• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on spotting scopes

Big joe

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
I'm looking for advice on spotting scope size. I'm planning on shooting a 1000 yards what size spotting scope would you recommend? Eventually i would like to try to shoot a mile but that not something that will happen often at all. Obviously ill be shooting steel not paper just looking for some advice on this before i buy something thats not gonna work. Locally no one sells any spotting scopes or i guess i should say of any quality.

What i have been looking at is the Bushnell Tactical 15-40x60 nad the vortex diamond back HD 20-60x85. I know these aren't high dollar. Im just getting started in the long range shooting. So just bought begara HMR rifle and a viper gen 2 scope and quality rings and bases. So was looking for something on cheaper, also i want to make sure that this is something that im going to get into and not sit in safe like everything else i own.

This might be something to consider. A few cheap tripods to mount and your set. After using these, I don't use a scope much.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Legend T discussion

Of the two you listed, I’ve used the Bushnell and I currently have the Diamondback.

Both will be fine, but I think the clarity is better on the Vortex. If your set on the reticle then it’s not much of a discussion. However on a budget I’d say get the Vortex.

I concur on the vortex. I will say buy once cry once. The vortex razor is phenomenal, I got mine on a sale last year around this time. If you buy a cheaper one now, then upgrade in a couple of years you have paid way more in the long run.

I just don't like gray color vortex razor, dark green is cool. why vortex doesn't sticky with the original color?

I’m pretty happy with the bushy legend T
I’ve observed hits and misses at well beyond a mile.
Glass is decent and the reticle is awesome.
Glass looks better obviously through the eye than in this video with camera.

a week ago i went to cabela's intent on buying a Swaro (swaroviski) 20-60x65. My brother , the salesman and I took 3 spotting scopes outside and spent nearly an hour looking thru them side x side on a tripod. The first was a votex viper i believe in 20-60x65. It was discarded in the evaluation almost immediately. The Swaro 20-60x65 and the Vortex Razor 27-60-85 were the two that we went back and forth on. Like i said, nearly and hour later, i took home the vortex. I am not a vortex fan at all. I only own 1 vortex scope and i'm not impressed with it. BUT, after comparing the 65 alongside the 85 , ranging from 300 to 500 yds, there was no noticeable difference. That 85 lets in a ton of light. Price wise there was $700 difference, but that was not the determining factor as i had went up there on the pretext of purchasing the more expensive swaro to begin with. I have looked thru the swaro in 85 and it's unbelievable. But i can't justify spending $3000 on a spotter. My range shooting off my deck is 400 yds and the Vortex is working well

Leupold 12x40x60 Mk4 @ 1000yds

Screenshot_20201205-232012_GalleryR.jpg

KOWA 25x60x88 at 1 mile

Screenshot_20201205-231907_Video PlayerR.jpg

Neither are inexpensive but either would be a good investment and definitely not a safe queen.

Agreed, I have a Mk4 with a TMR that I really like. I’ve only looked through a Kowa a few times but I’d like to try one more.

But in the end Big Joe asked for something cheaper. Cheaper in spotting scopes is hard to determine without a $ figure he’s willing to spend. But since he mentioned the Bushnell and the Vortex Diamondback in guessing he’s looking in the $400 range.

We’re good at spending people’s money here, it’s fun. @Big joe. Is this more or less correct?

1. Has an apparent budget of $400

2. Asks about the Bushnell Legend and the Vortex Diamondback.

3. Wants it to be usable to 1k and maybe more.

4. Apparently is not sure if he wants a reticle.

Really it seems he wants the best spotting scope he can get for around $400. I think he’s be good with either, but the Vortex has better glass, IMO.

Is there something better than either of those for $400?

Reactions: Big joe
@opeagle thanks. Yeah 400-500 is my price range right now. Due to purchasing gun scope and being off work due to having fusion neck surgery. And being off work. If I was working I’d be willing to buying some better

I have a vortex viper HD 20-60x85 and like it a lot. Here is some pictures of 1000 yards and a mile, easy to spot misses at those ranges. These are frames from a 1080p video, so they are not as clear as they could be.

Edit: I see this is a bit out of your price range. you might find it on sale for close to that, but the diamondback would also be a solid option.

Attachments

• 1 mile.jpg
    1 mile.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 1000 yards.jpg
    1000 yards.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
If that’s the case, decide if you want a reticle or not and buy that one. You cannot really go wrong with either. There will always be something better but for that budget those are solid contenders.

@opeagle thanks. Yeah 400-500 is my price range right now. Due to purchasing gun scope and being off work due to having fusion neck surgery. And being off work. If I was working I’d be willing to buying some better

Ok, since we are on the subject do you guys recommend a recticle or not and why

If you have someone that is spotting for you, a reticle is a very nice to have to give correction calls in the same units. If you are spotting your misses as the shooter and just have an observer, no need for it. Sometimes you also loose the zoom capability of the spotting scope so the reticle increments stay correct. I do not have one because I use my spotting scope for viewing mainly, and any calls are just given relative to the target (1/2 a target to the right, 1/4 low ect.).

Reactions: Big joe
a week ago i went to cabela's intent on buying a Swaro (swaroviski) 20-60x65. My brother , the salesman and I took 3 spotting scopes outside and spent nearly an hour looking thru them side x side on a tripod. The first was a votex viper i believe in 20-60x65. It was discarded in the evaluation almost immediately. The Swaro 20-60x65 and the Vortex Razor 27-60-85 were the two that we went back and forth on. Like i said, nearly and hour later, i took home the vortex. I am not a vortex fan at all. I only own 1 vortex scope and i'm not impressed with it. BUT, after comparing the 65 alongside the 85 , ranging from 300 to 500 yds, there was no noticeable difference. That 85 lets in a ton of light. Price wise there was $700 difference, but that was not the determining factor as i had went up there on the pretext of purchasing the more expensive swaro to begin with. I have looked thru the swaro in 85 and it's unbelievable. But i can't justify spending $3000 on a spotter. My range shooting off my deck is 400 yds and the Vortex is working well

Don't mean to derail the thread, where is the razor 27-60 made? Is there label that says on the scope?

My experience with a Forge 15-40 (I believe) was that after about 28x or so the rest of mag clarity was significantly degraded and practically unusable at any distance 1000 out. Great up to that point though. Especially for $400-500 range they can be found at. Best around 22x. Had a Mil reticle and was fine to 1000. Not sure about a mile.

Honestly you do not “need” it. Most of them don’t have a reticle.

Now, for certain things it’s quite useful. Until you get much further into this, or frankly start shooting in a shooter / spotter pair it’s not needed. Even then I’ve done it without the reticle.