• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AE MKII or DTA SRS or TRG-22

Jeeprider

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 26, 2010
PA
Looking to purchase a high end .308 bolt gun for some precision shooting and maybe some varmint hunting. I'm undecided between the AICS AE MKII, Desert Tactical SRS .308 or a Sako TRG-22. I like the Sako least, but the price is lower than the AE and DTA. So out of the three which rifle will have the most inherent accuracy straight out of the box? That's really the most important thing to me. Planning on using a NF NXS 5.5-22 x50 NP-R1 scope.

Re: AE MKII or DTA SRS or TRG-22

Unless your planning on barrel swaps...I'd rule out the DTA. Its by far the most expensive of the 3.

I'd go with the AE or TRG......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the AIAEmkII pretty easy to change the barrel on?

I pretty much have settled on saving my pennies for one of those. </div></div>

You need the tool, a vice, and big torque wrench. On the DTA you just need a seekonks toque wrench.

I'm just saying though, unless you want a Bullpup, and plan on swapping barrels like no tomorrow....then get the DTA. Otherwise...your paying alot of money for features you'll probably never use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless your planning on barrel swaps...I'd rule out the DTA. Its by far the most expensive of the 3.

I'd go with the AE or TRG...... </div></div>

+1

I have never shot the DTA, but it has some nice features and I probably will have one at some point.

I have both an AIAW and a TRG-22. The AW is close enough to an AE in terms of features that it is interchangeable for the purpose of this review. Both are excellent weapon systems, and you will be served well by either. If you don't like the TRG for some reason, I wouldn't buy it based on the price alone. I have to ask- what is it you didn't like about it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: COURAGEWOLF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isn't the AIAEmkII pretty easy to change the barrel on?

I pretty much have settled on saving my pennies for one of those. </div></div>

You need the tool, a vice, and big torque wrench. On the DTA you just need a seekonks toque wrench.

I'm just saying though, unless you want a Bullpup, and plan on swapping barrels like no tomorrow....then get the DTA. Otherwise...your paying alot of money for features you'll probably never use. </div></div>

Yeah 1000 dollars difference in price doesn't meet the convenience price point for me there.

Well I have both the AE MKII (308) and DTA SRS...in fact I have 2 DTA SRS rifles 243 and 338. While I do like the AE if I could only have one rifle the DTA would be my choice. Both rifles work flawlessly but th DTA provides options that simply can not be had with the AE. I also put additional value on the SRS length...or lack there of when comparing barrel length.

I have owned an AI AE MKI, AI AW, DTA and TRG-22 and I will say that I find the TRG the easiest to get behind not to mention it is hell of a lot cheaper, if you don't count the accessories. They are all great guns and it really comes down to a personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned an AI AE MKI, AI AW, DTA and TRG-22 and I will say that I find the TRG the easiest to get behind not to mention it is hell of a lot cheaper, if you don't count the accessories. They are all great guns and it really comes down to a personal preference.</div></div>

The difference in price between a TRG-22 and an AE MkII evaporates if you buy even one or two spare magazines for the TRG. Buy a bipod, and there's no difference at all in price between them.

these rifles aren't hardly in the same catagories. yes they are all great tactical rifles but the stocks couldn't be anymore different. you are comparing mcmillan style trg, thumbhole aiae, and pistol grip bullpup dta. you shouldn't even consider buying one of these unless you have tried it or a stock like it. unless of course you can find one used at a really good deal so you could resell with taking a hit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned an AI AE MKI, AI AW, DTA and TRG-22 and I will say that I find the TRG the easiest to get behind not to mention it is hell of a lot cheaper, if you don't count the accessories. They are all great guns and it really comes down to a personal preference.</div></div>

The difference in price between a TRG-22 and an AE MkII evaporates if you buy even one or two spare magazines for the TRG. Buy a bipod, and there's no difference at all in price between them.</div></div>

or you just buy one of these and run AICS or Morta mags on your TRG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference in price between a TRG-22 and an AE MkII evaporates if you buy even one or two spare magazines for the TRG. Buy a bipod, and there's no difference at all in price between them. </div></div>I like you Jon, and I have both, so I certainly don't have a dog in this fight. But I have seen this math before, and it doesn't add up.

