• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advice Request - Howa M 1500 and IOR 6 - 24 x 50 IL

mr223a1

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2013
Hello,
this is my first post here, though I've been reading this forum for some time. I'm new to bolt action rifle precision shooting and I would like to ask for advice. I need to mount IOR 6 - 24 x 50 IL scope on Howa M 1500 rifle. After some research, I figured out that Spuhr mounts are the way to go, so I contacted Mr. Spuhr directly with some questions. He was very helpful, but stated that their SP5002 and SP5602 mounts may be a bit high for this configuration. They don't offer direct mounting options for Howa, so I would have to mount a picatinny rail first. I have not chosen any rail yet and I'm out of ideas now. Any advice will be very helpful. Thanks!

howa's take the same bases are a Remington 700's
I have a 20 moa on my 243 sence it was layen around works great

howa's take the same bases are a Remington 700's
I have a 20 moa on my 243 sence it was layen around works great

Thank you for the response. Could you name the manufacturer of your base? What scope and mount do you use?

Be careful. I have the 2013 Howa 1500 20 inch heavy barrel with hact trigger. Use a straight edge to check the receiver height front to rear. I used Leupold dovetail mounts on mine because it needs Weatherby vanguard mounts. The front of the receiver is thicker than the rear and the front mount needs to be .032" thinner. The national sporting goods where I purchased my Howa and a Nikon scope used Remington 700 mounts they thought were correct. I couldn't zero the rifle. No two shots went to the same place on the target. When I removed the scope I found the front ring was higher than the rear, bending the scope tube. The Vanguard mounts were flat. I measured the new vanguard mounts and found the front was .032" thinner. With the new vanguard mounts I zero'd the rifle and have a sub moa combination. I have heard that the 2013 Howa is different than the previous models.

Thanks for the warning. Howa in question is definitely not a 2013 model, as it was bought last year. However, I'll check the receiver height just to be sure. I intended to use one piece mount, preferably Spuhr, but now I'm afraid it will sit to high. Do you need to use an adjustable cheekpiece on yours? Could you post a picture of your configuration?

Dsc_0282 small.jpg
Thanks for the warning. Howa in question is definitely not a 2013 model, as it was bought last year. However, I'll check the receiver height just to be sure. I intended to use one piece mount, preferably Spuhr, but now I'm afraid it will sit to high. Do you need to use an adjustable cheekpiece on yours? Could you post a picture of your configuration?

I don't use an adjustable cheekpiece. The scope is at the perfect hight for me and my son. The rings are leupold 30mm standard dovetail High.

Howa does NOT use the same base in all cases.

They use the same TWO PIECE bases, but the action is a different length.
The one piece bases ARE DIFFERENT.

I have a .308 Howa 1500, last years Varminter Model. The rifle came with a flat base but I later needed an MOA base for longer shooting. I had a similar dilemma in not knowing what to buy. I found the answers, inexpensive compared to most others, at EGW. They carry a full line of bases for the Howa 1500 and Weatherby Vanguard actions. FYI, the two are the same action. Do not listen to all that tell you a Remy rail will fit a Howa 1500. Some will not and you don't want to buy twice. Google "EGW" (Evolution Gun Works) and once on their site just type Howa 1500 into the search window.

A flat rail is cheaper there that if you bought the same one from a re-seller. Great mounts, fit perfectly, easy to install, AND they include the mounting screws with their products. You don't have to chase new ones a different length from some gun shop. Your choice, aluminum or steel. The aluminum works just fine.

Oh, if you rifle is like mine, you have a very good rifle and quite accurate if you shoot it well.

Yes agree depending on the stock the Sp5002 and SP5602 will likely be very high. And the lower SP5001 and SP5601 can be used to but a relief cut has to made in the mount.
Really annoying as I contacted IOR prior to production Of 35mm mounts to make sure they fitted and I only got very stupid arrogant reply from them that I didnt need any drawing Of their scopes as they look just like any other scope on the market....
So i figure they make difficult scopes to prevent people from using other rings than their own:(

Long action M700 rails will work on long action Howa 1500s, but the short action is another story. My solution was as suggested by Mayhem - go with rails from EGW.

I've built a couple of rifles on Howa 1500s - both long & short - and they're pretty darned good out of the box. I went ahead & trued mine after spending the time dialing them in using a homemade copy of the GreTan action truing fixture, but it really wan't necessary - the receiver faces on both were out by no more than .0015", lug seats were good, and when I single-pointed the tenon threads, they were so close to right that I felt like I'd wasted my time.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to help, thank you very much. I think I'll go with EGW.

And the lower SP5001 and SP5601 can be used to but a relief cut has to made in the mount.
Is it possible that I order one of those mounts with a relief cut already made by you?

Last edited: