• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

aranagabriel1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2023
Florida
Hi all, I just came back from a hunting trip in Spain for the Beceite and Southeastern Ibexes, and I’m not satisfied with the performance of the Berger 205 EH and the 175 EH on my 300PRC and 7PRC. Both of my rifles have 22” barrels and feature twist rates of 9.5 and 8, respectively.

Although I bagged the two animals I shot at and hit them perfectly in the “kill zone,” one shot was from 385 yards and the other from 600 yards. However, the bullets seemed to just pass through the animals without causing sufficient damage to stop them in their tracks. They ran about 300-400 yards, and the outfitter there told me it was because these bullets are very hard and don’t expand well. He said they are good for matches, but for hunting, I need a soft tip to inflict more damage. Both animals shouldn’t have run more than 10-20 yards.

Any comments or advice on what to use or change?

I tried Hornady ammo, but at the bench, the Bergers grouped much better and had much better numbers on MV, SD, and ED, so that’s why I chose them over Hornady.

I’m not a reloader, but I would be willing to hire someone to help me develop the correct and most efficient round for my rifles.

Last edited:
ELD-X 212’s are pretty devastating.

Did you try the 178 and 200 as well?

Get a “Load Development” pack from Copper Creek

Berger bullets are anything but hard especially in the elite hunter as those jackets are thinner than the match bullets. I hunt with Berger OTMs and have not had a an animal walk more than a few steps even a Kodiak Brown bear was one and done with a 300gr OTM out of my 338.

Reactions: sakoguy21
What NICETRY said. I've used 130, 140, 168 and 215 Bergers on deer, elk and blackies and it has been DRT on dozens of critters.