Buy 2 TRG mags at $180 = $360, but subtract out the two AE 10 round mags at $77.28 apiece (your price) and you net out with $205.44 extra.

Then buy the TRG-22 bipod for $450 (yes, you can get this price shopping around a bit) but subtract the cost of the AI/Parker Hale bipod at $357.12, and the net additional is $92.88. Yes, you can make the argument for an Atlas, but accushot also makes a pic rail adapter for the TRG, so that argument doesn't fly.

OK, so, the mags cost you $205.44 MORE and the bipod cost you $92.88 MORE, so you spent $298.32 MORE on the TRG accessories than the AE accessories. BUT you bought the TRG for $2500.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So what price are you selling the AIAE mk2 for that it is actually cheaper to own once you factor in the accessories?</span>

Just curious.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference in price between a TRG-22 and an AE MkII evaporates if you buy even one or two spare magazines for the TRG. Buy a bipod, and there's no difference at all in price between them. </div></div>I like you Jon, and I have both, so I certainly don't have a dog in this fight. But I have seen this math before, and it doesn't add up.

Buy 2 TRG mags at $180 = $360, but subtract out the two AE 10 round mags at $77.28 apiece (your price) and you net out with $205.44 extra.

Then buy the TRG-22 bipod for $450 (yes, you can get this price shopping around a bit) but subtract the cost of the AI/Parker Hale bipod at $357.12, and the net additional is $92.88. Yes, you can make the argument for an Atlas, but accushot also makes a pic rail adapter for the TRG, so that argument doesn't fly.

OK, so, the mags cost you $205.44 MORE and the bipod cost you $92.88 MORE, so you spent $298.32 MORE on the TRG accessories than the AE accessories. BUT you bought the TRG for $2500.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So what price are you selling the AIAE mk2 for that it is actually cheaper to own once you factor in the accessories?</span>

Just curious. </div></div>

Damn,can I see the F&I guy after that math display? LOL!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the TRG for some reason, I wouldn't buy it based on the price alone. I have to ask- what is it you didn't like about it?</div></div>

Just not a fan of the way it looks personally. While it's by no means a bad looking rifle I just prefer the AE MKII and the DTA SRS. I have to agree with you guys chances are I won't be switching out barrels etc. so the DTA price isn't warranted. Any consensus on out of the box accuracy between the lot? Are they all pretty much evenly matched? It would seem that way to me, but if anyone has any pertinent info...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the TRG for some reason, I wouldn't buy it based on the price alone. I have to ask- what is it you didn't like about it?</div></div>

Just not a fan of the way it looks personally. While it's by no means a bad looking rifle I just prefer the AE MKII and the DTA SRS. I have to agree with you guys chances are I won't be switching out barrels etc. so the DTA price isn't warranted. Any consensus on out of the box accuracy between the lot? Are they all pretty much evenly matched? It would seem that way to me, but if anyone has any pertinent info...</div></div>

no mention of ergonomics or how it feels just buy the pretty one they will both out shoot your abilities. you already have your mind made up just call and order the aiae better get the folder its "cooler"!!!

I think the AI AE is the rifle for you, they are a damn nice rifle as far as I am concerned, very smooth and very accurate, I just don't care for how the stock fits me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't like the TRG for some reason, I wouldn't buy it based on the price alone. I have to ask- what is it you didn't like about it?</div></div>

Just not a fan of the way it looks personally. While it's by no means a bad looking rifle I just prefer the AE MKII and the DTA SRS. I have to agree with you guys chances are I won't be switching out barrels etc. so the DTA price isn't warranted. Any consensus on out of the box accuracy between the lot? Are they all pretty much evenly matched? It would seem that way to me, but if anyone has any pertinent info... </div></div>They are all close on accuracy. I know you don't like the look of the TRG, but it has the best trigger of the bunch and it has the stock that MOST find more comfortable than the AE.

