• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on Remington 700 .308 and scope combo

g8r777

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
I am looking to get in to long range shooting and hunting.

I have pretty much decided on a Remington 700 .308 as the rifle but haven't decided on the specific model yet.

My goal is to stay around $1,500 - $1,750 to begin with. I have connections to a gun store and can pick up the rifle for a little over dealer cost.

I am considering the XTR Tactical Long Range with a Nikon M-308 scope.

I am looking for opinions on this combo or suggestions for a combo with a cheaper rifle and better glass.

Thoughts?

Brian

Re: Advice on Remington 700 .308 and scope combo

A 700P and a Vortex Viper would be a good combo and would fit well in your budget. Can't go wrong with either of them.

Remington 700 AAC from Buds - $620
Vortex PST 6-24x56 - $950
Weaver 20 moa base made for Remington (Amazon.com)- $25
Vortex rings - $119
or
Burris XTR rings - $50
Muzzle brake - $40 from RWS here on the hide

$1754
or
$1685

I see lots of mention of the 700P.

My understanding is that this is a law enforcement model. Can any Remington dealer get one and are they allowed to sell them to civilians?

I'll agree with montgomery, 700P and a Viper would set you pretty straight.

My set up at the beginning was just a Remmy 700 AAC with an AAC BRAKEOUT! comp, Bushnell 3-9x50 in Weaver Steel Rings on a NF 20moa base and a Choate tactical stock.

This put me around the $1400-1500 mark and i'm shooting sub MOA @ 100 yards every range trip. The scope held really well, stock feels good and recoil is super mangeable. Unfortunately shooting LONG ditance around here is impossible so i can't tell you about the long distance accuracy but out to 200 yards i'm more than impressed.

Since i built it back in december, all i've reall changed is the scope to a more powerful Weaver 4-20x50 Tactical and Seekins LOW rings.

I'm incredibly happy with the accuracy out of a "budget" build like this for my first ever precision/long distance build

Not sure if all of the Remington Dealer can get them but, a lot of them around here can. Yes, they can sell them to civilians. I bought a 700P in 300 WM yesterday at a local shop and paid $1048 out the door for it.

I was in a similar situation earlier this month; you might want to check out the thread I made on the same subject: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3331820&page=1

My recommendation:

If you want the heavier varmint style (longer, heavier barrel), get the Rem 700 SPS Varmint and upgrade from there. The 700P would work as well; the only difference is that the 700P comes with a HS Precision stock instead of the factory plastic stock. I chose the Varmint so I could spend more on my glass, with the idea to upgrade the stock once I had more trigger time. The 5R would also be a great choice, but on the higher end at around $1050. It comes in a HS Precision stock similar to the 700P's, but the barrel is a 5R 1:11.25" twist instead of traditional four-groove barrel, with a 1:12" twist.

Edit: Yes, you can get the 700P and 5R even though they are from Remington's LE arms division. They are sold to certain dealers, and you can get them from those vendors. I would go to Bud's Gun Shop online to get the best price.

If you want a lighter tactical style barrel/rig, I would recommend AGAINST the Tactical Long Range mostly because of the price tag. If you are just starting out, get a starter end rifle and then upgrade it after some time figuring out what you like and want. My recommendation for the tactical style would be the Varmint Tactical (VTR) or the SPS Tactical, depending mostly on what length barrel and what barrel contour you want.

In terms of glass... I go over it a lot on my thread. I end up with the Falcon Menace 4-14x44 FFP mil/mil from a SH member at $315, but the Millet TRS would be great, or a good Nikon Buckmaster or a SWFA SS in the magnification power of your choice. Don't skimp on the glass!

Edit2: I just saw this on the Firearms For Sale forum here on SH (you definitely should check the FS forum out daily/hourly!), and I thought you might like to take a look: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3329170&gonew=1#top

I agree that the police model is what you need. I would go ahead and get the HS Precision stock. If you want to upgrade later you can sell it. I would go with vortex, burris, and weaver all make great glass for the money. I would research the models and features and go from there. The Nikon is great too but you can't find turrets on Nikons. I think the Weaver has some of the best repeatable turrets.

The only thing I would say dofferent from the above post is I would not spend that much on rings for a beginner. I think that the Burris three screw tacticals and good for the money and also the leupold PRW rings.

When I first got into long range, I went through the same indecision. Now, a Remington and a couple of semi custom rifles later, this is what I've found.

First, a Remington is a Remington. The prices vary widely, but in the end, you still have a stock Remington. Yes, some have better finishes. Some have longer barrels with faster twists. Some come with better stocks. Still, guys buy these more expensive models just to spend the $600 or so later to upgrade the barrel.

My advise is to get shooting. I think the best way to do this is to get some flavor of SPS and spend the rest of it on glass. If you get the right glass the first time, you won't have to upgrade later.

i went through the same decision a few months back. was looking for something to get started in long range shooting.

i endedup with the 700P for a couple reasons. i like the HS stock, and don't care for the B&C stocks that would've kept the sps in the same price range. i also prefer the park'd finish even though it may eventually get cerakoted. i found the 700P for about the same price that the sps with the b&c stock would've cost.

for glass i went with a 4-16 vortex viper pst. sometimes i think maybe i should've gone with the 6-24, but the reality is that the 4-16 has done everything i've asked it to do thus far. and i'll likely upgrade to better glass for this rifle and put the viper on a cz 455 varmint .22.

i'm using a badger 20 moa base and seekins precision rings, with a harris bi-pod up front. i've very happy with everything so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first got into long range, I went through the same indecision. Now, a Remington and a couple of semi custom rifles later, this is what I've found.

First, a Remington is a Remington. The prices vary widely, but in the end, you still have a stock Remington. Yes, some have better finishes. Some have longer barrels with faster twists. Some come with better stocks. Still, guys buy these more expensive models just to spend the $600 or so later to upgrade the barrel.

My advise is to get shooting. I think the best way to do this is to get some flavor of SPS and spend the rest of it on glass. If you get the right glass the first time, you won't have to upgrade later.</div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: g8r777</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking to get in to long range shooting and hunting.

I have pretty much decided on a Remington 700 .308 as the rifle but haven't decided on the specific model yet.

My goal is to stay around $1,500 - $1,750 to begin with. I have connections to a gun store and can pick up the rifle for a little over dealer cost.

I am considering the XTR Tactical Long Range with a Nikon M-308 scope.

I am looking for opinions on this combo or suggestions for a combo with a cheaper rifle and better glass.

Thoughts?

Brian </div></div>

a very straight forward solution to your quest is this.

Remington 700 5R "Mil-spec"
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml
Remington 700 5R @ Google Shopping

Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X Mil/Mil riflescope $199.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950843/...t-reticle-matte

A 20 MOA Picatinny rail.
EGW $43.99 - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147376/...rt-action-matte
Nightforce $114.00 - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/859301/...rt-action-matte
Badger Ordnance $139.99 - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/562717/...00-short-action

1 inch scope rings for your Picatinny rail.
Burris 1" Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Low $53.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/116860/burris-1-xtreme-tactical-picatinny-style-rings-matte-low
- or -
Leupold 1" Mark 4 Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Medium $152.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/987843/leupold-1-mark-4-picatinny-style-rings-matte-medium

You will essentially end up with a rifle equivalent to what military and police snipers have used for decades. A .308 Winchester with a heavy, hammer forged barrel. A 20 MOA Picatinny rail with low or medium rings and a fixed 10 power scope. In this case, a 10 power mil-dot/mil knobs scope. It's a straight forward, guarenteed solution and an excellent place to start in this long range precision shooting sport.