen 2 pst 5-25 for $700. Would you guys say go with better glass, or a tad more magnification?

I think I'm leaning towards the bushnell. I'm sure I'd be happy with either one.
    Bushnell for me, and I’ve owned both.

Potentially deer, coyote and varmint. Live on a farm with lots of prairie land. I do find my self shooting towards the end of the day in diminishing light. That's why I'm thinking I may want the illumination

Potentially deer, coyote and varmint. Live on a farm with lots of prairie land. I do find my self shooting towards the end of the day in diminishing light. That's why I'm thinking I may want the illumination
    I definitely want illumination in all my hunting scopes, but I hunt in a deciduous forest in Michigan so it can get dark quick.

Bushnell dmr 2 for sure over the Vortex. Illumination is nice when you need and if you need it better get it now and not wish you had it. I've had several scopes with it and forget to use it haha

What reticle do you like? That's a big deal for me. I wouldn't get a scope without illumination these days, but that's just me. The PST is very hard to beat for the money imo. Tracks well, awesome reticle options, good illumination, good glass.

I specifically went for the DMR II without illumination because the reticle is slightly thinner for long-range target shooting. There are DMR IIs with illumination, but they might be hard to find.

If you feel you need illumination, the Vortex 3-15x is $600 at EuroOptic and has illumination.

I'd prefer the finer optic for more precision. Just sent the guy a pm on the bushnell.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Next Q is G3 or H59! G3 is thicker, but still fine for a hybrid hunting and target ret IMHO. Both in the PX if not sold yet.