That being said, I find that it is always safer to buy the one that you like the best, otherwise you'll end up regretting your purchase. Furthermore, if you buy the AE, decide you can't get used to the ergos, you can sell it and buy the TRG. I do stuff like that all the time...

Oh boy I had a feeling someone would make a snide remark by me mentioning the looks of a rifle. As I stated already if one had more inherent accuracy out of the box I would automatically choose that one. It seems to me it's a coin toss on accuracy between the 3. As far as ergos go anyone can get proficient on any rifle if they practice enough. If my post rubs you the wrong way, why respond? Also how do you know what my abilities are? I have no beef with you, not sure what your issue is with me.... To everyone else thanks for the pertinent info.

[/quote]
no mention of ergonomics or how it feels just buy the pretty one they will both out shoot your abilities. you already have your mind made up just call and order the aiae better get the folder its "cooler"!!![/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh boy I had a feeling someone would make a snide remark by me mentioning the looks of a rifle. As I stated already if one had more inherent accuracy out of the box I would automatically choose that one. It seems to me it's a coin toss on accuracy between the 3. As far as ergos go anyone can get proficient on any rifle if they practice enough. If my post rubs you the wrong way, why respond? Also how do you know what my abilities are? I have no beef with you, not sure what your issue is with me.... To everyone else thanks for the pertinent info.
</div></div>You had to see it coming. He makes a valid point, one that perhaps you didn't see when you posted- ergonomics make a big factor in the ABILITY to shoot a rifle to it's potential. If you can't get comfortable or can't get the right position behind a rifle, you can't shoot it to its or your potential. Look through all of the posts on here about how many people haven't or won't buy an AI rifle because they "can't get it to fit them right." I am not one of those people, I own one and I like it, but it is a valid argument. I don't know if I have ever read of anyone that can't get comfortable behind a TRG-22.

camaroguy said:
Oh boy I had a feeling someone would make a snide remark by me mentioning the looks of a rifle. As I stated already if one had more inherent accuracy out of the box I would automatically choose that one. It seems to me it's a coin toss on accuracy between the 3. As far as ergos go anyone can get proficient on any rifle if they practice enough. If my post rubs you the wrong way, why respond? Also how do you know what my abilities are? I have no beef with you, not sure what your issue is with me.... To everyone else thanks for the pertinent info.

trust me after you handle them both one will like the feel of one better. i don't need to know your abilities i meant both the rifles are so accurate in field conditions both rifles will shoot fantastic.

I have no issues with you sorry if it came across wrong. what i mean is they are both top of the line tactical rifles that will shoot lights out, buy the one that fits you best. they both have 60 degree bolt throw, 2 stage match triggers, good mag systems and bipod mounts.

i own a trg 22 and have owned numerous aics stocks but just can't get used to the blocky feel of a aics stock. nothing against them they just don't fit me. so why pay $3000 for a rifle that you have to learn to love? instead of one that feels good from the start?

So I'll put this out to the op. I've owned a DTA for over a year, I've shot a ton of .308 through it, a fair bit of .260...and a little of .338lm.

Its a great system. But I'm buying a AI to replace it now.

That has to be a first. I feel like everyone raves about the DTA SRS. Looking at it, its seems like it may be a little awkward to keep proper cheek weld and work the bolt. I have seen the video showing the ease, but still I'm a little leery. What made you decide you want to switch to the AICS? Are you going AE or AW?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I'll put this out to the op. I've owned a DTA for over a year, I've shot a ton of .308 through it, a fair bit of .260...and a little of .338lm.

Its a great system. But I'm buying a AI to replace it now.
</div></div>

Going AW.

