• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Affordable Borescope/Fiberscope

pl259

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NH, USA
Anyone have a recommendation for a lesser expensive borescope or fiberscope, than the basic Hawkeye?

Re: Affordable Borescope/Fiberscope

Nobody? There are several imports out there that look promising.

I'm getting ready to purchase a boroscope myself. My research so far has turned up Hawkeye as the buy once, cry once frontrunner. I have come up dry on a cheaper alternative.

I know some of the guys over at Northeastshooters have experimented with some of the cheaper alternatives with unsatisfactory results. It was an interesting thread, but I'm too lazy to find it and link it for you.
laugh.gif

Good reference. I'm a member over there and will go check it out. I've been looking at some of the Visual Optics products. They're in the couple hundred dollar range.

I have used some cheaper ones, most are directional as in straight ahead not at an angle to see the lands and grooves. Maybe look on Ebay I have seen several for sale there.

I bought myself a Hawkeye for a birthday present....the only thing it needed was a LED upgrade to the Mini-mag light, which I found at Home Depot, where it was a lot cheaper than the Hawkeye LED option. Amazing what evil lurks in those lands and grooves. Cried once...great unit! You even can take digital photos through the eyepiece, if your hand is steady enough.

I bought a scope off the mac truck once. I should have saved for the hawkeye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used some cheaper ones, most are directional as in straight ahead not at an angle to see the lands and grooves. Maybe look on Ebay I have seen several for sale there. </div></div>

Some of the ones I'm looking at, have a 90 degree mirror attachment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought myself a Hawkeye for a birthday present....the only thing it needed was a LED upgrade to the Mini-mag light, which I found at Home Depot, where it was a lot cheaper than the Hawkeye LED option. Amazing what evil lurks in those lands and grooves. Cried once...great unit! You even can take digital photos through the eyepiece, if your hand is steady enough. </div></div>

I can appreciate the cry once approach. Then again maybe I don't want to see what evil lurks in there after all. LOL

I'm working with cast bullets so knowing early whether you're getting fouling is a good thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used some cheaper ones, most are directional as in straight ahead not at an angle to see the lands and grooves. Maybe look on Ebay I have seen several for sale there. </div></div>

</div></div>

I have one. A 36" non obedient with the mirror and magnet attachments. It works, but its a struggle compared to a hawkeye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought myself a Hawkeye for a birthday present....the only thing it needed was a LED upgrade to the Mini-mag light, which I found at Home Depot, where it was a lot cheaper than the Hawkeye LED option. Amazing what evil lurks in those lands and grooves. Cried once...great unit! You even can take digital photos through the eyepiece, if your hand is steady enough. </div></div>

I can appreciate the cry once approach. Then again maybe I don't want to see what evil lurks in there after all. LOL

I'm working with cast bullets so knowing early whether you're getting fouling is a good thing.

</div></div>

Oh, you definitely need one then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used some cheaper ones, most are directional as in straight ahead not at an angle to see the lands and grooves. Maybe look on Ebay I have seen several for sale there. </div></div>

</div></div>

I have one. A 36" non obedient with the mirror and magnet attachments. It works, but its a struggle compared to a hawkeye. </div></div>

Can you say which one and what you like/dislike about it?

We have 3 Hawkeyes in our shop that are used every week. Worth every penny if you need one. The service from Gradient Lens is among the best anywhere.

Watch out on those " budget" bores copes, they may end up being more expensive in the long run!

Great thread. I bought a Hawkeye about 12 or 15 years ago and use it for much more than just checking barrel bores. It is really handy when tearing down or assembling guns, engines, etc. I even use it as a microscope when threading or trying to read %&$!! jet sizes for a carburetor.

Mine is only about 8" long and does not have the 90 degree mirror. I checked a longer one in a barrel at the Shot Show last week. The salesman said the 16" (or so) long model was the most popular because it's not overly cumbersome (like the 22" model) and you can stick it in both ends of a barrel if need be. I did not feel that the view with the 90 degree mirror was $800 better than looking at the barrel through the straight lens of my short model, but I would love to hear about a long version at a lower price.

