• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Affordable Action

bigjake722003

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2010
Elizabeth, WV
I am starting a new winter project. I was a reliable action that is affordable $500ish range. I am not expecting this action to shoot for a mile its just something to play with over the winter. Thanks ahead for any info

Re: Affordable Action

You are talking action only?
Not a barreled action?

You have three choices in that price range.

Remington, Savage and Howa.

Quality wise, the Howa is probably the best of the three, but lacks support. Very few aftermarket stocks etc...

Keep eyes peeled for an FN SPR action. Hundreds were sold several years ago thru CDNN, and can still be found for ~$300-500.

Excellent actions.

Surgeon?

....I keed. You might be able to get your hands on a trued 700 action. Comb the PX.

Savage would be my choice. Cheap to put a barrel on too

rem actions just suck compared to the likes of savage, tikka, stevens, fn, or howa...

my suggestion would be to go just go BUY a savage Axis rifle in the caliber you want...they're under $300 and you can shoot it while you gather a stock and better barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rem actions just suck compared to the likes of savage, tikka, stevens, fn, or howa...</div></div>

Really?

Stevens 200 action for $235 from Northland Shooters Supply.

Complete Stevens 200 rifles many places are just over $300, but maybe Academy Sports will have them on sale again this year in short and long action for $179 like they did last year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon?

....I keed. You might be able to get your hands on a trued 700 action. Comb the PX. </div></div>

Ill take all the 500 dollar Surgeons you have

Rem 700 action, thank me later.

How far are you going with your winter project if your looking at attempting your own action blue printing etc get the remmy their just so simple and if your going to get someone to do the work everyone knows how to work on the remmy action and like I said the parts are common

I have a Savage target action and love it. you can even change the bolt heads for differet calibers. also Manners and McMillan make stocks and now there are target triggers for them to. but the accu trigger is nice. Also the single shot action is stout strenght wise! BTW mine shoots lite out with a Krieger barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surgeon?

....I keed. You might be able to get your hands on a trued 700 action. Comb the PX. </div></div>

Ill take all the 500 dollar Surgeons you have </div></div>

If I knew where to get a $500 Surgeon, I'd tell no one and horde that shit like smeagle and his prescious.