Its a few things that have added up over the year. Just little things that annoy me....though I will say I hate their mags with a passion and they aren't worth the price they charge by a long shot.

Once you get used to the system you won't even notice the cheek weld, and working the bolt is the same way, Once you get used to it you'll like it.

*shrugs*

Just my opinion.

Its all about personal preference. I have a rifle in an AICS and the DTA. I like the feel of the DTA better. I know an AICS isn't the same as the MKII, but ergonomics of the stock are the same. The only way you will know what feels best to you is to try them out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference in price between a TRG-22 and an AE MkII evaporates if you buy even one or two spare magazines for the TRG. Buy a bipod, and there's no difference at all in price between them. </div></div>I like you Jon, and I have both, so I certainly don't have a dog in this fight. But I have seen this math before, and it doesn't add up.

Just curious.</div></div>

Fair enough!

Let's compare everything first at retail, though, since you're mixing up retail and heavily discounted (below MAP) prices in your analysis. My previous statement was made from the basis of comparison of $2700 for a TRG, and the AE at 'Hide member discounted pricing (PM for more info).

The TRG-22 base model in green or black has an MSRP of $2850, with a MAP of $2698. MSRP on the 10rd magazine is $259. MSRP on the bipod is $610. MSRP on the factory sling is $75, $147, or $150 depending on model and color. MSRP on the TRG high picatinny rail is $360. MSRP on the Optilok mounts range from $519 to $595 for the Optilock QD scope mount. If you've got the TRG high picatinny rail, you can then use the Optilock picatinny mounts, with an MSRP of $163, which is basically a wash. MSRP on the folding stock is $2,860 (more than the rifle itself!).

In comparison, MSRP/UPL on the AE MkII base model is $3369 ($519 more than the TRG). MSRP on the 10rd magazine is $77.28 ($181.72 less than TRG). MSRP on the bipod is $357 ($253 less than the TRG). MSRP on the factory sling is $67-73 ($2-73 less than the TRG). MSRP on the rail is $0, since it comes already installed on the rifle ($360 less than the TRG). MSRP on a picatinny scope mount is $195. And MSRP on the folding stock option is $422 ($2438 less than the TRG).

So in other words, that initial $519 difference in favor of the TRG is eaten up as soon as you add the picatinny rail to the TRG ($360 right there - now a difference of $159), and buy a spare magazine ($181.72 - bringing the AE to $22.72 less than the TRG). Even if you forgo the rail and go with a Sako Optilock scope mount, at MSRP you're burning between $324 and $400 more than an AE with the AI picatinny scope mount. Again, add a spare magazine and you're back up to the same point as the AE. If like most people, you want 4-5 spare magazines for your rifle system, it's going to cost $726.88-$908.60 more than buying the same number for your AE.

Even if you buy the aftermarket mag well adapter mentioned earlier in the thread, you're spending $298 right there just to get to the same per-magazine price as the AE (except then you're left with one extra TRG magazine that won't work in your rifle, that you'll have to sell).

To carry this out to its logical conclusion, let's compare a pair of fully-equipped rifles, complete with all comparable factory accessories and gear one might want:

TRG-22 Green Folding Stock $4560
TRG Picatinny rail $360
TRG Muzzle brake $259
TRG Optilock picatinny scope mount $163
TRG Bipod $610
TRG 10rd Mag x 4 $1036
TRG Green Sling $150
Total: $7138

AE MkII Green Folder w/ Muzzle Brake $4118
AE Picatinny rail $0 (Included with rifle)
AE Muzzle Brake $0 (Included with rifle)
AE Picatinny Scope Mount $195
AE Bipod $357
AE 10rd Mag x 4 $309
AE Biathlon Sling $73
Total: $5052

Total difference - the AE is $2082 less than the TRG-22.