Note- The Hawkeye will not fit down a .17 barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hero's machine</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ecg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LARMIKE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have used some cheaper ones, most are directional as in straight ahead not at an angle to see the lands and grooves. Maybe look on Ebay I have seen several for sale there. </div></div>

</div></div>

I have one. A 36" non obedient with the mirror and magnet attachments. It works, but its a struggle compared to a hawkeye. </div></div>

Can you say which one and what you like/dislike about it? </div></div>

I like the fact that it allows me to look anywhere 36" will reach. It is not as clear as the gradient offerings....I can see it like looking through a Walmart bushnell blister pack 22 scope. The hawkeye would be a nice s&b. It works, but leave me struggling often.

For what it's worth? I have the Lyman. Got it about 3 months ago and for me it's fine.
I paid $180 for it.
I initially got it to check out 2 barrels the were showing signs of being bad.
1st barrel was getting high pressure to an extremely dangerous point.
Second barrel accuracy was getting really bad.

The Lyman showed the problems easily.
I say easily because after serching the web I had narrowed the problems down.

George at GAP talked about barrels and clients saying their barrels were shot out.
He said many just were not cleaned right. As he borescoped them and then explained the finding. Carbon fouling was the main issue!

So I took that knowledge got the Lyman and checked mine out.

1st barrel was loaded with carbon!
2nd was shootout!

1st barrel I went through an extremely vigorous cleaning process and the Lyman was vitial in showing the progress.

So to me it paid for itself already.
Ammo and barrels are expensive and a borescope takes the guesswork out.

That being said the Layman is GTG.

Reactions: Sieg
After writing the previous, I searched eBay and Amazon. Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman borescope?
It works. I was a bit disappointed with the screen that comes with it as far as clarity goes, but once I pull the pictures off a SD card onto a computer, the camera is actually pretty decent. I got it with the hopes of being able to cut the camera down to about 6" to use while the barrel is in the lathe, but never got around to looking to see if that is even possible.
Bore Cam 005.JPG
Bore Cam 007.JPG
Bore Cam 008.JPG

I am really glad to hear that. I have been trying to make do with one of those cheap USB things. The ones that fit down the bore are too dim and the bright ones can only show the chamber and a bit of the throat, plus low resolution and too long in focus distance. At around $200, the Lyman certainly looks like an acceptable alternative to forking out megabucks on the alternative.

Thanks much.

I believe I have the newer version as their #04055 matches mine. From Lyman msrp $320
I got mine from a dealer online on sale for $180 maybe 3 months ago. Shop around

Brownells has the lyman for 175. Just be sure when checking your cleaning progress to dry patch the bore first! The cameras are not sealed in the lyman and you will kill it.

Brownells has the lyman for 175. Just be sure when checking your cleaning progress to dry patch the bore first! The cameras are not sealed in the lyman and you will kill it.

I done this when I 1st got mine.
The q-tip they send will not be able to get to the lens or mirror for that fact. I thought I had damaged mine. I ended up putting dish soap on it then rinsed it off with hot tap water luckily it worked !
Like you stated 'run a DRY patch through the bore 1st'.

You are extremely lucky! Liquids will get inside the electronics for sure. I cant say it enough...dry patch, dry patch, dry patch!

You are extremely lucky! Liquids will get inside the electronics for sure. I cant say it enough...dry patch, dry patch, dry patch!

They do supply you with a bottle of lens cleaner so I don't believe liquids in general will damage it but solvents could do nasty stuff to the instrument.
Just one question: have you damaged one this way?

I'm speaking from experience and I've seen no reviews stating what you claim.
Anyway it always is good to be careful with high dollar tools.
Solvents can destroy about anything and the smallest amount of dirt on the lens or mirror will definitely make the tool worthless until it's cleaned.

As much as I would hate to admit. Yes, bore chemicals will damage the bore scope. I thought that they would be sealed, but they are not. Chemicals will, can, and do get inside the camera and light unit and damage it.

Lyman has awesome customer service though and did replace mine... twice. Please dry patch your bore as you check your progress.

I spray the q tip with the cleaner before cleaning the mirror. I don't apply the spray direct to the unit.

Even if I have lightly oiled the bore, I will dry patch it once before using the scope to check it. It seems a bit anal, but better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
so is the lyman the way to go? I was thinking about getting one of those "anroid phone" usb ones.

I've had my Hawkeye for approximately 25+ years now and it has served me very well. I did upgrade to the LED light a few years ago, but that's it. IMO... it's the best investment I've made in gun care equipment.

Todd