• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes advice on Steiner 4X-16X-50mm or keep my nightforce

athanasios23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2009
New York, USA
I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise and hands on experience on the steiner scope. I currently have a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 on my GAP 260Rem. I was considering a ffp scope and selling the nightforce. I came across the steiner at great price and was not sure if I would be getting a comparable scope in terms of glass clarity and overall quality. I would really love to try out the new vortex razors but im not looking to spend cash right now. I think I can break even or even make some cash back from the sale of the nightforce(mounted and put in the safe) and purchase of steiner and new 34mm rings.

also how would you compare it to gen I vortex razor. they have been popping up a lot on for sale thread.

my plans are to shoot the rifle out to 1000 yards.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in right direction here

-Tommy

Last edited:
I shot a 4-16 for two years, it is a little long, but a great scope for the money I have seen them selling for lately. Glass, warranty, and quality is above NF.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

The Steiner is better than the NF in every way.
Well, the 4-16x is a little long.
I'm looking forward to the US made Steiner T5Xi that is on the way.

I have a Steiner 4 -16 X 50 MM on an AX AT and Nightforce 5.5 - 22 X 50 MM on a TRG-22. The Steiner glass is better and the overall quality of the Steiner seems every bit as good as the Nightforce.

The Steiner scopes are very good scopes. I really like the Nightforce scopes and they have been proven to be rock solid. Steiner has stopped making the 4-16x there is the NEW 3-15x and their new USA made scopes look very good also.

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise and hands on experience on the steiner scope. I currently have a nightforce nxs 5.5-22x56 on my GAP 260Rem. I was considering a ffp scope and selling the nightforce. I came across the steiner at great price and was not sure if I would be getting a comparable scope in terms of glass clarity and overall quality. I would really love to try out the new vortex razors but im not looking to spend cash right now. I think I can break even or even make some cash back from the sale of the nightforce(mounted and put in the safe) and purchase of steiner and new 34mm rings.

also how would you compare it to gen I vortex razor. they have been popping up a lot on for sale thread.

my plans are to shoot the rifle out to 1000 yards.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in right direction here

-Tommy

The Steiner bones the NF in the ass! Glass is way better, tracking is equal, and lots of vertical travel so you can get way out there. Steiner and don't look back.

Another vote for Steiner, I just switched over and wished I would have sooner. Glass is hands down better then NF NXS line and more on par with the NF ATACR.

Reactions: Flyfishingone
Thanks for all your input guys. Just ordered the steiner scope about 40 mins ago. Now I need new rings but my plan on selling the nightforce is at a stand still. Think im going to keep it and throw my vortex viper pst up for sale.

Just wanted to stay thanks to eurooptic. Ordered the scope yesterday and FedEx was at my door at 1pm today. Too bad I was at the range. Stopped and picked it up as I couldn't wait another day to get my hands on it. Scope is definitely big but looks like very good quality and is very clear. I'm happy I went with the Steiner.

I have the 3-12x56mm model. I picked it up when there was a clearance going on and got it for a very good price. Our local range maxes out at 600 yards, so the 12x is more than adequate for what I'm doing with my Savage .308. I absolutely love their spin on the mil-dot reticle and the glass is better than anything I've ever owned. Be prepared, next to a 30mm scope this thing is a beast. I like the turrets and tracking is spot on. My only gripe, and something I was trying to get remedied from the Steiner rep here on the hide, is that my turret doesn't sit on zero when its bottomed out on the zero stop. The rep said that he'd send me some replacement turrets, but I've never seen them. I guess I have to call Steiner's customer service directly instead.

If it doesn't set on zero, you should be able to correct that by loosening the turret screws, set in zero and retighten.

If it doesn't set on zero, you should be able to correct that by loosening the turret screws, set in zero and retighten.

Nope. Sits 1/3rd to 1/2 of a tenth of a mil off when bottomed out on the zero stop. Not a huge deal, but an annoyance when you're dialing in dope and its sitting halfway between 2.5 and 2.6. Steiner rep was replying to some other posts regarding issues with the scopes and offering help to remedy their issues. I contacted him and he said I needed new turrets and asked for my shipping info. Provided him my address so they could head my way, but haven't heard back from him after a few months of unanswered private messages. I had heard that maybe Steiner wanted folks with issues to get fixes through customer service and maybe not this guy. I guess that makes sense, but I'd rather he just pointed me in that direction in the first place than to leave me hanging for the past couple of months. I'll contact Steiner direct and see what they say.

For a visual, if you watch Tiborasaurus Rex's review on Youtube you can see that his scope (same exact model) does the same thing. He responds as follows about it. I don't think it's me and "operator error".

From Youtube:

Michael Vasovski8 months ago (edited)

I noticed that your zero stop parks about 0.05 of a mil ahead of the zero mark. My 4-16 does the same thing. When I take it to the first 0.1 mark, it definitely feels like a half click. Does your wife's do the same thing? And if so, does it bother you/her? Do you think it would affect long range accuracy? Cheers!

TiborasaurusRex

8 months ago

Nope. As long as it sits in its spot consistently, it should work fine. I think it is like this because of exactly where the allen screws where tightened down on the inner turret drum... readjustment of the screws could straighten this out if it is a bother. As for me, not a big problem. I can see which 'click' its indexed to w/o a problem. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzx3DscRvwo

You are going to be a happy man if your used to running a NSX (I've bought and sold an F1 and 2 standard NXS) The Steiner Military is a million percent better value especially because EuroOptic is blowing them out for under $1300!!!!

FFP 34 mm excellent turrets Simple zero stop rugged as hell and from my experience the best glass I have ever looked thru. I own 2 of the 4-16s and I am absolutely blown away with them every time I take them out.

IMO there is nothing a $3500 S&B or TT can do that these Steiners (old or new) won't.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you get your 4-16 out to the range and compare like I did.

Just received mine today...I'm really impressed with it. Im considering canceling my Vortex II 4-27 and getting the new Steiner 5-25...

Just received mine today...I'm really impressed with it. Im considering canceling my Vortex II 4-27 and getting the new Steiner 5-25...

Can't go wrong with the 5-25 steiner. I have had 2 25x and both solid. That said the 16x has the best glass of the Steiner line up. The Vortex is gonna have more vertical adjustment than the Steiner 25.