With that said, Beretta has recently discounted lots (though not all) of the TRG accessories down in price temporarily on their website. Even at the discounted prices, their sling is still $32 more than the AI, their magazine is still $108 more per mag, the bipod $132 extra, and the mounts $74-154 above the AI model. Street prices will obviously vary considerably, but at the end of the day, realistically the only way a TRG-22 is cheaper than a comparable AE is if you buy the TRG, duct-tape the scope to the receiver, only use one magazine, and never add a single accessory to the rifle. Between the actual street pricing on a new TRG-22, and the Hide discount on an AE, the difference shouldn't be significant enough to matter to anyone who's buying an actual mount for their scope, instead of duct-taping it onto the rifle. :p For that matter, it should be mentioned that someone *really* on a budget always has the option of using cheap aftermarket picatinny rings on the AE...not so much on the TRG.

To sum all of it up, the important factor isn't price (although by now I think it's clear that the AE is the less expensive system by the end of the day), but rather which rifle feels and fits the best for you the actual shooter.

Man. Get the rifle YOU want. Otherwise you will always feel unfulfilled and start second guessing your decision. You just wont be happy if it is not what YOU want.

This is why I got an AW over an AE. Sure It could have saved me big bucks to get the AEand I know for the shooting I do the AE would have been more suited for me, but I really wanted the AW.

I would tell you to go Sako TRG as I think it is the most accurate rifle with the best trigger out of the box period, but you said you liked it the least so Get the one you like the best.

If you decide you dont like it, you can sell it right here and get back most of your investment and try something else. This is the good thing about bench rifles.

I have the AE MKII(both a .308 and .260 barrel) and the TRG 22. I would buy the trg again. I run a LaRue/harris bi pod and it works just fine.

I will say this...if you get the DTA....get the Covert. I think thats the better deal at the moment. You can use shorter barrels, and I shot my SRS with the bipod right on the handguards most of the time.

Why do you prefer the TRG-22? Is it the ergos, accuracy or something else? In your opinion which one seems to be more accurate comparing the .308's AE and TRG?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zia shooter 1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the AE MKII(both a .308 and .260 barrel) and the TRG 22. I would buy the trg again. I run a LaRue/harris bi pod and it works just fine. </div></div>

Camaroguy- accuracy wise all 3 rifles are a non issue. All 3 should easily be .5 minute rifles, and in a tactical rifle, when would you ever exploit accuracy much more than that? I have never shot the DTA, but in talking to the guys that have, they love them. However, from a pure accuracy standpoint, I haven't gotten a finite answer, but the consensus from these guys is that the AI is more of a precision rifle than the DTA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fair enough!

Let's compare everything first at retail, though, since you're mixing up retail and heavily discounted (below MAP) prices in your analysis. My previous statement was made from the basis of comparison of $2700 for a TRG, and the AE at 'Hide member discounted pricing (PM for more info).

The TRG-22 base model in green or black has an MSRP of $2850, with a MAP of $2698. MSRP on the 10rd magazine is $259. MSRP on the bipod is $610. MSRP on the factory sling is $75, $147, or $150 depending on model and color. MSRP on the TRG high picatinny rail is $360. MSRP on the Optilok mounts range from $519 to $595 for the Optilock QD scope mount. If you've got the TRG high picatinny rail, you can then use the Optilock picatinny mounts, with an MSRP of $163, which is basically a wash. MSRP on the folding stock is $2,860 (more than the rifle itself!).

In comparison, MSRP/UPL on the AE MkII base model is $3369 ($519 more than the TRG). MSRP on the 10rd magazine is $77.28 ($181.72 less than TRG). MSRP on the bipod is $357 ($253 less than the TRG). MSRP on the factory sling is $67-73 ($2-73 less than the TRG). MSRP on the rail is $0, since it comes already installed on the rifle ($360 less than the TRG). MSRP on a picatinny scope mount is $195. And MSRP on the folding stock option is $422 ($2438 less than the TRG).

