• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice Please

pahoben

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2010
TX, USA
I have a new 5-25 S&B scope but really do not have a gun to mount it on that will do it justice. I was thinking about a GAP 300 WM or a TG42 and I want to shoot suppressed for elk, bench, and maybe hogs. Anyone have thoughts on the right gun?

I assume the 300 wm would be a better choice than a good 308 but any thoughts appreciated.

Sorry if I asked this on the wrong thread previously.

Re: Advice Please

The best option is to send me the scope for a good home, as I have plenty rifles that could use it
grin.gif

But really, both rifles you mention are great, and kudos to you for having that kinda budget. either one would be great, the caliber is the question. The 300wm would be better than the .308 IF, you are shooting beyond the 6-700 yd line. if not then the 308 will do you fine.

Thanks-my wife will tell you I do not have that kind of budget. lol

Thanks for the response.

Tell you what, I live in TX and have a GAP 300 on its way to me on top of a Kimber AT 300. You just send it to me and every now and then when you feel like shootin I will meet you at the range and you can visit your optics. That way I dont have to pay $2500 for a scope and you dont have to pay $2500+ for a gun. Sounds like win on both sides.

I would put it on a really good .308 for which ammo is relatively cheap and plentiful.

Use the $ you save to shoot it a lot and when your skills are really honed, you can move the scope to any one of a number of 'specialty' calibers such as 300 WinMag, .338, etc.

You can get an outstanding .308 and a lot of ammo for the same price as a 'middling' .338/.300 and a lot fewer rounds.

Cheers,

Sirhr