• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AE Mkiii or Defiance Deviant build

jake6547

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2011
MD
Need a little help fellas, I just sold my AR-10 to get a 308 bolt gun. I bought a Allen Engineering AE30 suppressor and plan on running a 16-18 inch barrel, definitely want a AI chassis with the new pistol grip skins. And last would like to keep it reasonably light for hunting. So with all my parameters in mind what direction do you guys recommend going. First option- buy a Accuracy international AE Mkiii, cutting and machine the barrel and be done. Sencond- Get the new AT that I think will be a little to heavy and more expensive then what I really need but badd ass, or Third- do build with a Defiance Deviant bartlein barrel in a AICS.
Thanks In advance
Jake

Last edited:
The word light and AI don't go together.

Do you want to shoot groundhogs with any of the chambering a AI offers?

Yeah definitely not light either way. Those ai chassis even on a deviant will still be heavy for lots of carry. The ai will be difficult as said earlier to get a caliber you would want for ground hogs and in a contour you want. You can get the pre metric threaded benchmarks but the deviant would be much easier to send to any gunsmith and be able to buy a bartlein.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I would prefer a 308, I know that AI aren't light at all so thats not as important. I just know the MKiii is a good bit lighter then the aw and at.

You're talking a difference in ounces between a deviant in a AICS, a AE MKIII, and a AT.

Buy the AT and don't look back. It's worth the cost difference over the AT and then some just for the mags, and trigger. Also if you will be hunting with it the flush cups on the AT are also a benefit as they're much quieter than the noisey HK hooks on the AE and legacy AICS.

If your shooting GH wouldn't a cartridge with more range beneficial? Shooting a 308 out of that short of a barrel your effective range is not going to be much.

Jake, go ahead and get that AI buddy. Cut the barrel down and enjoy. If it's too heavy I recommend increasing your intensity in the gym.

Yes very true I do have a 6.5x47 that would probably fit the bill better and will also be used for the same purpose, I have been checking out the 16-18 inch barrel bolt gun thread and would like to pursue that.
If your shooting GH wouldn't a cartridge with more range beneficial? Shooting a 308 out of that short of a barrel your effective range is not going to be much.

Haha yea i think thats a good idea anyway, time to add some more weight to the weight vest and shoot for over 20 reps.

Jake, go ahead and get that AI buddy. Cut the barrel down and enjoy. If it's too heavy I recommend increasing your intensity in the gym.

Depending on how you set it up you're looking at about 15-18lbs for an AT. Mine with 24" barrel, NF F1 and spuhr mount is right at 16.5lbs.

I guess the root of my question also stems from never actually handing a factory AI gun and Im just looking to get some real world opinions on them. I guess the ground hog comment was more of a side note not a primary use.

The only people you'll hear any negative comments from about AI's are those than haven't owned them and gunsmiths because they don't make any money on them. I've owned several AI's, plus a ton of other rifles and AI makes hands down the best rifles I've ever used. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I know I have read a few threads on here that people said rem 700 or clones are no where near as nice as a factory AI guns. Guess I just wanted to get a few more opinions on the topic. Thanks for the info!

The only people you'll hear any negative comments from about AI's are those than haven't owned them and gunsmiths because they don't make any money on them. I've owned several AI's, plus a ton of other rifles and AI makes hands down the best rifles I've ever used. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

I know I have read a few threads on here that people said rem 700 or clones are no where near as nice as a factory AI guns. Guess I just wanted to get a few more opinions on the topic. Thanks for the info!
I think this is just a strange thread. If it was "get a deviant or an ai" the conclusion would be ai. The purpose of the rifle is what is confusing everyone. It seems an odd choice. But if you like shooting low velocity 308 rounds at varmints then heck yeah get the best out there. you'll enjoy it for every other kind of shooting too. amazing trigger and butter smooth action. you can't read about how nice an ai is. You have to handle one and fire it to really understand it's majesty

I feel that I addressed a few of the things you commented on just 2 post above, just wanted to make sure you read that. No doubt a short barrel 308 is not ideal for that I guess the bottom line it comes down to wanting a badass short barrel 308 what one would you guys choose. sorry for the strangeness.
[
QUOTE=bkw1911;3176545]I think this is just a strange thread. If it was "get a deviant or an ai" the conclusion would be ai. The purpose of the rifle is what is confusing everyone. It seems an odd choice. But if you like shooting low velocity 308 rounds at varmints then heck yeah get the best out there. you'll enjoy it for every other kind of shooting too. amazing trigger and butter smooth action. you can't read about how nice an ai is. You have to handle one and fire it to really understand it's majesty