So in other words, that initial $519 difference in favor of the TRG is eaten up as soon as you add the picatinny rail to the TRG ($360 right there - now a difference of $159), and buy a spare magazine ($181.72 - bringing the AE to $22.72 less than the TRG). Even if you forgo the rail and go with a Sako Optilock scope mount, at MSRP you're burning between $324 and $400 more than an AE with the AI picatinny scope mount. Again, add a spare magazine and you're back up to the same point as the AE. If like most people, you want 4-5 spare magazines for your rifle system, it's going to cost $726.88-$908.60 more than buying the same number for your AE.

Even if you buy the aftermarket mag well adapter mentioned earlier in the thread, you're spending $298 right there just to get to the same per-magazine price as the AE (except then you're left with one extra TRG magazine that won't work in your rifle, that you'll have to sell).

To carry this out to its logical conclusion, let's compare a pair of fully-equipped rifles, complete with all comparable factory accessories and gear one might want:

TRG-22 Green Folding Stock $4560
TRG Picatinny rail $360
TRG Muzzle brake $259
TRG Optilock picatinny scope mount $163
TRG Bipod $610
TRG 10rd Mag x 4 $1036
TRG Green Sling $150
Total: $7138

AE MkII Green Folder w/ Muzzle Brake $4118
AE Bipod $357
AE 10rd Mag x 4 $309
AE Biathlon Sling $73
Total: $5052

Total difference - the AE is $2082 less than the TRG-22.

With that said, Beretta has recently discounted lots (though not all) of the TRG accessories down in price temporarily on their website. Even at the discounted prices, their sling is still $32 more than the AI, their magazine is still $108 more per mag, the bipod $132 extra, and the mounts $74-154 above the AI model. Street prices will obviously vary considerably, but at the end of the day, realistically the only way a TRG-22 is cheaper than a comparable AE is if you buy the TRG, duct-tape the scope to the receiver, only use one magazine, and never add a single accessory to the rifle. Between the actual street pricing on a new TRG-22, and the Hide discount on an AE, the difference shouldn't be significant enough to matter to anyone who's buying an actual mount for their scope, instead of duct-taping it onto the rifle. :p For that matter, it should be mentioned that someone *really* on a budget always has the option of using cheap aftermarket picatinny rings on the AE...not so much on the TRG.

To sum all of it up, the important factor isn't price (although by now I think it's clear that the AE is the less expensive system by the end of the day), but rather which rifle feels and fits the best for you the actual shooter. </div></div>Well, as I said in my post, if you are going FOLDER to FOLDER, the math isn't going to add up.

Especially now, Beretta's website doesn't show it, but the new TRG-22 folder is $5995!

But for what it's worth, the folder DOES include a free pic rail, so your above math is off by a little bit.

Go with the AE and be stylin:

112610%20006.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, as I said in my post, if you are going FOLDER to FOLDER, the math isn't going to add up.

Especially now, Beretta's website doesn't show it, but the new TRG-22 folder is $5995!

But for what it's worth, the folder DOES include a free pic rail, so your above math is off by a little bit.</div></div>

$5995!?!? <span style="font-weight: bold">*GULP*</span> That's AW territory right there...

Even ignoring the folders, consider the retail on relatively bare-bones setups, <span style="font-weight: bold">even at discounted prices on the TRG accessories</span>:

TRG-22 Green $2850
TRG Muzzle brake $200
TRG Optilock Scope Mount $269
TRG Bipod $450
TRG 10rd Mag x 4 $740
TRG Tactical Sling $99
Total: $4608

AE MkII Green Fixed w/ Muzzle Brake $3696
AE Bipod $357
AE 10rd Mag x 4 $309
AE Green Sling $67
Total: $4429

You're almost $200 under the TRG package costs, and that's at full retail on the AE and its accessories.

Jon.

