• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advise on Scope up to 2400 yds

Butleroutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2014
Looking at a new rifle & scope to push to 2400 yds. I am currently using a Bergara 6.5CM with a Vortex PST G2 5x25 FFP This scope works fine up to about 1400 yards but at a mile and more very difficult to see the target….blurred, not much light, etc.

I am looking for feedback on:

1. What zoom are you using from a mile to 2400 yds (I know this may be more driven by the caliber, but trying to understand if I really need 25x. I am using 18x at 2000 yds so that I have enough stata lines)

2. I read many of the posts in the optics section, but many times it is unclear what distance the scopes optics quality is being compared at. I’m specifically asking about optics quality past 1mi to 2400 yards

A. How do the Tier 2 scopes (Toric, mk5hd, Razor g2, XTR3, Cronus G2, etc) perform clairity & brightness & sharpeners at 2400 yds?

B.Does one need to buy a Tier 1 (TT, ZCO, SB) Or tier 1A (ATCAR, Kahles, Minox) scope to shoot 2400 yds

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
while I have no idea what your target will look like at that range my only thoughts are if you would have the elevation need to get out there seeing wise Id am planning on going this rout

my adjust able scope base will provide all the elevation I might need and the scope the rest the cam allowing me to see the actual impacts or if I miss I hope the scope can cover it but i won't know till I get the chance to try it but spending 3k just to try it I will not be doing no thanks . Best of luck which ever solution you decide to use send pics I can only imagine how neat it would be to shoot that far out at least till I get to go to the holy land of Kansas lol.

Your biggest problem is not you scope its the caliber and cartridge choice. If you have a scope now that will get you to 2400 yards with a creed having enough travel . Then spend that money on a better platform for the price of a better scope you could buy a remington 700 chambered in 338 lapua.

while I have no idea what your target will look like at that range my only thoughts are if you would have the elevation need to get out there seeing wise Id am planning on going this rout

my adjust able scope base will provide all the elevation I might need and the scope the rest the cam allowing me to see the actual impacts or if I miss I hope the scope can cover it but i won't know till I get the chance to try it but spending 3k just to try it I will not be doing no thanks . Best of luck which ever solution you decide to use send pics I can only imagine how neat it would be to shoot that far out at least till I get to go to the holy land of Kansas lol.

Thank you for your response. Yes, Kansas is good for ELR, I believe there are at least two ranges in the state that are open to the public for nominal fee. We goto Spearpoint Ranch twice a year to stretch our abilities. Steve, the is a great guy.
I am very fortunate and thankful to have access to a private range as well that we can go out to 1300yds.

Any decent scope at the razor 2 level and above are GTG

40-45 moa rail is advised or an adjustable mount.

I used a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x56 on the 2010 yard target at Spearpoint with my 300 WM. It’s on a 40 MOA base. It has plenty of elevation, 110 MOA, and good optics. Going to move it over to my PRC when it’s done.

All of those are a substantial step up from a PST.
I’m able to see most impacts past 3000 with my Cronus or my friends razor or atacr.

Thank you for your response. Yes, Kansas is good for ELR, I believe there are at least two ranges in the state that are open to the public for nominal fee. We goto Spearpoint Ranch twice a year to stretch our abilities. Steve, the is a great guy.
I am very fortunate and thankful to have access to a private range as well that we can go out to 1300yds.
North of Murdock?