I feel that I addressed a few of the things you commented on just 2 post above, just wanted to make sure you read that. No doubt a short barrel 308 is not ideal for that I guess the bottom line it comes down to wanting a badass short barrel 308 what one would you guys choose. sorry for the strangeness.
[
QUOTE=bkw1911;3176545]I think this is just a strange thread. If it was "get a deviant or an ai" the conclusion would be ai. The purpose of the rifle is what is confusing everyone. It seems an odd choice. But if you like shooting low velocity 308 rounds at varmints then heck yeah get the best out there. you'll enjoy it for every other kind of shooting too. amazing trigger and butter smooth action. you can't read about how nice an ai is. You have to handle one and fire it to really understand it's majesty
Now I see the "side note" comment. haha. I'm pretty sure the only time I see ai's for sale is when guys are upgrading to the next level of ai. It will definitely be the baddest little 308 you'll own. I'm wanting bottom metal for them so I can throw one in a mcmillan or manners. maybe one day.

So is the AT worth the extra weight and price? to be honest Ive been leaning towards the Mkiii. Europtics has some pretty crazy prices on them. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on the AT yet.
Now I see the "side note" comment. haha. I'm pretty sure the only time I see ai's for sale is when guys are upgrading to the next level of ai. It will definitely be the baddest little 308 you'll own. I'm wanting bottom metal for them so I can throw one in a mcmillan or manners. maybe one day.

So is the AT worth the extra weight and price? to be honest Ive been leaning towards the Mkiii. Europtics has some pretty crazy prices on them. I haven't heard a lot of reviews on the AT yet.
I think redneck probably could tell you more since he seems to own about 100 ai's but I think if you plan on barrel swapping later then it's totally worth it. much easier. and flush cups are a plus. I've only dealt with a mkiii and it was still better than any other bolt gun I've ever owned or fired. There are some deals on mkiiis lately that are tough to pass up with multiple barrels and such.

I guess the root of my question also stems from never actually handing a factory AI gun and Im just looking to get some real world opinions on them. I guess the ground hog comment was more of a side note not a primary use.

I ordered another one yesterday (an AE in .308). I'm putting a .243 barrel on it for prairie dogs. I shoot mostly off the hood of a Jeep, I suggest something similar as they are heavy to hump around. New .308 AE's are at firesale prices. 3rd AI (one is an AW) Buttery smooth actions and shoot very well. (add a thunderbeast can and what a great varmint rig)

So just curious It seems like the AT should be a good bit heavier then the AE because of how much more beefier the action is. True/false?
Depending on how you set it up you're looking at about 15-18lbs for an AT. Mine with 24" barrel, NF F1 and spuhr mount is right at 16.5lbs.

The difference is negligible, it's a couple ounces. When you're talking about two rifles, both of which have heavy beefy actions, 6lbs chassis, and a heavy barrel a few ounces is nothing. The scope you choose will play more of a part in weight than the action. The benefits to the AT greatly outweigh any downsides, downsides to which I'm not aware of. If the two rifles were sitting side by side I guarantee you would pick the AT.

Ordered a AE MKIII from eurooptic. Thanks for the help fellas. My goal is to get the AT next year in a 260

My new 6.5 Creedmoor AE MKiii folder is scheduled to deliver tomorrow. It's the last one EuroOptic had in-stock! With having it and my 308 AE Mkiii I plan to start off-loading some other rifles, as they will simply are no longer needed.

My new 6.5 Creedmoor AE MKiii folder is scheduled to deliver tomorrow. It's the last one EuroOptic had in-stock! With having it and my 308 AE Mkiii I plan to start off-loading some other rifles, as they will simply are no longer needed.

+1, got my AE .308 today from EuroOptic, put a CTK monopod on it already. Have a couple other AIs, like you said, time to thin the herd of other branded bolts I won't shoot anymore.

R+B rifles

Need a little help fellas, I just sold my AR-10 to get a 308 bolt gun. I bought a Allen Engineering AE30 suppressor and plan on running a 16-18 inch barrel, definitely want a AI chassis with the new pistol grip skins. And last would like to keep it reasonably light for hunting. So with all my parameters in mind what direction do you guys recommend going. First option- buy a Accuracy international AE Mkiii, cutting and machine the barrel and be done. Sencond- Get the new AT that I think will be a little to heavy and more expensive then what I really need but badd ass, or Third- do build with a Defiance Deviant bartlein barrel in a AICS.
Thanks In advance
Jake

Take a look at the work R+B rifles does. He offers defiant actions and does some nice work. I would also consider 6x47 or 6.5 creedmoor. Absolute tackdrivers!