I again would like to invite you to PM me your discounted prices, as this was purely for discussion. I have already researched real world Sako prices, if you would like to offer me real world AI prices (I got all my figures off your site, I didn't realize you offer better prices) then we could have some SOLID data, rather than talking all these hypotheticals.

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon.

I again would like to invite you to PM me your discounted prices, as this was purely for discussion. I have already researched real world Sako prices, if you would like to offer me real world AI prices (I got all my figures off your site, I didn't realize you offer better prices) then we could have some SOLID data, rather than talking all these hypotheticals.

-Bob </div></div>

Then one of y'all can forward me the PM thread because it's an interesting argument.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jon.

-Bob </div></div>

Then one of y'all can forward me the PM thread because it's an interesting argument.
grin.gif
</div></div>

PMs sent.
smile.gif

If I wanted an AE with a 24" barrel is there a factory option that comes with a muzzle brake or at least threads or would I have to pay extra for thread work on the barrel and if so how much?

I'm considering a TRG-22 in 26" barrel and an AE in 24" barrel. Each will have a fixed stock, brake and bipod to get me going and that's it for now. One mag is fine for me. I'll get all Optic mounting hardware elsewhere or other brands.

TRG 26"(2670 locally with tax included @ 7.0+%), Bipod (450), Brake (200) - Total = $3,320

AE 24"(3369 less discount), Bipod (357), Brake (???) = $3,726 + ??? - Discount

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBsteel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I wanted an AE with a 24" barrel is there a factory option that comes with a muzzle brake or at least threads or would I have to pay extra for thread work on the barrel and if so how much?

I'm considering a TRG-22 in 26" barrel and an AE in 24" barrel. Each will have a fixed stock, brake and bipod to get me going and that's it for now. One mag is fine for me. I'll get all Optic mounting hardware elsewhere or other brands.

TRG 26"(2670 locally with tax included @ 7.0+%), Bipod (450), Brake (200) - Total = $3,320

AE 24"(3369 less discount), Bipod (357), Brake (???) = $3,726 + ??? - Discount </div></div>

PM sent
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bward</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its all about personal preference. I have a rifle in an AICS and the DTA. I like the feel of the DTA better. I know an AICS isn't the same as the MKII, but ergonomics of the stock are the same. The only way you will know what feels best to you is to try them out.</div></div>
I personally like DTA SRS - its ergonomics - <span style="text-decoration: underline">much</span> better than AICS (in fact my AICS will soon show up in the For-Sale forum of SH
wink.gif
). My AICS is stage 2.0 (folding) so I guess I experienced the best this stock can offer. I'd love to keep both just for the fun of it - but money need is pressing so I'm disposing of the one I like and use less (AICS). Like this gentleman (except that he has AE, not AICS):
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have both the AE MKII (308) and DTA SRS...in fact I have 2 DTA SRS rifles 243 and 338. While I do like the AE if I could only have one rifle the DTA would be my choice. Both rifles work flawlessly but th DTA provides options that simply can not be had with the AE. I also put additional value on the SRS length...or lack there of when comparing barrel length.</div></div>

If you think you'd ever consider multiple calibers - then DTA is a simple choice (and a good one!). If you're fairly certain you're going to stick with just one caliber - then decide if the shorter overall length of the bullpup DTA SRS and its better (IMHO) ergonomics are worth some extra dollars.

The TRG shoots the 185 and 155 lapua better then the AE shot its perferd load with 168. The 185 and 155 I feel are better at long range than the 168. As far a ergos I like the AI stocks better then the TRG but not by much. I feel the TRG is just a well rounded rifle, fit and finsh is good, trigger is great, not to heavy not to light and accurate.

I bought my TRG (black stock Phos. finsh) new for 2300 so there was plent of extra funds to buy those $$$$ mags.

I also dont think there is much wrong with a custom build. I thinking about building a AICS/REM to replace the AE MKII that way I can get everything right.

If you get the DTA you have the option of changing the caliber at a different point without having to buy additional glass. Depending on the quality of glass you are using this could be an entirely new rifle for you.

