• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Advise for 338

Oneeye60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2018
Missouri
I am fresh to long range shooting. I am having a 338 Lapua Magnum built on a ESS chassis from MDT. Doing some research, it sounds like the scope needs to be able to handle the power I assume of the rifle. My other concern is I can only see out of the center of my right eye. So I think I want a illuminated reticle and crosshairs I can see. I guess kids of light good readable crosshairs. Thank u

S&B PM2 with a P4L reticle. Simple and the illuminated section of the crosshairs is easy to use in lower light, but you’ll need to dial. I have one and like it.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
My AWSM has a S&B PM II 12-50. Only thing I might think about doing differently is second focal plane so the reticle doesn’t cover so much area on long distance targets. I think once you get to a certain distance a range finder has to be used and second focal plane becomes more advantageous. Sure others will say I’m wrong.

My AWSM has a S&B PM II 12-50. Only thing I might think about doing differently is second focal plane so the reticle doesn’t cover so much area on long distance targets. I think once you get to a certain distance a range finder has to be used and second focal plane becomes more advantageous. Sure others will say I’m wrong.
I am so confused is there a book or a video or a online class you can take about long range shooting and scope terminology.

I am so confused is there a book or a video or a online class you can take about long range shooting and scope terminology.

He's most likely referencing 1,300+ yards where 2nd focal plane becomes advantageous staying thin enough for small targets.

He's most likely referencing 1,300+ yards where 2nd focal plane becomes advantageous staying thin enough for small targets.

Yes very much so but I may have misunderstood OPs meaning of having a scope capable of handling the power of the gun. He may have meant physical capabilities when at first I thought he meant to utilize the long distance capability of the 338.

I hope you are used to heavy recoiling rifles, cos a .338 aint no starters rifle, thats for sure.
It takes good basics and skill to handle a magnum rifle. You might be in for a frustrating ride.

OP, you need to give us some idea of your level of experience. What's the furthest distance you are confident shooting at? What is the heaviest caliber you are confident with? What optics are you currently using? What ballistic solvers are you familiar with? The more info. you give these guys the better able they will be to send you in a positive direction.

Here is a simple primer on terms and functions of a riflescope https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopic_sight