I would suggest the AE MK II with the folding stock as my suggestion out of the 3 choices.

I have also heard great things about the TRG rifles and a lot of people love them.

I think it's really down to those 2

Also as a nice option, buy the barrel change kit for the AI rifles (either AW or AE) and you can easily swap to a different caliber (such as .243 or .260 etc) or change barrels as needed.

If you are getting ready to dump 3k into a rifle and out of the box accuracy is your primary objective, you are looking in the wrong place. All the rifles are more accurate than I would ebet you are, but if you want accurate over anything else, just give George a call and tell him that. He will hook you up.

816-221-1844

I have both a AE MKII with a 5-25x56 S&B and a TRG42 with a 5x25x56 Premier in 338 lapua. Just a few obesrvations:

The TRG42 with a 26" barrel is ~2 LBS *lighter* than the AE MKII with a 20" barrel.

The only real use I have found for the folding stock on the AE is so that I don't have to remove the adjustable check rest when removing the bolt. With the trg42 I have not yet had a situation where I said ... I wish this stock folded.

You have other mounting options for the TRG than what is being listed here. You have the sphur mount which is very similar to the AI amount or you can do an aftermarket rail/ring setup for ~$250.

You don't have to use the Sako bipod on the TRG (Harris with an adapter works).

TRG mags are insanely expensive for what they are... that being said I personally don't need 5 mags... 2 work fine for what I do. So given the prices above as long as you don't need a ton of mags the TRG will still be cheaper. Also if you want a ton of mags for the TRG I recently saw a AICS mag conversion for the trg, for ~$250. In the end if you want more than 4-5 mags it would be cheaper to go with that.

Looking at both guns I fail to see why you couldn't use the same sling on both.

Finally the trigger on the TRG is better. Not to say that the AE's is bad it's just the TRG has a phenomenal trigger

In the end they are all great guns I would get the one that *you* like the most and just go shooting.

I've tried about every bipod you can think of for my TRG22, including the factory model......just save your $$$$ and get the ATLAS.

Its hard to beat the TRG22 in value for its level of performance....just don't fall for the line of thinking that the accessories are going to run up the price tag of your "system".....NEAR makes a great picatinny base, as well as a super muzzle brake...get the ATLAS bipod....the only thing you need besides the rifle from SAKO is a couple of spare mags. BTW, they are GREAT mags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: camaroguy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking to purchase a high end .308 bolt gun for some precision shooting and maybe some varmint hunting. I'm undecided between the AICS AE MKII, Desert Tactical SRS .308 or a Sako TRG-22. I like the Sako least, but the price is lower than the AE and DTA. So out of the three which rifle will have the most inherent accuracy straight out of the box? That's really the most important thing to me. Planning on using a NF NXS 5.5-22 x50 NP-R1 scope. </div></div>

Get a 26" TRG non folder if your looking for out of the box accuracy as # 1 importance. Spend the rest of your money on ammo and go shoot ! I have never seen one that wouldn't shoot sub .5moa with factory Lapua ammo.
The DTA will bite your support hand with the mag in certain shooting situations, if you shoot in the cold with thick gloves your check weld will have to be broken to cycle the bolt. Limited mag capacity. The trigger isn't close to the TRG overall. Seems finicky with ammo as it relates to moa performance.

The AI... its an AI. Shoots good,built strong,heavy by design,trigger is pretty dang good. Most will shoot .5 moa and better. They dont seem to like 155 Lapua compared to 167 or 185.

Wont talk to retail,MAP,or dealer pricing as it dosnt matter for the OP. I have seen brand new TRG 22's for $2200 bucks that can be had by anybody. thats a pretty dang good buy for what you get.

I think the accesories debate has been beat to death....so I will leave it lay.

Above is just my thinking and based on factory Lapua ammo only...when I have free time,I would rather shoot than reload.